Scotrail

ScottR96

People going to work pays for schools.
The tax take for people using a train to get to work will be much higher than the subsidy of trains.
Hairy cheeked bumpkins who live 36 miles from a railway station will cost far more to the taxpayer for their services and contribute far less to the exchequer than people living it up on the pints, steak dinners and world class cinema available  in Scotlands cities.
Happy to help. 

Not to mention the cost to Scotland in terms of pollution and indeed the cost everyone on the planet of overconsumption of fossil fuels if we don't make public transport affordable to everyone. The attitude of "I don't have trains near me, so nobody should have cheap (ideally it should be free) access to them" is indeed very Tory.

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

A bit more investment in the railways and they could extend the Aberdeen line up to Peterhead and Fraserburgh.

A little less subsidies on the existing lines and they could actually invest in expansion of capacity.

Edited by strichener

10 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

Thats unfortunately what happens when the Contrarian Twins, virginton and Toad is God show up.....all we need now is Elixir to cut and paste some obscure article from Papua New Guinea showing that thy had a windy day and the trains ran fine.

image.png.12ecd56b7d370d5e856ee88e155f6de5.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/01/2022 at 07:59, highlandcowden said:

I got an over 50 card towards the end of last year&intended using the trains a lot but given the lack of affordable fares now from the highlands to the central belt,the lack of reliability of the service I think I'll just stick to buses or,more likely,the car

£12 returns anywhere in Scotland from March 7th to May 1st.

On 18/02/2022 at 08:57, invergowrie arab said:

My beef with crossrail  and HS2 are a bit more complicated than someone else is getting a new train line and I won't get a shot. Please see all the Local objections as to why crossrail and HS2 are shite.

I'm happy to pay my way towards the AWPR, A9/A77 dualling or Calmac because I'm not a big Tory. 

Roads north of Inverness should be dirt tracks only accessible by horse and cart.

58 minutes ago, WeAreElgin said:
1 hour ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:
Roads north of Inverness should be dirt tracks only accessible by horse and cart.

Hearts fans still rattled by Brora Rangers I see

I wasn't thinking about football, the Neanderthals victory is irrelevant. 

I am thinking that some parts of Scotland should be reserved for other lifeforms, non-human life.

Plant forests and woodlands. Reintroduce wolves, bears and lions. We need to stop being self obsessed. 

11 hours ago, highlandcowden said:

Saw that,pity I've already paid for any travel I'm making in this period

I phoned Scotrail yesterday to complain about that.

Getting a refunds as vouchers posted to me for £43.10 which I can us to buy new tickets online or get refunded as cash at a manned station.

Had paid for  two advance singles Aberdeen to Glasgow and back, but am travelling Aberdeen to Irvine. so still had other day tickets to buy on day. If it a big difference could be worth doing that.

3 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

I phoned Scotrail yesterday to complain about that.

Getting a refunds as vouchers posted to me for £43.10 which I can us to buy new tickets online or get refunded as cash at a manned station.

Had paid for  two advance singles Aberdeen to Glasgow and back, but am travelling Aberdeen to Irvine. so still had other day tickets to buy on day. If it a big difference could be worth doing that.

ta for the heads up,ill give that a try

5 minutes ago, highlandcowden said:

ta for the heads up,ill give that a try

No bother, and thy being quite quick, already had an email that vouchers being posted, I' just waiting till next week to buy my £12 Aberdeen to Irvine and have money left over for another trip too.

12 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

No bother, and thy being quite quick, already had an email that vouchers being posted, I' just waiting till next week to buy my £12 Aberdeen to Irvine and have money left over for another trip too.

gave them a phone,id have been as well speaking to the cat

56 minutes ago, highlandcowden said:

gave them a phone,id have been as well speaking to the cat

😂

I must have just been lucky,

0344 811 0141 option 3, 

and did take two calls, I was just in one of the those moods to get what I wanted.

3 minutes ago, Handsome John said:

Where’s this detailed? Can’t find mention of it online anywhere 

I got an email, you need to have a Club50 card. Nothing on the website yet.

Your next exclusive Flat Fare offer is almost here.

From Monday 7 March until 1 May 2022, you can travel anywhere in Scotland for just £12 return. That’s right, eight weeks of travel freedom throughout Scotland. Remember that your Flat Fare offers open return tickets, and you can book as many as you like during the promotional period - perfect for an Easter staycation!

It’s really easy to book your Flat Fare ticket. From Monday 7 March:  

Click the ‘buy £12 Flat Fare’ button
Enter your journey details into the booking engine
Select the £12 Off-Peak Open Return fare
Complete your booking as normal

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

This is the sort of shite that brings out the homicidal maniac in me: I want a f***ing return.  

It's hugely annoying but if you book 2 day returns instead you'll save a tenner.