The Overpriced Mercenary Leagues Thread

Sloop John B

Sky have to do something now that the only European leagues they have exclusive UK rights to are La Liga and the Eiredivise. I won't be getting overly excited about this, but it's more football on TV during the summer months. Much like the MLS, it should be fairly watchable and will fill a void.

• 4 months later...

Chinese football gearing up to go mental in their latest transfer window with Oscar strongly linked with a £60m, £400k per week move to Shanghai SIPG.

Here's what BBC football heavyweight Marlon Harewood has to say in his expert analysis of the Chinese league:

"There is a lot of money in China. They've seen the Premier League and want to bring that to their country. The way to do that is bring in the best.

The standard of football is high. They have great quality players.

The wage Oscar will be getting is phenomenal."

Thanks for that insightful input, Marlon. 

Apparently they're investing heavily in the facilities and football is now on the national curriculum. It'll be awhile before they see the rewards of that, so in the short term you'd imagine this trend of throwing silly money at foreign players will continue as they try to improve the standard of the league. It'll be interesting to see if/when they reach the level of the MLS, given that they don't appear to have the same wage constraints.

14 hours ago, lanky_ffc said:

Apparently they're investing heavily in the facilities and football is now on the national curriculum. It'll be awhile before they see the rewards of that, so in the short term you'd imagine this trend of throwing silly money at foreign players will continue as they try to improve the standard of the league. It'll be interesting to see if/when they reach the level of the MLS, given that they don't appear to have the same wage constraints.

Biggest development I see is their coaching. They are have crazy money for coaches (not mangers) lots in youth. It's long term for them, big names will bring interest now, but they see the future in Chinese players. It's all about the national team....unlike most countries league.

Will  it stay like that, who knows. I could see them winning a WC in the future, not in my time and I'm only 42, but they are aiming for this.

Heard some walloper on the radio the other day just about in tears over this so angry,  saying it's a disgrace guy like that goes at 25 purely for money.  Epl fan boy. 

Someone ought to really point out to him Oscar was only at Chelsea in the first place for the fuckin money.  85 % of foreign players in the premiership if not more are there for the money.   It's not the fucking climate is it or the lifestyle,  and the style of football does not suit almost all of them as well as France or Spain or Portugal would, it's the money they go for.   

You really think David silva would be in Manchester,  negredo at Middlesbrough,  coutinho etc any of them would be there if it wasn't for the money.

Edited by Peppino Impastato

26b174263f989a471213da3a1853f5e7.jpg&key=88d7ade396cf548a6f25cc38b5f90da3e62ee6748cd0e3278c87b782dfbd7e03

If that's true, then wow. Just wow.

The first comment is an irony overload. I'll actively be watching Chinese football in the hope it speeds up the death of the English Sky era.

Yes, that comment is just excellent. You can taste the tears.

English fans are up in arms about this and it is hilarious. "This is ruining football" they say. The EPL has been ruining football since the beginning of the Premier League era. China is only doing what the EPL has been doing for years, and the angry wee English folk can't accept it. It's glorious. I really hope the Chinese League is a success and that it strips the EPL bare of its foreign talents.