Driving

P45

Had a car go into the back of me on the M8 a few weeks back. Car in front slammed on the breaks and I managed to stop in time - car behind me was clearing going too fast/driving too close and couldn't slow down so tried to swerve round and scudded the back passenger side of the car.

Straightforward aftermath - he hit me so claimed on his insurance and the car was fixed in a week. Fair knocks your confidence though after something like that. Wasn't my fault and nobody was hurt but constantly paranoid about cars behind me.

I don't consider myself to be a great driver and I only passed two years ago but my god, some drivers you come across make me seem amazing.

One of my pet hates is people who park right at a give way on either side, forcing you to get into the opposite lane mere feet away from where other cars are going to be going. They generally do it out of sheer laziness to not have to walk 20 seconds from their house to their car. c***s

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drivers who think that when it's a 2-lane approach and 2-lane exit to a roundabout, being in the left lane allows them to drive straight over the roundabout in to the left lane on the far side, effectively going left>right>left.

Knitting, ripped.

All the Kingsway roundabouts in Dundee are fatal for this as folk are usually doing about 50mph as they go over them.

Cracker at Kilbowie roundabout earlier today - heading from Dumbarton towards Drumchapel at the roundabout, big range rover decides he can't be bothered waiting and would rather block two lanes than wait all of 30 seconds for the lights to change, holding me and the car to the right of me up and nearly making me have to wait at the lights for a second go. Cock.

Cracker at Kilbowie roundabout earlier today - heading from Dumbarton towards Drumchapel at the roundabout, big range rover decides he can't be bothered waiting and would rather block two lanes than wait all of 30 seconds for the lights to change, holding me and the car to the right of me up and nearly making me have to wait at the lights for a second go. Cock.

^^^shat it from blasting his horn and confronting knobhead.

^^^shat it from blasting his horn and confronting knobhead.

Blasted the horn and gave him the w****r gesture. The mini he was blocking as well just stuck to blasting the horn.

As for confronting - not the type to angrily tailgate someone for a few miles and flash the lights at them til they pull over, tbh. Prefer impotent gestures of rage.

I once flashed and gave the fingers to some 40mph idiot coming onto the m74 North at Larkhall. Guy followed me all the way to cowcaddens about 2 feet from my bumper flashing his lights and beeping his horn all the way. My plan was to get to Partick police station and run in begging for then to save me.

Never been so scared in my life.

Blasted the horn and gave him the w****r gesture. The mini he was blocking as well just stuck to blasting the horn.

As for confronting - not the type to angrily tailgate someone for a few miles and flash the lights at them til they pull over, tbh. Prefer impotent gestures of rage.

Horn first to attract their attention quickly followed up the w****r salute is a big favourite of mine.

I once flashed and gave the fingers to some 40mph idiot coming onto the m74 North at Larkhall. Guy followed me all the way to cowcaddens about 2 feet from my bumper flashing his lights and beeping his horn all the way. My plan was to get to Partick police station and run in begging for then to save me.

Never been so scared in my life.

:lol:

I had a vaguely similar experience when driving up the a77/m77 a while ago. Guy in a white BMW was going about 55/60 in the left hand lane, so overtook him as I was going roughly 70. For some reason it seems to make him seething so he flies out into the right hand lane and blasts past me, before pulling back in front of me and slowing back down to 55. Bit strange I thought, but after the same process happening 3 more times, I thought the guy was a complete maniac who may well run me off the road and kill me. After the 5th time overtaking him (and picking up my speed to about 85 to get away from the psycho) he does what you've described and stays as close as possible behind me going about 85 too. Any need to brake from me and its a massive crash. After about 5 mins of this he takes a turnoff, never to be seen again. Absolutely bizarre, but certainly gave me a dodgy feeling whilst it was happening.

One of the things I've noticed recently which I can't get my head round is people approaching a roundabout and are planning on going straight through. They will put their indicator on signalling to the right, and when they are approaching their exit will put their left indicator on. It's fucking mental.

Many years ago coming home from work, sitting second at a set of traffic lights on the Vaci ut in Budapest. Guy ploughs into me, shunting me into the car in front. Several thousand pounds of damage to my car and the car in front (pretty knackered anyway) was a right off. Clown must have been doing some speed and paying little attention to the traffic or the traffic lights.

Similar and slightly more bizarre thing happened to me in Ho Chi Minh. Sitting myself at traffic lights on my scooter when a girl driving another scooter ploughed right into the back of me, destroying both bikes and a great deal of damage to herself. Not sure how to she managed it as a scooter isn't the largest thing in the world compared to the acres of room for her to get by me if she so desired.

All in all the driving in Asia is considerably worse than anywhere in Europe with China taking the price for the worst place to drive.

:lol:

I had a vaguely similar experience when driving up the a77/m77 a while ago. Guy in a white BMW was going about 55/60 in the left hand lane, so overtook him as I was going roughly 70. For some reason it seems to make him seething so he flies out into the right hand lane and blasts past me, before pulling back in front of me and slowing back down to 55. Bit strange I thought, but after the same process happening 3 more times, I thought the guy was a complete maniac who may well run me off the road and kill me. After the 5th time overtaking him (and picking up my speed to about 85 to get away from the psycho) he does what you've described and stays as close as possible behind me going about 85 too. Any need to brake from me and its a massive crash. After about 5 mins of this he takes a turnoff, never to be seen again. Absolutely bizarre, but certainly gave me a dodgy feeling whilst it was happening.

Were you heading towards Glasgow on the bit between the Dutchhouse Roundabout and the Kilmarnock turnoff?

One of the things I've noticed recently which I can't get my head round is people approaching a roundabout and are planning on going straight through. They will put their indicator on signalling to the right, and when they are approaching their exit will put their left indicator on. It's fucking mental.

This, far more infuriating than no signals at all IMO

Archived