charity shops

philpy

I've become a charity shop fan recently. Got a brand new lambswool Ralf Lauren jumper for £12 (it was great until I stuck it in the washing machine - now it fits my 10 year old).

Got a Saville Row 70s suit for £12 too. Cost me £70 to get it altered but still a bargain.

Morningside and Comely Bank in Edinburgh is always worth a look. 99% is pish but if you've a spare half hour to trawl Morningside Rd or Raeburn Place there are some gems to be unearthed.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aye there's some belting stuff you can find if you search hard enough, all dead cheap as well. I got a Man Utd blue third kit a few years back in Oxfam for £4. I don't support Man United. In fact I don't even like them, but something about a £4 football top was too good to turn down. Bought a good few model cars as well that are pretty expensive online.

I stuck five bags of stuff - old games, toys, clothes and unopened presents - into the Cancer Research shop in Milngavie just before Christmas, hand in old books when I'm done with them too. Felt pretty good about them getting a wee bit of money out of stuff that was of no use to me.

#GoodSamaritan

I've become a charity shop fan recently. Got a brand new lambswool Ralf Lauren jumper for £12 (it was great until I stuck it in the washing machine - now it fits my 10 year old).

Got a Saville Row 70s suit for £12 too. Cost me £70 to get it altered but still a bargain.

Morningside and Comely Bank in Edinburgh is always worth a look. 99% is pish but if you've a spare half hour to trawl Morningside Rd or Raeburn Place there are some gems to be unearthed.

Morningside is always worth a look, as are the ones up Nicholson street. That's my usual Sunday ritual, weather permitting. A browse up morningside, then back along by the meadows then up Nicholson street.

Never go in any to buy or donate. As mentioned above their seems to be a new wave of expensive ones. The Stockbridge Oxfam is supposed to have a decent selection of vinyl but it's all priced accordingly.

they had a Bowie/Morrissey promo cd single a few year back priced at £65, I offered them £50 & they accepted it, I lost the fucker in the fire mind. I was in a few week back & there was a 7" ep for a £5 & I went up to the ginger lad & said I felt it was over-priced he got tetchy with me, so I left it but they do put them at top dollar. I still love going in there though. Elvis Shakespeare on Leith Walk is ace too, Dave the boy that owns the place is a good lad & usually prices his stock below ebay/discogs prices.

Grimbo

Anyone with a student flat or similar in the West of Glasgow - get yourself along to British Heart Foundation shop on Dumbarton Road. A positive Aladdin's cave of quality goods at splendid prices. And a cozy feeling of making a contribution.

When we hit hard times in my younger days my ole maw used to get our Skool clothes from the charity shops.

Nothing wrong with that! some days I would even turn up in the same dress as the teacher.. I don't know who was more embarrassed

Me or him... Boom!

Don't worry I've already called the taxi

When we hit hard times in my younger days my ole maw used to get our Skool clothes from the charity shops.

Nothing wrong with that! some days I would even turn up in the same dress as the teacher.. I don't know who was more embarrassed

Me or him... Boom!

Don't worry I've already called the taxi

We were so poor me maw got our school uniform from the army surplus store.

I'll never forget my 1st day at school in my full world war 2 kamikazi pilot outfit.

Stauner pick me up on the way. You can't miss me I'll be in full Canadian Mounty gear (minus the horse) old habits eh? (No pun intended).

Grimbo

We were so poor me maw got our school uniform from the army surplus store.

I'll never forget my 1st day at school in my full world war 2 kamikazi pilot outfit.

Stauner pick me up on the way. You can't miss me I'll be in full Canadian Mounty gear (minus the horse) old habits eh? (No pun intended).

Grimbo

A guy at my school was so poor he used to dress in the clothes from the school opera. He spent a year as a Gilbert and Sullivan sailor, then another one as a fireman.

A guy at my school was so poor he used to dress in the clothes from the school opera. He spent a year as a Gilbert and Sullivan sailor, then another one as a fireman.

His lot couldn't have been a happy one. Happy one.

Decent charity shop just a couple of doors down from Tesco South Street in Perth. All books and music/video (CDs, vinyl, DVDs etc).

Loads more than the usual Agatha Christie type pish and Z-list autobiographies you'd usually expect. Quite a few local history books (think a lot of them are former library books) and loads of military and history stuff.

Charity shops are great for books, I very rarely buy them new now. If you're prepared to wait about a year or so after a book comes out you can usually get it for a few quid. Good for DVDs too - recently got Wolf of Wall Street for a quid and the boxset of The Wire for £3. Sadly one of the better ones in Dumfries recently had to close.

Charity shops are great for books, I very rarely buy them new now. If you're prepared to wait about a year or so after a book comes out you can usually get it for a few quid. Good for DVDs too - recently got Wolf of Wall Street for a quid and the boxset of The Wire for £3. Sadly one of the better ones in Dumfries recently had to close.

My mums family are all from Dumfries, as a kid one of my favourite shops was the wee second hand book shop at the bottom of the steeple in the middle of the high street - used to love a rummage around there for books. Do you know the one I mean?

Last year got complete series of X-files on dvd for a tenner. Also got complete collection of Friends for a tenner, not something I'm much of a fan of but too good a deal. Also got complete Battlestar Galactica (new one for £15) on dvd.

St Andrews is an oddball. Town consists mainly of eateries and charity shops.

Needless to say often decent stuff and they appear to get a load of new stuff as well.

Students and golfers must be too well off.

Had new Lacoste, Fred Perry, Paul Smith, Ralph Lauren as well as second hand.

I regularly recycle and donate.

Archived