Scotrail

ScottR96

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

At the time of negotiation cash was king, now newer staff look for a bit of work life balance.

Surely the lack of the type of work life balance someone working a regular mon-fri job is built into the high salary the job offers? It's a trade off.

If work life balance is the most important aspect you want in a job then I don't think working on the railway as a train driver is the career for you.

Being attracted to an industry due to its high salary then wanting to change the terms and conditions once in it is very much wanting your cake and eating it.

Teachers can also join that bracket.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

Surely the lack of the type of work life balance someone working a regular mon-fri job is built into the high salary the job offers? It's a trade off.

If work life balance is the most important aspect you want in a job then I don't think working on the railway as a train driver is the career for you.

Being attracted to an industry due to its high salary then wanting to change the terms and conditions once in it is very much wanting your cake and eating it.

Teachers can also join that bracket.

My understanding is that the contracts for new staff don't have the same conditions as the old timers from the 60/70/80s. They're still good, but not as financially rewarding as the legacy terms and the older staff wouldn't touch them.

I'm not explaining it well because it is complex for both sides negotiating deals that will satisfy the different groups who have different perspectives.

@QOS1919 could probably explain it better.

Eta tagged the wrong QoS supporter, meant @QoS_1919.

3rd attempt @19QOS19. Who knew there was too many QoS supporters?

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

58 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

My understanding is that the contracts for new staff don't have the same conditions as the old timers from the 60/70/80s. They're still good, but not as financially rewarding as the legacy terms and the older staff wouldn't touch them.

I'm not explaining it well because it is complex for both sides negotiating deals that will satisfy the different groups who have different perspectives.

@QOS1919 could probably explain it better.

Eta tagged the wrong QoS supporter, meant @QoS_1919.

3rd attempt @19QOS19. Who knew there was too many QoS supporters?

I think the conditions for 'old timers' are more to do with pensions and retirement. Actual working conditions and pay are the same across the board (unless of course the older ones are better off and don't tell anyone...).

48 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I think the conditions for 'old timers' are more to do with pensions and retirement. Actual working conditions and pay are the same across the board (unless of course the older ones are better off and don't tell anyone...).

Must've evened out since I last experienced trying to make sense of it.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye, but what do @QOS1919 and @QoS_1919 think?

4 minutes ago, Clangers said:

Tweeting the 10pm issue of tomorrow’s time table won’t be ready until 3am! Utterly shameful 

Absolutely farcical.

I thought the ruse of "we're no cancelling, it's an amended timetable " was on the proviso that the time table was available at/before 10pm the previous evening? 

Are people delayed tomorrow now qualifying for a delay-repay refund?

17 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Are train drivers ever not on strike? 

They aren't on strike,a lot just arent working their rest days to keep the timetable going;do you like working your days off?

1 minute ago, highlandmac said:

They aren't on strike,a lot just arent working their rest days to keep the timetable going;do you like working your days off?

Train drivers clearly do, or else they would be demanding full coverage as part of their pay demands.

Ask yourself why they never do.

17 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

How can you run a key public service like this?

This is another thing the government need to sort before 2026.

Negative Scotrail stories have been a regular occurrence for a few years now.

The assumption that that this is a "peculiarly Scottish thing" or that "a new Labour govt in Holyrood will solve this" is a bit of a laugh.

Our train service - despite its limitations based on the lack of a fully staffed rota - doesnt suffer the strike ridden mess in England.

59 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

The assumption that that this is a "peculiarly Scottish thing" or that "a new Labour govt in Holyrood will solve this" is a bit of a laugh.

Our train service - despite its limitations based on the lack of a fully staffed rota - doesnt suffer the strike ridden mess in England.

Why is it than anything negative that can be attributed to something overseen by the SNP is always defended by "at least it's not as shit as England"

Is that success?

It's also not that long since the rail network in Scotland was a completely unusable mess for a significant period of time due to strikes.

Edited by Todd_is_God

10 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Why is it than anything negative that can be attributed to something overseen by the SNP is always defended by "at least it's not as shit as England"

Is that success?

It's also not that long since the rail network in Scotland was a completely unusable mess for a significant period of time due to strikes.

Nobody said that, least of all me - but there ARE always people who will make stupid assumptions that this is "the sort of thing that happens in Scotland" when the Industrial Relations landscape, and its impact on services, is far better here than in other parts of the UK.

Doubtless there will be some twat along soon to tell us that the pending bins strike is "all the SNP fault" when bin strikes have been ongoing in London for a year.

Usually the same type of person who has the time and inclination to red dot posters, ime.........................

57 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Is that success?

It's not that 'at least it's better than in England' so much as 'would you trust those who made it so bad in England to improve it up here?'.

19 hours ago, Plumpy said:

I'm doing my bit by learning to drive these trains so I can steal their sunday shifts, not really difficult, mainly just W,S,A,D and F3

What do you need A and D for, they don't need steering surely?

1 hour ago, The DA said:

It's not that 'at least it's better than in England' so much as 'would you trust those who made it so bad in England to improve it up here?'.

Whataboutery aside, that doesn’t really work, does it?

Labour haven’t been in power for 14 years, and the railways in England are still operated by private companies, unlike Scotrail which has been run by the SG for a couple of years now.

20 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Whataboutery aside, that doesn’t really work, does it?

Labour haven’t been in power for 14 years, and the railways in England are still operated by private companies, unlike Scotrail which has been run by the SG for a couple of years now.

I don't think Labour have proven themselves particularly competent in Wales.

Maybe another for @19QOS19

Sort of like split ticketing but not.

A ticket from Dundee to Dalmeny is 10 quid cheaper than Dundee to Edinburgh but Dalmeny is in the Edinburgh grouping so presumably going via Edinburgh is a permitted route?

Therefore I can just buy a ticket to Dalmeny and get off amd on at Edinburgh?

4 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Maybe another for @19QOS19

Sort of like split ticketing but not.

A ticket from Dundee to Dalmeny is 10 quid cheaper than Dundee to Edinburgh but Dalmeny is in the Edinburgh grouping so presumably going via Edinburgh is a permitted route?

Therefore I can just buy a ticket to Dalmeny and get off amd on at Edinburgh?

I've no idea I'm afraid. If it's Any Permitted Route on the ticket then I'd imagine you'll be ok.