F1 2016

kerrdavidson95

Agreed, but to move Max from the podium and replace him with Seb, only for tomorrows papers to show 3rd place as Riccardo is difficult to follow. Can you imagine what it looks like to a racing novice?

That I agree with, but it was right to give Max the penalty straight away as it was clear cut. Seb's wasn't as clear cut, so I don't think they could have made that decision any quicker really (the fact the decision has come about 3 hours after the race ended shows you that).

It's not ideal, but I'm not sure it could have been avoided.

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Still not entirely sure how Hamilton avoided a penalty for driving straight through a corner and ending up increasing his lead.

Imagine the shitfest had that been Verstappen

Second and third were involved in an incident behind him and the safety car was out almost straight away taking away any advantage gained by his run across the grass. I don't think it's that surprising TBH.

I also think Vettel's punishment is harsh, but the rules have been changed to avoid those kinds of incidents.

It's frustrating that they insist on making all these decisions after the race. There was plenty time for Verstappen to be penalised during it. Slightly less so for Vettel, mind.

Rosberg & Hamilton both lucky to escape penalties at the start, which would've helped give us an exciting race from a little earlier in.

15 hours ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

Harsher penalties required as a deterrent for drivers gaining an advantage.

They could use gravel for the run-off at low speed corners instead of grass: that would catch on at a racing circuit IMO.

Can't agree about the vettel decision, that was great racing and great defending on his part. I thought this new rule was to stop dangerously moving under braking, which wasn't the case. It was perfectly safe, as he left Danny (who ploughed in very hot and locked up) plenty of room. Danny is a great over taker however this one was too risky and vettel saw it coming

Can't agree about the vettel decision, that was great racing and great defending on his part. I thought this new rule was to stop dangerously moving under braking, which wasn't the case. It was perfectly safe, as he left Danny (who ploughed in very hot and locked up) plenty of room. Danny is a great over taker however this one was too risky and vettel saw it coming

The new rule is "Any change of direction under braking which results in another driver having to take evasive action will be considered abnormal and hence potentially dangerous to other drivers. Any such move will be reported to the stewards."

But surely common sense should prevail. It can be reported to the stewards but on this occasion it was far from dangerous and in my opinion, a really good bit of defending. I would also question whether ric had to take any evasive action, I think he would have made contact even if seb had kept on the racing line. Good try from ric, even better defence from seb, entertaining for the fans which is what we want to see. Maybe more down to the politics of f1 and what seb said on the radio.....

4 hours ago, BerwickMad said:

Second and third were involved in an incident behind him and the safety car was out almost straight away taking away any advantage gained by his run across the grass. I don't think it's that surprising TBH.

I also think Vettel's punishment is harsh, but the rules have been changed to avoid those kinds of incidents.

Given that the safety car is not a penalty, let's take it out of the equation. Were Hamilton's actions worthy of a penalty?

Given that the safety car is not a penalty, let's take it out of the equation. Were Hamilton's actions worthy of a penalty?

Not for me. There was no chance he was making the corner so he had to go straight on. Should he have backed off and let the field catch up? Probably.

But regardless, the safety car DID wipe the advantage out anyway.

Not for me. There was no chance he was making the corner so he had to go straight on. Should he have backed off and let the field catch up? Probably.

But regardless, the safety car DID wipe the advantage out anyway.

He could have made the second corner, but chose to enter the track at the end of turn 3 instead. It was a clear gain of advantage. He wasn't the only one tbf, as Rosberg and Verstappen did similar behind Hamilton. All three could have been given penalties, but the best solution is to punish mistakes with a proper gravel trap there. They're not fast corners so it wouldn't pose a credible safety risk.

18 year old Lance Stroll replaces Massa at Williams for next season. No doubt funded by his billionaire father.

He's going to have that stigma attached to him unless he has a Verstappen-esque season next year. Might not be fair but it's the way it is.

I don't think this is really any different to a typical pay driver scenario though. The only difference here is he's related to his backer.

2 hours ago, Jamaldo said:

He's going to have that stigma attached to him unless he has a Verstappen-esque season next year. Might not be fair but it's the way it is.

I don't think this is really any different to a typical pay driver scenario though. The only difference here is he's related to his backer.

Williams gear should be smart next season when its had the tommy hilfeger makeover :lol:

Archived