General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

Argyll and Bute Council advertising their beautiful area with a pic of nuke submarines. Jeezo.

Not whisky, islands, beaches, wildlife, mountains etc...

https://www.commonspace.scot/articles/10423/worst-advertising-campaign-history-argyll-s-nuclear-weapons-welcome

c5r7pj8waaacmfk.jpg?itok=mi-Bo3j8

argyll nuclear.jpg

Edited by Crùbag

Anyone watch the Panorama #ImmigrationTown the other night?

>35% of population now 'White British'

Unemployment >1.4% (I reckon that's pretty good)

Average wages amongst the highest in the UK

Still voted 54% for Leave.

Interestingly, everyone seems to hate the Romas.  It was genuinely unclear to me if that meant travellers or Romanians, unless they are both the same.  :unsure2:

From what was said from all quarters I wouldn't be keen on them either.

Just now, jmothecat said:

So the best way to foster multiculturalism is to get all groups to hate one minority? Rameez Abar, Racist Dave and Ziggy Podolski all bonding over how much they hate the Roma.

Seriously, I think multiculturism only works if there's a level of integration and some acceptance of shared behaviour.  The general view is that the Roma make no effort to integrate or to adopt these shared behaviours.

If you don't have integration you will have ghettoisation/apartheid.

This is one of the reasons why I think that there is an issue with Muslims in certain countries.  There is absolutely no desire to integrate and therefore no attempt at integration.  This is, of course, not limited to Muslims; there are other groups, mainly based on religion, who have been in communities for years but have made no attempt to integrate.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Seriously, I think multiculturism only works if there's a level of integration and some acceptance of shared behaviour.  The general view is that the Roma make no effort to integrate or to adopt these shared behaviours.

This is one of the reasons why I think that there is an issue with Muslims in certain countries.  There is absolutely no desire to integrate and therefore no attempt at integration.  This is, of course, not limited to Muslims; there are other groups, mainly based on religion, who have been in communities for years but have made no attempt to integrate.

I think that's more down to idiotic but well meaning Councils who thought, especially in Northern English towns like Oldham, that it would be best to encourage immigrants to live close to each other, meaning there was no need, and later no opportunity, to integrate. In most parts of London people are much more jumbled up and, on the whole, get on pretty well. The Saudis funding Wahhabi mosques and imams everywhere didn't help either.

Weirdly enough I was thinking something similar when reading a Katie Hopkins article (popped up on my Facebook so I didn't have to give the site my traffic) about Sweden. She gave it the whole right-wing 'this liberal paradise is actually filled with immigrants who RAPE WHITE WOMEN' and all that shite, but one aspect she talked about was how there where effectively ghettos which were 80% immigrants. Her point was that there were no efforts to integrate by the largely Arabic immigrants. What got me thinking was my time living in Norway, and how unwelcoming large parts of Norway are to outsiders. Being from a Norwegian family and being white and European made it not too difficult for me but for a lot of non-White people, even those born in Norway, there was a level of acceptance that I think they are afforded here that they often aren't in Norway. I wonder how much of it is an immigrants unwillingness to integrate and how much of it is the hosts unwillingness to let them.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I think that's more down to idiotic but well meaning Councils who thought, especially in Northern English towns like Oldham, that it would be best to encourage immigrants to live close to each other, meaning there was no need, and later no opportunity, to integrate. In most parts of London people are much more jumbled up and, on the whole, get on pretty well. The Saudis funding Wahhabi mosques and imams everywhere didn't help either.

Spacial determinism may play its role but if you look at other areas with far smaller numbers of Muslims you will see the same pattern when it comes to the question of integration.

5 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

Weirdly enough I was thinking something similar when reading a Katie Hopkins article (popped up on my Facebook so I didn't have to give the site my traffic) about Sweden. She gave it the whole right-wing 'this liberal paradise is actually filled with immigrants who RAPE WHITE WOMEN' and all that shite, but one aspect she talked about was how there where effectively ghettos which were 80% immigrants. Her point was that there were no efforts to integrate by the largely Arabic immigrants. What got me thinking was my time living in Norway, and how unwelcoming large parts of Norway are to outsiders. Being from a Norwegian family and being white and European made it not too difficult for me but for a lot of non-White people, even those born in Norway, there was a level of acceptance that I think they are afforded here that they often aren't in Norway. I wonder how much of it is an immigrants unwillingness to integrate and how much of it is the hosts unwillingness to let them.

Racism and Islamaphobia make it very difficult to have a meaningful discussion about important issues without being labelled a racist or Islamaphobic.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Spacial determinism may play its role but if you look at other areas with far smaller numbers of Muslims you will see the same pattern when it comes to the question of integration.

Hindus and Sikhs have certainly integrated better in my experience, probably because of fewer taboos about sex, alcohol and Western decadence generally. They mostly came over early though, with money and education. Mass Muslim immigration came, in large numbers, later, from Bangladesh and Pakistan mainly, and often with little education and very traditional values. There are obviously a huge number of exceptions to this, but the combination of large numbers of immigrants with little knowledge of Western values being concentrated in small areas, combined with Wahhabi propaganda in their midst, wasn't the best prospect for integration. It can easily be overstated though, as I have done. Just because a lot of Muslims don't go to the pub doesn't mean they don't go to their aboriginal neighbour's barbecue. 

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Interestingly, everyone seems to hate the Romas.  It was genuinely unclear to me if that meant travellers or Romanians, unless they are both the same.  :unsure2:

From what was said from all quarters I wouldn't be keen on them either.

British genuine gypsy culture has all but been destroyed, most of the real gypsy families have given up after having their livelihoods taken away by successive governmental legislation. What passes for "Roma" now are largely mostly Irish or Romanian scamster families backed with crooked lawyers, bleedheart CofE vicars trying to appear to have a clue about reality, & loudmouthed buckled lefties looking for a punch up - little more than portable scheme goblins. What Hitler failed to do with the Holocaust we managed to do with the stroke of a bureaucrat's pen to the most homogeneous gypsy population in the world.

Years ago our business used to deal with one of the last of the genuine gypsy families in Glasgow (amongst other things they were the only ones left selling domestic paraffin), & they were really pissed about getting tarred with the same brush as tinkers, showfolk, so-called "Roma", crusties, etc, but were powerless as the media on both sides have vested interests in creating caricatures to suit their own prejudices.

1 hour ago, jmothecat said:

So the best way to foster multiculturalism is to get all groups to hate one minority? Rameez Abar, Racist Dave and Ziggy Podolski all bonding over how much they hate the Roma.

The Gypsy Council and the Romani Guild both happily played footsie with the early National Front back in the 1970s because it suited them until Tyndall & Webster took over, who as outright nazis of course had even worse plans for the gypsies than they did for the blacks & Asians. When it comes to racism for one's own ends, no one has clean hands.

5 hours ago, Crùbag said:

Argyll and Bute Council advertising their beautiful area with a pic of nuke submarines. Jeezo.

Not whisky, islands, beaches, wildlife, mountains etc...

https://www.commonspace.scot/articles/10423/worst-advertising-campaign-history-argyll-s-nuclear-weapons-welcome

c5r7pj8waaacmfk.jpg?itok=mi-Bo3j8

Just paint the subs yellow and wait for the Beatles fans to arrive. Simples!

What sort of rational human being gives up eating things for Lent?  Some folk still live in the dark fucking ages.

What's frightening is obviously her advisors thought this would play well with the public. Saw some people yesterday with black marks on their foreheads, apparently that's some sort of lent thing too. Utterly odd behaviour.

36 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

Shocking. The UK is such a backward up its own arse excuse for a state.

Come Indyref2 we'll still get all the auld BS about 'broad shoulders' and 'pooling resources' etc...

34 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

I thought lent was a Catholic thing

I think Anglicans (i.e the Church of England) still "observe" Lent although Roman Catholics and many other Christians, probably do it more. Mrs May says she is  still a practicing Anglican (Her father was a vicar in the C of E) Given that the last Conservative female PM moved from a Methodist background to the C of E , Theresa is already one step ahead. If only she could "suffer the little children to come unto me" under the Dubbs scheme. Mind you Tony Blair was also an Anglican and he became a Roman catholic; may his sins find him out.