How do you pay for things?

Dazzle

Card or Cash  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My grandad is 77 this year and never had a bank card. Every Friday he goes to the bank and withdraws enough for that week. Tried explain to him online banking, using cards and online shopping. The b*****d almost had a heart attack the old technophobe :lol:

Fucking old people, eh? Euthanasia's too good for them.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the option to pay by card is available then I'll pay by card. I like to have enough cash in my pocket to cover any non returnable item. For instance, petrol. I did at one point have a £10 limit and anything under that I'd pay by cash. But now I've seen me pay for something costing 79p by card.

As for holding people up - it is the ones paying that cash that take longer now.

Like many have already said, card usually but I always have cash on a night out. Normally have a few pounds lying about (purse or car) for small purchases although embarrassingly last week I didn't answer the door to the window cleaner as I didn't have any cash on me (so I just hid in the kitchen like a total loser)

Like many have already said, card usually but I always have cash on a night out. Normally have a few pounds lying about (purse or car) for small purchases although embarrassingly last week I didn't answer the door to the window cleaner as I didn't have any cash on me (so I just hid in the kitchen like a total loser)

15f543n.jpg

As for holding people up - it is the ones paying that cash that take longer now.

^^^ this.

If you're the type who faffs about for ages with PINs, you'd take forever to count out the right amount of cash too. Paying by card is quicker than cash since they did away with carbon and signatures, and even quicker still since the contactless thing came in. Can't be long now before the fuds who enjoy complaining about card payments swap sides.

Paying by card is quicker than cash since they did away with carbon and signatures

You could hand over a note and have your change in hand almost in the same time it would take the barman to come back to you with just the machine. Exception is when you have folk scrambling around their purses for exact change.

You could hand over a note and have your change in hand almost in the same time it would take the barman to come back to you with just the machine. Exception is when you have folk scrambling around their purses for exact change.

I think we've established that pubs and bars are one of the exceptions, but where are you drinking that they need to take a trip to get the card machine? Only time I can remember that happening in recent times is in restaurants, where it doesn't matter anyway.

I'd beat you every time, and I'm not even close to being described as competent or fully functioning, so no complaints about being at a disadvantage please!

95% by card - although i had a bit of cash given to me at christmas so was buying things i normally wouldnt by cash. I struggle to see why people living in the city would need to carry cash around at all, although stalls and certain smaller shops may not accept card. Cash is probably safer for a night out as well, when your putting money on card a night out can get very expensive.

Since moving to the Philippines exactly a year ago, i've bucked the trend and gone back to 100% cash - not through choice. Before was cash for day-to-day and card for bigger purchases. Probably don't spend more or less now.

I think we've established that pubs and bars are one of the exceptions, but where are you drinking that they need to take a trip to get the card machine?

Where are you drinking that has multiple card machines all along the length of the bar? :huh:

Archived