General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

1 hour ago, Baxter Parp said:

Uh-huh and are women scrutinised in the same way as men?  I've asked lots of times but nobody's answered.

We can be sure that if there was some Labour male provost buying 23 pairs of shoes and getting their nails done every week then you would have already posted it.  Just to be clear this isn't about gender.  From the DR's viewpoint it is about the party they represent but regardless of party, this expenditure is both excessive and hard to justify. 

Spectacles FFS, how can you justify buying what is a personal medical device on work expenses.

Your defense of the person can be boiled down to them being an SNP member.

54 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Yes they are. I have a number of different suits, shirts and trousers which I wear depending on which client I am visiting. You cant hold the room in some meetings wearing a suit from Asda when the rest of the room is wearing suits costing £300 plus.

You're either joking or talking pish.  I hope it’s the former. 

52 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
1 hour ago, Baxter Parp said:
Uh-huh and are women scrutinised in the same way as men?  I've asked lots of times but nobody's answered.

Yes they are. I have a number of different suits, shirts and trousers which I wear depending on which client I am visiting. You cant hold the room in some meetings wearing a suit from Asda when the rest of the room is wearing suits costing £300 plus.

You need to develop some self confidence, you can't buy it from Moss Bros.

Great. Then their generous salary can extend to a few suits. There is zero need for a new one for every single occasion.

I think she is taking the piss expenses wise, but was surprised by how low her salary is, relatively speaking. I initially assumed it was the approx £60,000 an MSP gets but it's pretty much the same salary as a teacher.

1 hour ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Does a struggling salesman start turning up on a bicycle? No, he turns up in a newer car. Perception, yeah? 

I'm good thanks. Most services companies say you have to dress appropriately and a good suit and decent shirt (ties seem to disappearing thankfully in a lot of places) make a world of difference for first impressions and for general comfort and wont fall to bits either.

I've got suits which have been worn a lot that are 10 years old and still look like new. That also represents good value. I've never had or needed more than 3 pairs of shoes for work as well.

18 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
25 minutes ago, DrewDon said:
Does a struggling salesman start turning up on a bicycle? No, he turns up in a newer car. Perception, yeah? 

I'm not a salesman but the guys who are get a company lease car or allowance so not sure that fits. A lot use public transport as well.

The salesmen at my last permanent post used Mercs and BMW's, it was considered essential that the company look prosperous and successful. It's just the way of things. A lease car is a benefit in kind too, btw.

24 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

I'm good thanks. Most services companies say you have to dress appropriately and a good suit and decent shirt (ties seem to disappearing thankfully in a lot of places) make a world of difference for first impressions and for general comfort and wont fall to bits either.

I've got suits which have been worn a lot that are 10 years old and still look like new. That also represents good value. I've never had or needed more than 3 pairs of shoes for work as well.

Which would you use to meet the queen or host a civic reception or hand out medals?

3 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Those positions come with a healthy salary - and I wouldn't have just one suit.

I think most folk could get on board with a clothing expenses budget - but she's ripped the absolute arse out of it.

In that case, the slips, dresses and skirts were ill chosen.

I've authorised expenses for colleagues that have had to dress up to formal occasions and whilst it's not something I've felt particularly comfortable with, I've reconciled myself that it's a cultural issue.

However, I've personally never come across a situation where I've been faced with a Boris and Jennifer situation.

26 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
33 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I'm not a salesman but the guys who are get a company lease car or allowance so not sure that fits. A lot use public transport as well.

FFS.

2 hours ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
2 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

The only difference between a £300 suit and one from Asda is marketing.  They are both cheap shite produced in sweatshops.

It can be hard to differentiate the tongue in cheek posters with their “Kia Ceed” “5 figure income” chat from the playing it straight “3 suits at over £300 a pop” “I’m a pretty big wheel down at the cracker factory” types.

[emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

It can be hard to differentiate the tongue in cheek posters with their “Kia Ceed” “5 figure income” chat from the playing it straight “3 suits at over £300 a pop” “I’m a pretty big wheel down at the cracker factory” types.

34 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

On holiday with Aljazeera as the only news channel. Non stop coverage of Syria starting to bomb Kurdish controlled areas of Syria. Are BBC and Sky covering it?

Sky news are covering it live from the Syria/Turkey border.

Now live from Washington reading quotes from Reps giving Trump it tight.

Edited by dirty dingus

I used to work in shops owned by Moss Bros and several of the suits by all different designers were pretty much the exact same and same fabrics in many varying in price from £149-£600. Its all a load of shite. One of the boys in hugo boss used to wear a couple of shirts which looked smart as f**k and punters were always asking for them in their size and the guy would have to say ‘oh its last season’ etc despite the fact he actually bought them in primark. Its all about labels etc.