charity shops

philpy

Ok, how many of you hand stuff in to charity shops, and if so do you ever buy anything?? I'll admit I buy stuff, and have no shame in doing so. Ive bought and adidas tracky top from oxfam in morningside, for a fiver, I got a superdry hoodie for a tenner in glasgow, and ive just bought a pretty green polo shirt for £2.99 at the PDSA in musselburgh. I always wash the stuff before I wear it. And they are good for vinyl records as well. I shall get ripped for this no doubt, but ive no shame, as the money goes to good causes.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, how many of you hand stuff in to charity shops, and if so do you ever buy anything?? I'll admit I buy stuff, and have no shame in doing so. Ive bought and adidas tracky top from oxfam in morningside, for a fiver, I got a superdry hoodie for a tenner in glasgow, and ive just bought a pretty green polo shirt for £2.99 at the PDSA in musselburgh. I always wash the stuff before I wear it. And they are good for vinyl records as well. I shall get ripped for this no doubt, but ive no shame, as the money goes to good causes.

Yes. I have both bought and donated. Mainly books and children's toys.

Aberdeen is fantastic for charity shops given the amount off perfectly good stuff which folk seem happy drop off, maybe not a huge surprise given the wealth kicking around. Everywhere else seems to be a furnishing shop for pensioners in comparison.

I've handed off plenty of stuff in the past, such as unused Xmas presents which I've not used in a couple of years and simply become clutter. Think half my flat contents went between Cancer Research, Clan & Macmillan when I moved a few years back as I took a brutal 2-year-rule approach where if I hadn't used something in two years then it was classed as clutter and went into a black bag for one of the charities (things of sentimental value excepted).

Best buy has probably been a near-unused Berghaus rucksack which I still use quite a lot and paid just £5 for.

I buy a lot of the wee one's clothes in an awesome charity shop here called Red White and Blue, it's the size of an aircraft hanger. Works for toys too, you give her something in the trolley to stop her trying to climb out of it and then if she goes nuts when I try and put it back, I just buy her whatever it is. Best score so far is a Dwyane Wade jersey for ~$5. post-49544-14515701493494_thumb.jpg

Whenever we have a clear-out stuff goes to the charity shop. I always glance over the bookshelves if in - you never know when a decent edition of something will be sitting there for a few quid. Picked up a few great out of print books that way.

Never set foot in one as of yet. Mind my maw was going through a bad patch financially once and got my son a board game out of one for Christmas and have the stuff was missing in it. Also know a few football teams do end of season day out and must wear charity shop clothes and can't spend more than a tenner on them

Hand a fair bit in to the local Marie Curie shop. Only things I've ever bought regularly are books/cds/Dvds. The Oxfam Music shop in Byres Road is excellent.

This is true. As is their bookshop.

There is a fundamental rule about charity shops... it's not a surprising rule, but one to bear in mind. The ones in well-off areas have more nice stuff in them than the ones in, shall we say, slightly less salubrious areas.

If there's a book I want and it's not recently released, I'll always try and get it 2nd hand rather than new, as long as it's in good condition, obviously. I'd much rather a nice hardcover with the original dustjacket than a modern edition. They usually look better on the shelf. Same goes for classic Penguin paperbacks - loads of Penguin Modern Classics with their grey/olive spines, and the Penguin Books with orange spines can be bought for pennies in charity shops. I've read great books that I wouldn't have looked at twice simply because I liked the look of the paperback cover.

Never go in any to buy or donate. As mentioned above their seems to be a new wave of expensive ones. The Stockbridge Oxfam is supposed to have a decent selection of vinyl but it's all priced accordingly.

And why wouldn't it be. This charity malarky only works the one way, :thumbsdown

There is a fundamental rule about charity shops... it's not a surprising rule, but one to bear in mind. The ones in well-off areas have more nice stuff in them than the ones in, shall we say, slightly less salubrious areas.

The corollary to that of course is that the well known concentrations of charity shops also the most frequented and picked over - I used to live in the West End and it was unusual to find anything much in the Byres Road ones for example when I was out on a book and DVD hunt unless it had literally just been put out for sale - you do occasionally get lucky though, like the time I picked up the Steptoe & Son box set for about three notes...

This is true. As is their bookshop.

If there's a book I want and it's not recently released, I'll always try and get it 2nd hand rather than new, as long as it's in good condition, obviously. I'd much rather a nice hardcover with the original dustjacket than a modern edition. They usually look better on the shelf. Same goes for classic Penguin paperbacks - loads of Penguin Modern Classics with their grey/olive spines, and the Penguin Books with orange spines can be bought for pennies in charity shops. I've read great books that I wouldn't have looked at twice simply because I liked the look of the paperback cover.

I agree with you on book covers. I personally avoid buying books when the cover relates to a film or TV adaptation, even though the content is the same.

Archived