General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

Abortion is like 'hiring a hitman', says Pope Francis
https://news.sky.com/story/abortion-is-like-hiring-a-hitman-says-pope-francis-11728268
What an absolute c**t.
Says the man whose Australian church hierarchy is point blank refusing to comply with recently-introduced state laws demanding that information on paedophilic behaviour disclosed during the confessional be reported to the authorities.

What is it about god-botherers, and the catholic church in particular, that they frequently consider themselves to be above civil law, yet have no problem lecturing the rest of us on matters of conscience ?

4 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Says the man whose Australian church hierarchy is point blank refusing to comply with recently-introduced state laws demanding that information on paedophilic behaviour disclosed during the confessional be reported to the authorities.

What is it about god-botherers, and the catholic church in particular, that they frequently consider themselves to be above civil law, yet have no problem lecturing the rest of us on matters of conscience ?

Because religious figures, particularly christians are fucking enormous hypocrites. 

And frequently also nonces. 

29 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'd assume that attitude is worldwide in the Catholic Church. Confidentiality in confession is absolute insofar as I know. 

Edited by welshbairn

12 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
20 minutes ago, welshbairn said:
I'd assume that attitude is worldwide in the Catholic Church. Confidentiality in confession is absolute insofar as I know. 

Yes, but I think Australia is amongst the first countries to introduce this legislation, and that has upset the clergy.

I think the priest's choice would be going to jail or getting excommunicated. It would be interesting to see who chose what. Just read that if a confessor told him he'd planted a bomb under the priest's bed, the priest would not be allowed to look before he went to sleep unless it was something he normally did. :1eye

I'm not a Catholic or any religion but had a Catholic girlfriend for along time and got the impression that most so called absolute rules in Catholicism rules can be swerved around by everyone pretending not to notice. I'm sure most priests will find a way to pass on information about dangerous people if they can't persuade them to hand themselves in. Having to stand up in court and state was said in confessional is a different matter.

Edited by welshbairn

53 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Trying to rationalise religion and it’s adherents?  Good luck with that.

36 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

Sums up the Corbyn Labour Party. 

It's absolutely nothing to do with Corbyn.  Any member of any political party who openly admits voting for a rival party is likely to be expelled.

People seem to think he’ll probably get let back in on a technicality (he disclosed his vote after the polls closed). All the people calling it Stalinism are bringing me grave disappointment when I find out he hasn’t admitted to counter revolutionary crimes and been subsequently purged.

People seem to think he’ll probably get let back in on a technicality (he disclosed his vote after the polls closed). All the people calling it Stalinism are bringing me grave disappointment when I find out he hasn’t admitted to counter revolutionary crimes and been subsequently purged.

I wouldn't mind that for Campbell. A duplicitous c**t of the highest order.

31 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I back Stalinism in this case tbh.

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Alistair Campbell's been kicked out the Labour Party for voting LibDem in the EU elections.

He must be grief stricken by their decision.

:lol:

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

It's absolutely nothing to do with Corbyn.  Any member of any political party who openly admits voting for a rival party is likely to be expelled.

What about Heseltine? He voted Dib Lem, too.