General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

Just now, Jmothecat2 said:

I can't stand Johnson, and would like to see him sacked and legally prohibited from speaking but I can't help but think it's a bit of an overreaction to something that was clearly a joke. Maybe a bit crass and insensitive but a joke nonetheless. I get that we hold politicians to a higher standard but I just feel people are trying to be offended by the comments, rather than actually offended.

The foreign minister makes jokes about dead bodies and the tory lite thinks its ok ffs

People in less sensitive roles have been sacked for far less. Joking about dead bodies a couple of days after mumbling aloud about the merits of colonialism while in Burma? He's either gone mental or is trying to get sacked.

I genuinely think his comments in Burma were worse yet there wasn't nearly the same reaction.

Which is true. That Jewish delegates spent conference talking about antisemitism highlights this. But you are happy to ignore them.

I'm happy to see evidence. Which I said in the post you quoted. Please don't reply to me. Your opinion is worthless

I'm happy to see evidence. Which I said in the post you quoted. Please don't reply to me. Your opinion is worthless

If you've not seen evidence or testimonies then you've obviously not been looking. Twitter was awash with them throughout conference. You are wilfully ignoring antisemitism, trying to sweep it under the carpet and suggesting it's 'boring' to bring it up. Now you are choosing to ignore the testimonies of Jewish delegates.

If you've not seen evidence or testimonies then you've obviously not been looking. Twitter was awash with them throughout conference. You are wilfully ignoring antisemitism, trying to sweep it under the carpet and suggesting it's 'boring' to bring it up. Now you are choosing to ignore the testimonies of Jewish delegates.

“Don’t accuse people of anti-Semitism when they criticise Israel” Jewish delegate tells the Labour Party conference https://t.co/IgTPANWHe5

“Don’t accuse people of anti-Semitism when they criticise Israel” Jewish delegate tells the Labour Party conference https://t.co/IgTPANWHe5

You've found a Jewish delegates who disagrees but ignore the vast majority who don't? Someone incidentally who was opposed to the antisemitism rule change that the vast majority of members, including antizionists, backed. She's someone on the fringes and a handful of Jewish delegates who want to diminish the antisemitism within the Labour Party doesn't undo the majority who have noticed it and point it out.

Do you accept antisemitism is a problem on the left? Assuming your answer is yes, why do you have a problem with it being brought up?

Tim Bale from Queen Mary University London has published some results of a survey on party memberships. Thought it was fairly interesting.

e0d8914136fbe3b708c95eba6467fc1b.jpg

Be interested to see a geographic breakdown of SNP membership.

You've found a Jewish delegates who disagrees but ignore the vast majority who don't? Someone incidentally who was opposed to the antisemitism rule change that the vast majority of members, including antizionists, backed. She's someone on the fringes and a handful of Jewish delegates who want to diminish the antisemitism within the Labour Party doesn't undo the majority who have noticed it and point it out.

Do you accept antisemitism is a problem on the left? Assuming your answer is yes, why do you have a problem with it being brought up?

I don't have a problem with anti-semitism being brought up you fucking moron. I'm objecting to it being conflated with anti-Zionism which is what this argument was about in the first place

I don't have a problem with anti-semitism being brought up you fucking moron. I'm objecting to it being conflated with anti-Zionism which is what this argument was about in the first place

Nobody is conflating it with antizionism. There are a lot of antizionists who are antisemitic, and use Israel as an attempted justification for their prejudiced views. You seem to think this shouldn't be brought up.

The multimillionaire farmers daughter, and MP for Angus, Kirstene Hair, has actually said something about something instead of being undecided. She wants the Scottish Agricultural Wages Board to be scrapped. The wage they set for farm workers in Scotland is £7.50 an hour, this is putting farmers off employing these money grabbing slackers, so the bold Miss Hair says that the board must be scrapped and a wage of £5 odds should be introduced immediately

The multimillionaire farmers daughter, and MP for Angus, Kirstene Hair, has actually said something about something instead of being undecided. She wants the Scottish Agricultural Wages Board to be scrapped. The wage they set for farm workers in Scotland is £7.50 an hour, this is putting farmers off employing these money grabbing slackers, so the bold Miss Hair says that the board must be scrapped and a wage of £5 odds should be introduced immediately

They really don't help themselves do they? I just don't understand how they can be that selfish.

13 minutes ago, bob the tank said:

That's odd, I'm sure I saw an article that said farmers were struggling to find workers as it is and Brexit would make this worse.

That's odd, I'm sure I saw an article that said farmers were struggling to find workers as it is and Brexit would make this worse.

Kirstene wants "the right kind of workers, ones with a lot of farming experience, and won't wreck all the expensive equipment", but for the £5 odds pay grade. She made these comments on the radio 4 farming programme, so should be available for a listen