Tommy Robinson

Bambino7

19 minutes ago, throbber said:

Scottish people come out with this sort of stuff all the time - eg saying London, Birmingham etc is full of foreigners and very multicultural but said in a negative way. I’m surprised this is even up for debate.

I think Scotland is bad for casual racism.

I don't know why Dan mentioned holiday resorts or holiday trips, I didn't. People have plenty of reason to take trips down south other than for holidays, and there are plenty of negative comments from people who have been to the places you mention as well as greater Manchester and west Yorkshire.  It's true that the UK is still something like 86% white overall. but in London and parts of the midlands this falls to under 50, leading to people feeling uptight about being outnumbered, we don't have anything comparable in Scotland, 

If we did I'd imagine we'd have similar problems, just remember all those years of sectarianism was amongst people of the same race. we are not perfect!

1 hour ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

I don't know why Dan mentioned holiday resorts or holiday trips, I didn't. People have plenty of reason to take trips down south other than for holidays, and there are plenty of negative comments from people who have been to the places you mention as well as greater Manchester and west Yorkshire.  It's true that the UK is still something like 86% white overall. but in London and parts of the midlands this falls to under 50, leading to people feeling uptight about being outnumbered, we don't have anything comparable in Scotland, 

If we did I'd imagine we'd have similar problems, just remember all those years of sectarianism was amongst people of the same race. we are not perfect!

Yes I would say a good % of Scotland aren’t particularly fond of islam but it’s mostly just attitudes and comments rather than anything violent at this point.  I don’t know of any communities where there is racial tension like you seem to get in every city down south and I don’t think there’s much room for manipulation for the people of Scotland to turn against immigrants. 

3 hours ago, throbber said:

I think Scotland is bad for casual racism.

2 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Back in the day when Argyle Place (just off the Meadows) used to have a lot of asian owned fruit and veg shops, my old man used to refer to it as "The Khyber Pass".

2 hours ago, throbber said:

lol. There is a street somewhere in west end Glasgow that my dad always used to refer to as “eth street” 

Does this mean that I now have - sorry, my friend has - to stop referring to large parts of the G41 postcode area as Banglashields? 

1 hour ago, throbber said:

Yes I would say a good % of Scotland aren’t particularly fond of islam but it’s mostly just attitudes and comments rather than anything violent at this point.  I don’t know of any communities where there is racial tension like you seem to get in every city down south and I don’t think there’s much room for manipulation for the people of Scotland to turn against immigrants. 

Racism and islamophobia often go hand in hand in all honesty 

19 hours ago, Fullerene said:

England also a much higher population density hence there are more people down south who say "no more, we're full". 

I can't think of anywhere in Scotland that complains about too many people.

If there is one thing I know about the population of England, it's that it is dense

8 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

If there is one thing I know about the population of England, it's that it is dense

I blame the tap water ...it really is shite 

5 hours ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

I just get the feeling that the sense of community is not as strong in Scotland as it is in England nowadays. Regardless of colour or religion. 

Please elaborate

1 hour ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Please elaborate

I just don't get the sense of togetherness that we used to have in my own local community.  I see people trying to drum up interest in local interests and looking after pensioners in my town and they just seem to fizzle away. 

When you hear stories about things down south you constantly hear the media talk about community leaders and community interests. 

It may be a town versus city thing, I guess, or just because the majority of the news is English based but there seems to a difference between the countries at the moment.

Probably not explaining it too well, or maybe it's just a frustration of mynown towns situation just now.

15 minutes ago, strichener said:

Be interested in the evidence for this in London.

I remember reading a piece a couple of years back that London was less than 50% white British but when you took in white non-British, white folks were still a decent chunk more than half the populace. 

34 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

I just don't get the sense of togetherness that we used to have in my own local community.  I see people trying to drum up interest in local interests and looking after pensioners in my town and they just seem to fizzle away. 

When you hear stories about things down south you constantly hear the media talk about community leaders and community interests. 

It may be a town versus city thing, I guess, or just because the majority of the news is English based but there seems to a difference between the countries at the moment.

Probably not explaining it too well, or maybe it's just a frustration of mynown towns situation just now.

I think sometimes belonging to a community can be divisive if it creates barriers with another.

I think I belong to four different communities, my family, my football club, my work colleagues and, yes, my church. The latter three are the most diverse, which I greatly appreciate.

I think the old days when your community was simply the neighbourhood you lived in belongs in the past. I'm not particularly close with any of them, except the older woman across the road who we looked after during lockdown, getting her messages and stuff. I suppose that also counts as community.

Times move on.

Edited by Cosmic Joe

52 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

I remember reading a piece a couple of years back that London was less than 50% white British but when you took in white non-British, white folks were still a decent chunk more than half the populace. 

Google is your friend

Demographics of London
Major ethnic    White: 53.8% (2021) White British: 36.8% (2021)
Minor ethnic    Asian British: 20.8% (2021) Black British: 13.5% (2021) Mixed: 5.7% (2021) Other: 6.3% (2021)

11 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Google is your friend

Demographics of London
Major ethnic    White: 53.8% (2021) White British: 36.8% (2021)
Minor ethnic    Asian British: 20.8% (2021) Black British: 13.5% (2021) Mixed: 5.7% (2021) Other: 6.3% (2021)

The thing that gets me is the claim that London used to be some kind of "white paradise". Facebook pages springing up showing red buses and only white people featuring from the 1970s.

My first visit to London was in 1977, and it was diverse as diverse could be. A real eye opener for a wee boy from Fife.

15 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

The thing that gets me is the claim that London used to be some kind of "white paradise". Facebook pages springing up showing red buses and only white people featuring from the 1970s.

My first visit to London was in 1977, and it was diverse as diverse could be. A real eye opener for a wee boy from Fife.

1977 for me too. Punks with lime green Mohican hair. A real eye opener for a boy from the Highlands. 

1 hour ago, Cosmic Joe said:

53 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

1977 for me too. Punks with lime green Mohican hair. A real eye opener for a boy from the Highlands. 

My version of this was going to New York for the first time when I was 13 and seeing a group of Amish folk waiting for the ferry to see the statue of liberty