Driving

P45

Depends on the size of the roundabout/position of the 2nd exit, though?

And if you take the outside lane it makes it clear to the cars on the first exit to wait till you pass, instead of having to mind read whether you can't be bothered signaling left or are carrying on.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the things I've noticed recently which I can't get my head round is people approaching a roundabout and are planning on going straight through. They will put their indicator on signalling to the right, and when they are approaching their exit will put their left indicator on. It's fucking mental.

My wife has only recently passed her test and started lecturing me about failing to signal when going straight through a roundabout. We drink with a driving instructor in our local and she brought it up with him, turns out I'm in the wrong and this crazy signaling is how we should drive straight through roundabouts now. I don't remember being taught to do this and it makes absolutely no sense to me.

Driving from London to Inverness on Wednesday which might be fun for about an hour or so. Anyone got any favourite service stations in the UK? I'll obviously be stopping at Tebay which is clearly the best one.

Tebay, like all of them, is horrifically overpriced. Come off at Carlisle North and you have your choice of pub food, Asda, Morrisons, KFC or Macdonalds within two minutes.

I passed my test two years back and the official line was if you're going straight through then you don't signal on approach and just indicate left as you're leaving like normal

If you're going fast enough you don't need to indicate.

My wife has only recently passed her test and started lecturing me about failing to signal when going straight through a roundabout. We drink with a driving instructor in our local and she brought it up with him, turns out I'm in the wrong and this crazy signaling is how we should drive straight through roundabouts now. I don't remember being taught to do this and it makes absolutely no sense to me.

I passed my test two years back and the official line was if you're going straight through then you don't signal on approach and just indicate left as you're leaving like normal

Again - I'm sure it depends on the size of the roundabout, or more pertinently where the 2nd exit is on the roundabout.

The 1st exit will always be the leftmost lane (although tbf if the exit has two lanes a middle lane is sometimes appropriate as well) and you should always indicate left. For a 2nd exit, if you imagine the roundabout as a clock face - if its before 12 o'clock then no indicator is necessary until you pass the 1st exit, and again it's either a left/middle lane. Anything past 12 o'clock for a second exit though, especially at bigger roundabouts, you're most likely best sticking further right as if you were taking a 3rd exit and subsequently indicate right that you're going right round. It's still the 2nd exit so technically straight ahead.

Saying all this - it's broadly a case of exercising best judgement in picking a lane and how you use the indicators since, tbf, roundabouts vary so wildly. Traffic light controls, size, lane markings, exit positions and so forth. The Arden roundabout is one I'm thinking of where there's no lane markings but the 2nd exit towards the Duck Bay would be at about 3pm on a clock, so to speak - due to its position I tend to indicate right so folk know where I'm going to be moving on the roundabout and keep to the right of the lane before pulling into the roundabout, so anyone taking the first exit at the roundabout has room to pull up beside me and do so. Kilbowie I rarely indicate since it's traffic light controlled and the lane markings are pretty clear.

Stoneymollan is one I can think of where there's no need for a right indicator going from Helensburgh towards Dumbarton if you're going straight ahead - I indicate left once I've passed the Balloch exit but due to clear road lane markings and the exit being at "11AM" so to speak it's a pretty comfy roundabout to navigate.

Depends on the size of the roundabout/position of the 2nd exit, though?

I see it at mini roundabouts, where you literally dont have time to change your signal before you're off the roundabout. Theres no way thats correct.

Driving from London to Inverness on Wednesday which might be fun for about an hour or so. Anyone got any favourite service stations in the UK? I'll obviously be stopping at Tebay which is clearly the best one.

Have you heard of planes?

Just across the Border there's the one by Johnstonbridge. It's okay.

Apparently it's called Annandale Water Services.

If I was driving round lane 2 of a roundabout, heading right, and the mentalist next to me was in lane 1 heading straight on but indicating right, I would assume they were switching lanes to be honest, and/or because they had their indicator on they could do whatever they liked and would just head straight round anyway.

I was told if your going straight over only indicate to the left after the first exit obviously.

I drove down to Ayr today and noticed that as soon as you get near glasgow people seem to think if they indicate on the motorway they can just pull out no matter if your about to pass at a higher speed. I thought you had to check your mirror to see if anything is going to pass before changing lane.

I went to Asda at 3am this morning after my shift and parked my car in one of the hundreds of empty spaces as there were only 3 other cars in the entire car park.

I came out and some dozy boot had parked right next to me leaving me just enough room to squeeze into my car.

The whole problem with bad drivers is inconsideration and complete obliviousness. I don't know if that's a word but it is now.

I was told if your going straight over only indicate to the left after the first exit obviously.

I drove down to Ayr today and noticed that as soon as you get near glasgow people seem to think if they indicate on the motorway they can just pull out no matter if your about to pass at a higher speed. I thought you had to check your mirror to see if anything is going to pass before changing lane.

What's a "mirror"?

• 3 months later...

anyone know the fine for getting caught by average speed camera? or if they are even on constantly? came onto the a90 at south queensferry going into Edinburgh and went through the last one at the m9 spur. since it didn't work out an 'average' how does that work? is the fine just cash or are their points as well?

anyone know the fine for getting caught by average speed camera? or if they are even on constantly? came onto the a90 at south queensferry going into Edinburgh and went through the last one at the m9 spur. since it didn't work out an 'average' how does that work? is the fine just cash or are their points as well?

They are always on. You have to go through two of them, that's why it's an average speed. The system works out your speed between the two points. Three points for speeding, can't remember the fine.

£100 and 3 points if you weren't going ridiculously fast and you don't contest it.

Archived