Tennis: Australian Open 2016

John Lambies Doos

Raonic or Monfils though if Murray finishes the job?

Would fancy him to beat either of them, and would think he should do it in 4 sets at worst.

Hopefully he can get through fairly quickly while the other semi goes to five sets and lasts about 10 hours.

Saw the second set of the Konta game, she played very well and fair play to her for keeping her head in her first appearance in this sort of match.

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to go against the grain and say I'm delighted for Konta. I think it's definitely a favoured matchup against Kerber rather than Azarenka, although she'll still have to play the match of her life to win.

As for Murray, relatively straightforward. I think Raonic will beat Monfils, and given the way he's played so far this year will probably make it more difficult than usual for Murray, but I'd still expect him to make it through in 4.

Raonic is playing very well. Murray generally likes the big servers but Raonic is a step up in the big server stakes, very accurate as well as powerful (i.e. not Sam Groth). He's been coming into the net a lot more recently, will be interesting to see if he does that against Murray. I'd expect him to give Murray his toughest match of the tournament so far.

Agreed. Raonic is a very dangerous player and has improved a lot over the last 18 months. That said, he is still prone to lots of flaring forehands and double faults, something you just can't say about Murray, his accuracy is far superior.

I'll go Murray in 4. And I hope Djokovic/Federer lasts about 15 hours.

Yeah its a bit shite how it works out. Assuming seeds 1 and 2 both make the SF of a Grand Slam, the number 1 seed always gets an extra day recovery.

Not sure that is true.

I thougth at some of the slams the 2 semis were played the same day.

Yep you're right actually. As I was typing it I was thinking they have them on the same day at Roland Garros.

and Wimbledon.

Think Wimbledon's draw is the fairest, goes top half / bottom half for the first 6 days, then rest day unless weather requires a catch up, then all last 16 ties on second Monday then alternate women's / men's days til the end.

Hence why Murray always seems absolutely fucked in the final when he's up against Djokovic then. Interesting to know actually, I've never given the scheduling of the matches much thought.

Hence why Murray always seems absolutely fucked in the final when he's up against Djokovic then. Interesting to know actually, I've never given the scheduling of the matches much thought.

He still has 48hrs recovery. If I remember correctly one yr joker played on the Friday and still steamed Murray in final. Also joker beat Murray in 5 one yr on Friday and beat Nadal in 5 on the Sunday

No excuse for Murray really

I get the impression that when Raonic came on the scene he felt his serve alone would win him plenty of games, then he quickly realized that against the top players that was not the case. Seen a couple of his matches this week and his all round game looked much better. Will be a tough one for Murray but I think he will be good enough to get through, think he will do it in 4.

Raonic had a very unique press conference post match. He was talking about the qualities of Andy Warhol and Ari Weiwei's art. He certainly is playing the best tennis of his career, and with his big serve he will get a lot of free points. The most interesting match they've had was the SF in Tokyo where Murray missed three match points for Raonic to come back and win. The head to head is three a piece.

Murray will have to serve well to progress. He is defintely going for it more on his second serve. He is now averaging an extra 20 mph on second serve, but he is double faulting more frequently. Without counting the double faults he was winning 58% of his second serves against a superb returner like Ferrer. Certainly enough evidence to show that his second serve is improving. Greg Rusedski can't see it though!

I personally don't care about Konta's nationality. She has a British passport, and that makes her British. I don't follow her because she's British, I follow her as I like her. The media publicity she is getting is entirely justified given the run she is on to make it to the semi finals.

Will be interesting to see the first semi final tomorrow morning. Hopefully it's a five set five hour brutal game,

Archived