General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

I heard a quote from Mundell on Radio Scotland earlier where he said that the SNP should park the independence chat because it's distracting from the Brexit stuff.

I have to say I agree. It's in the SNP's interest to sit back, let the UK government make a complete c**t of Brexit, and then go on the offensive.

When I got inside the hall, they told me to go and sit right in the reserved seats at the front because I'm young and therefore brought down the average age of the room by about 40 years.

Also, you'll be pleased to know that I got booed on my way out. Never felt more like a Tory.

Nationalist politician comes to scotland to warn of the danger of nationalism and the threat of pulling out of a large trading union. Irony meter in overdrive.

I was thinking that. How can someone who has been stoking nationalism since she became PM come to Scotland and get angry about nationalism? It's like she's saying 'my nationalism is perfectly acceptable, but your nationalism is ridiculous.'

When I got inside the hall, they told me to go and sit right in the reserved seats at the front because I'm young and therefore brought down the average age of the room by about 40 years.

Also, you'll be pleased to know that I got booed on my way out. Never felt more like a Tory.

I remember at the Glasgow Uni Labour Club the first thing that was arranged at the first meeting I went to was busses to go down to Manchester (I think it was Manchester at least) to boo the Tory conference. That came before trying to arrange anything to do with our conference. This was in the pre-Corbyn era but it was largely made up of very leftist people at that time. A lot of conversations about reconnecting with miners, because apparently their idea of the working classes came from the 1980s.

That's the government axing housing benefit for 18-21 year olds. An utterly disgusting move that puts lots of people, particularly young LGBT+ adults with bigoted parents, at risk.

What possible sort of justification can they possibly have for this?

That's the government axing housing benefit for 18-21 year olds. An utterly disgusting move that puts lots of people, particularly young LGBT+ adults with bigoted parents, at risk.

Pushed out on day when Parliament wasn't sitting as well.
Buts its all about dopey wings and his dopey tweet today.

11 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I'll dig out the link when I get on the laptop, but the DWP are also considering making ESA Support Group claimants take part in Work related activity, including those who are terminally ill. Given the daily incompetence I deal with from DWP, that's going to be a disaster.

Link

No doubt arseholes like Oakshit will have wee chubbies at that news.

Edited by jupe1407
Edited to add link

I'll dig out the link when I get on the laptop, but the DWP are also considering making ESA Support Group claimants take part in Work related activity, including those who are terminally ill. Given the daily incompetence I deal with from DWP, that's going to be a disaster.

No doubt arseholes like Oakshit will have wee chubbies at that news.

I'm not sure if people are wilfully ignoring that reigniting the debate over deserving and undeserving poor allows the government to reclassify who is "undeserving" and cut them off immediately and cut off the rest with bureaucratic hurdles. Just because these decisions are done with the stroke of a pen and through obstruction at the ground level doesn't mean the government doesn't have blood on its hands.

I'm not sure if people are wilfully ignoring that reigniting the debate over deserving and undeserving poor allows the government to reclassify who is "undeserving" and cut them off immediately and cut off the rest with bureaucratic hurdles. Just because these decisions are done with the stroke of a pen and through obstruction at the ground level doesn't mean the government doesn't have blood on its hands.

The system is an absolute shambles tbh. DWPs call centre staff used to be fairly clued up and other than the odd arsehole, able to deal with queries on my cases. They're now an utter mess, I have to explain their own guidelines to them half the time.

It's going to get worse.

I read they're cutting benefits to widows/widowers with kids too. In a yet more extreme version of "you lost 'x', get over it", they've decided 18 months of payment is long enough so that recipients don't dwell on things too long.

They're fucking sociopaths, man.

I read they're cutting benefits to widows/widowers with kids too. In a yet more extreme version of "you lost 'x', get over it", they've decided 18 months of payment is long enough so that recipients don't dwell on things too long.
They're fucking sociopaths, man.

Was the justification for this not "so they can adjust to single life"? I'm sure I read this. If that's the case then ffs these c***s need guillotined.

7 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It was Ash Wednesday - in the school I work in their were Muslim kids who actually had ashes on their foreheads - their parents had no issue with it at all.

There should've no religion in schools.  The fact that we still have catholic schools in this country in this century is something we should be collectively ashamed of.

37 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It was Ash Wednesday - in the school I work in their were Muslim kids who actually had ashes on their foreheads - their parents had no issue with it at all.

Wait, what?

You are saying that the Muslim kids went to Mass that day & got ashes?

Wait, what?

You are saying that the Muslim kids went to Mass that day & got ashes?

Was not a mass but an Ash Wednesday service.

When we do have a mass the Muslim kids go up and get a blessing from the priest. I think the view is that they'd rather have their kids in a Catholic school than one that was non-denominational.

As someone who has taught RE on an occasional basis whilst there is a Catholic tint on RE teaching there is a strong ecumenical theme to that teaching.

For example, our starting point when discussing death is not the Catholic viewpoint but what the young people believe themselves and thus then links in to different religious viewpoints including atheism and agnosticism. It's not the fear of God approach that is used.