General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

1 hour ago, bob the tank said:

Explain please

There were a number of SNP MPs who lost their seat which was to the detriment of the Westminster group. In my opinion, TAS wasn't one of them. I have little regard for career politicians.

3 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

Worth having a laugh at the Maybot's speech on BBC2 just now.

So far a protestor has managed to hand her a p45 and she's spent half the speech coughing and spluttering. A total shambles emoji38.png

Not to mention that the sign behind her slowly fell to pieces :lol:

Leading to probably my favorite thing today

and 

Awful speech and an awful conference from a party who look dead in the water. Praying that Theresa May ousts Boris, precipitates a challenge for the leadership and launches another election which sinks them from power.

Worth having a laugh at the Maybot's speech on BBC2 just now.

So far a protestor has managed to hand her a p45 and she's spent half the speech coughing and spluttering. A total shambles [emoji38]

Kin hell she is worse than big gordy broon,fully expect tory lite to be praising her courage for carrying on shortly

6 hours ago, bob the tank said:

I live in the Ochil constituency. I now have a Tory MP based in England. The reason for this is that British labour in Scotland put up a joke candidate in the general election. They did this to remove Tasmina Ahmed Sheikh. The candidate the labour party put up used to work beside my sister in law, who is an apolitical labour voter(pat votes the Scots way), and she was considered a complete zoomer at the place they worked. It was also well known that a pact had been entered into, witnessed by many people at Alloa town hall at least a fortnight before the election. All this was about SNPbad, no working for the electorate, no speaking for Scotland at Westminster, it was God bless the union and vote tory, as proposed by kezia dugdale

I don't think I'm generally too much of a tinfoil hat type when it comes to politics but I'd put good money on the Labour/Tory collusion rumours being true. Pretty strange stuff in Edinburgh North and Leith as well. Labour area for years until the SNP took it fairly narrowly from them in 2015. A seat you'd expect to see Labour making a real effort in but after the tactical voting guides put it as a Tory Unionist vote, there wasn't a peep from them. Zero leaflets or anything.

Labour came second to the SNP and nearly won it anyway, the daft c***s. 

I don't think I'm generally too much of a tinfoil hat type when it comes to politics but I'd put good money on the Labour/Tory collusion rumours being true. Pretty strange stuff in Edinburgh North and Leith as well. Labour area for years until the SNP took it fairly narrowly from them in 2015. A seat you'd expect to see Labour making a real effort in but after the tactical voting guides put it as a Tory Unionist vote, there wasn't a peep from them. Zero leaflets or anything.
Labour came second to the SNP and nearly won it anyway, the daft c***s. 

On the Edinburgh north and leith issue I know the Tories were claiming they were 'the only party who can beat the SNP here' with some questionable figures and very very misleading leaglets. There was a fair bit of anger about that locally at the time. Absolute wanks of a local Tory party up there, moreso than usual.

The transition of the Conservatives from a ruthless machine to a clown car outfit has only been bettered  by Rangers.   I mean anyone can get a sore throat but that still doesn't discount the fact you made Lee fucking Nelson relevant for the first time since 2012.

2 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

On the Edinburgh north and leith issue I know the Tories were claiming they were 'the only party who can beat the SNP here' with some questionable figures and very very misleading leaglets. There was a fair bit of anger about that locally at the time. Absolute wanks of a local Tory party up there, moreso than usual.

I can fully believe the Tories up here are total wanks but the "only we can win" stuff, along with the usual dodgy graphs, are par for the course in these elections.

What's really inexcusable is Labour, either through incompetence or something more sinister, barely campaigning in an extremely winnable seat and not getting the message out that they were actually one of two parties who could win the seat.

It worked out well here because SNP -6.9%, Labour -0.2%, Tory +11% kept the SNP in, with Labour directly fucking themselves out of a seat. Repeating that across the country though, there's no doubt they handed the Tories a good number of seats. Which is a good reason never to take any lessons from Labour on how bad nationalism is.