Scotrail

ScottR96

55 minutes ago, ajwffc said:
5 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:
Obviously just driven in from 1977.

61FC05E3-4003-409D-AA5E-E52985EDB19B.thumb.jpeg.1822272630c45a29ca6b9005b6b05839.jpeg

Stirling was the main Motorail hub in Scotland

I can remember in my very distant youth leaving from Stirling on the Motorail for Brockenhurst in the New Forest as we were heading to Guernsey for a holiday. 

11 hours ago, budmiester1 said:

I can remember in my very distant youth leaving from Stirling on the Motorail for Brockenhurst in the New Forest as we were heading to Guernsey for a holiday. 

I can mind my folks going to a Travel Agent to buy the train tickets we needed to get to.......... London

4 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

I can mind my folks going to a Travel Agent to buy the train tickets we needed to get to.......... London

It’s incredible how things have changed over the years booking holidays, I haven’t used a travel agent in about 15 years, I can do anything holiday wise online 👍

• 4 months later...
5 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

That’s great news. Is it wishful thinking to hope this might lead to prices dropping for rail travel?

You'd like to think there would be some reduction in costs. You used to be able to get a £5 Advance ticket for Edinburgh to / from Inverness but they seem to be non existent despite Scotrail's claims (sadly the amazing £10 First Class Advance ones died a death). Now it seems to be £20 minimum which isn't terrible but walk up prices are still absurd (almost £50 for a walk up single for a journey tomorrow) so hopefully they can be reduced. 

You'd like to think there would be some reduction in costs. You used to be able to get a £5 Advance ticket for Edinburgh to / from Inverness but they seem to be non existent despite Scotrail's claims (sadly the amazing £10 First Class Advance ones died a death). Now it seems to be £20 minimum which isn't terrible but walk up prices are still absurd (almost £50 for a walk up single for a journey tomorrow) so hopefully they can be reduced. 

£5 quid advance ticket is incredible. No chance that’s a thing anymore.

I hate the whole buying in advance thing anyway, usually you have to buy a ticket ages in advance with no option of a refund. It’s shite if your plans change. Just make walk up prices cheaper. Still think the way forward would be a card you can load money onto that gets you onto other modes of public transport i.e the Edinburgh trams and Glasgow subway.

Surely simplification/standardisation of prices is the priority alongside cost. No more of these bullshit split journeys etc