General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

24 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

It's how, for good or ill, memetic entities survive

10 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I have no idea what "memetic entities" are but I absolutely love the sound of it and will use it on every occasion I can.

"Memetic entities" - now that is Box Office.

(Awaiting the inevitable poor "tities"-centric puns to follow in 3... 2... 1... - or probably a Ted Rogers one after that)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39153184

The tax we pay as a proportion of income is set to rise to the highest level since the mid 80s.  Under a Tory government.  A Tory government forcing through more and more cuts under an austerity agenda.

So, we're collectively paying more of our money in tax and getting significantly less for it and the Tories claim to be fiscally responsible and, worse of all, people actually believe them.

Of course such increases in tax are not spread equally across the board, oh deary me no.  For example income tax has come down, but then again NI has increased in proportional terms.  Corporation tax has decreased significantly as part of our race to the bottom in taxing businesses.

Edited by Granny Danger

It really is remarkable that people still vote Tory in the UK. Imagine voting for a Political party that is literally killing disabled people.

1 hour ago, t1t3h said:

It really is remarkable that people still vote Tory in the UK. Imagine voting for a Political party that is literally killing disabled people.

It's an absolute riddy that there are working class people in this country so monumentally stupid they vote Tory.

3 hours ago, Fide said:

It's an absolute riddy that there are working class people in this country so monumentally stupid they vote Tory.

For me it's more of an embarrassment that the Labour Party have got themselves into such a state that the Tories have free reign.  Both parties, right now, are a disgrace.

25 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

This stupid bitch for example:

My Mrs often brings her up in conversations about why people vote Tory.  She's a prime example of the moronic, gullible, susceptible people who vote Tory, blissfully unaware that the Tory's hate them.

ETA: The woman is a prime example, not my Mrs :lol:

Edited by Fide

7 minutes ago, Fide said:

My Mrs often brings her up in conversations about why people vote Tory.  She's a prime example of the moronic, gullible, susceptible people who vote Tory, blissfully unaware that the Tory's hate them.

I genuinely laughed the first time I saw that clip. Turkeys truly voting for christmas.

15 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

I genuinely laughed the first time I saw that clip. Turkeys truly voting for christmas.

It really is quite stunning the amount of people who receive some sort of tax credit/ child benefit who vote Tory because of "benefit scroungers".

Thick, thick, thick c***s.

2 hours ago, Fide said:

I gave ye a greenie for that cos I was unsure until ye explained :lol:

23 hours ago, virginton said:

Denominational education is not segregation. A child of any religious background (or none at all) can attend either a non-denominational or a denominational school. That is the parent's choice. Setting up walls around entire communities or closing off entry to entire sections of the industrial economy based on religious background is segregation. 

and so is building a wire fence to divide a playground (based on religion)..

23 hours ago, DI Bruce Robertson said:

Ok, point taken. But.......
In my experience (bumpkin area in NE Scotland) the catholic primary school was small & over subscribed - with RC raised pupils given preference over non RC pupils, despite the catchment area.
In my opinion, that is a form of segregation based on religion.
As an aside, lots of atheist / agnostic parents wanted their children to attend this school, due to its reputation for producing a higher standard of student.
So, when is difference based on religion good? And conversely, when is it bad?

of course it is, tho I can see why in the example you give.
There should only be state schools (i.e. non-denominational) which educate all bairns.
If you want your bairns given religious instruction then see your local priest, rabbi, imam etc.