General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

I'm not really sure people should be cheering the Gamestop events.

Firstly, institutional investors are very much on both sides of this, as many rich people got richer as got poorer. The richest man in the world was in on it for f**k's sake. So it's not quite the David vs Goliath* story the media are framing it as.

Secondly, Gamestop is an actual company with more employees than could fit into Ibrox and they are affected by this. Because of these events they're in a horrifying situation, nobody wants to be in that CEO's shoes. There could be very real negative repercussions for those civilians caught in the crossfire.

Thirdly, it's not a good thing when the markets don't reflect real value. We've been here before and shouldn't be encouraging it.

Fourthly, much as society is waking up to the negative effects of gambling, I don't think making day trading sexy and easily accessible to the masses is a great idea. We've already had one very sad suicide as the result of a young man misunderstanding his potential losses.

4b, if the first bet you ever place comes in at 5000-1, you're not going to pay off your credit cards, buy a new car and then never gamble again. It's like Spud, what did Renton expect he was going to do with that money? (I'm not saying that people can't be trusted with their own money here, but I don't think sending a message of "you can f**k over the rich and make millions in one day" is a good one without first educating people in the potential downside).

Fifthly, I don't think it's particularly great to take pleasure in other people's misfortune. The ratio of "I'm happy Joe Sixpack now has the means to turn his life around" to "Ha ha! That multimillionaire is slightly less rich than he was yesterday." is a pretty ugly one.

Anyway, you can probably file that away in unpopular opinions or cast my mangled corpse into the big ball pit of red dots, but I don't think this is the big win most people seem to be making it out to be.

* not enough children named Goliath these days.

55 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Fifthly, I don't think it's particularly great to take pleasure in other people's misfortune. The ratio of "I'm happy Joe Sixpack now has the means to turn his life around" to "Ha ha! That multimillionaire is slightly less rich than he was yesterday." is a pretty ugly one.

7 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Firstly, institutional investors are very much on both sides of this, as many rich people got richer as got poorer. The richest man in the world was in on it for f**k's sake. So it's not quite the David vs Goliath* story the media are framing it as.

Secondly, Gamestop is an actual company with more employees than could fit into Ibrox and they are affected by this. Because of these events they're in a horrifying situation, nobody wants to be in that CEO's shoes. There could be very real negative repercussions for those civilians caught in the crossfire.

Thirdly, it's not a good thing when the markets don't reflect real value. We've been here before and shouldn't be encouraging it.

Fourthly, much as society is waking up to the negative effects of gambling, I don't think making day trading sexy and easily accessible to the masses is a great idea. We've already had one very sad suicide as the result of a young man misunderstanding his potential losses.

4b, if the first bet you ever place comes in at 5000-1, you're not going to pay off your credit cards, buy a new car and then never gamble again. It's like Spud, what did Renton expect he was going to do with that money? (I'm not saying that people can't be trusted with their own money here, but I don't think sending a message of "you can f**k over the rich and make millions in one day" is a good one without first educating people in the potential downside).

Anyway, you can probably file that away in unpopular opinions or cast my mangled corpse into the big ball pit of red dots, but I don't think this is the big win most people seem to be making it out to be.

* not enough children named Goliath these days.

Jeff Bezos isnae gonnae shag ye, mate.

On 28/01/2021 at 10:30, 101 said:

Because he's either

A) passionate about his cause and feels he can make a difference or

B) an egotistical w****r who's been chased out of England and can't accept he's an irrelevance to most people.

46 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

She is a c**t. The military are probably more cunty, though.

Yet for 20 years or more she was a favourite of the media and personalities who think they have something to say.

Purely anecdotal, but my wife and a bunch of her pals have moved from no /soft no / soft yes to soft yes / yes / nailed on yes based entirely round NS' leadership during (and in the months before TBF) the pandemic. 

In fact, my wife has become a fully paid up hate the BBC independence now please type supporter from voting no in indyref. 

Whether that's down solely to NS is obvs debatable (also whether its a particularly smart stance given the SG's performance in more recent times (I'll be holding my nose and voting for them, holding nose because of the massive f**k up swinney has made of education) ) , but given this, and comments you read on twitter and fb from people who actually think about things rather than take up a pre-determined polarised online position, I don't think it's too ridiculous to suggest without NS some of these conversions would be unlikely. I suppose that probably does mean there's been a slight drop in male yes votes too. 

No idea how the wife would feel about cherry (she's not expressed any strong views re the GRA and isn't hugely into politics so may not even really know who she is)  but she defo likes Sturgeon now, and 100% would never have voted for AS 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by madwullie

5 hours ago, Eednud said:

Yet for 20 years or more she was a favourite of the media and personalities who think they have something to say.

In fairness I don't think anyone could have predicted how she would turn once in office. Or maybe she always hated Muslims, but that side of her personality was hidden?

11 hours ago, Eednud said:

As good a place as any to post this. Aung San Suu Kyi detained by military.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-01/myanmar-leader-aung-san-suu-kyi-detained-ruling-party-says/13108204

Aung San Suu Kyi lived in Clachnastrone ,Old Spey Bridge, outside Grantown with her two boys for a year before she returned to Myanmar on her own, her husband Michael's family owned the substantial house as a holiday home.

Edited by SandyCromarty

44 minutes ago, Detournement said:

A 4 year old got a Prevent referall recently. Whoever is running Boris is really filling public bodies with some repulsive people many linked to the Henry Jackson Society. 

To say that Shawcross is suitable for this role is like throwing a match into a can of petrol to see what happens.

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

On 01/02/2021 at 04:18, madwullie said:

No idea how the wife would feel about cherry (she's not expressed any strong views re the GRA and isn't hugely into politics so may not even really know who she is)  but she defo likes Sturgeon now, and 100% would never have voted for AS 🤷‍♂️ 

Totally get this. Women were more likely than men to vote no last time if I remember the post match analysis correctly.

NS has won a lot of women over, many like her firm but fair approach, no sugar coating. The comparison with the blundering, over-promising oaf in No. 10 doesn't hurt either. Anecdotal only, obviously.