General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

22 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Had friends who we hadn't seen in a long time visiting recently. The conversation came round to politics at one point where they said they didn't really bother with politics but they voted Tory in the last election. When I said we'd better move the subject on, they said it was because if the Tories hadn't brought in furlough, they would have had no salary. I pointed out that almost every government in the world did the same, they claimed that the SNP wouldn't have. Now riled up I pointed out the fact that Scotland has things like free school meals and free prescriptions, they retorted that their income tax is higher so it's not really free and that their kids are not adults so the former is of no benefit to them.

Had to hold my hands up that they had voted correctly as they are clearly selfish and have no concept of society then moved on to talk about the food in front of us.

You need new friends!

There's a tendency on the political left to instinctively oppose any position advocated by the political right on that basis alone. The problem there is the right often don't know their arse from their elbow and have it wrong. Either that or they do know but misrepresent the issue. Foreign aid is an example of this dynamic. The right has successfully projected the idea into folk's heads that foreign aid is simply charity money given to poor people in the global south. So nativist right wingers oppose it and internationalist left wingers support it. Except that's not at all what foreign aid is.

Also in this interview the destructive nature of the World Bank and IMF are discussed. Plus why resource nationalism is critical for nations in the imperial periphery to develop.

Edited by FreedomFarter

20 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Thanks for that; the thought of Dougie’s catastrophic erectile dysfunction is what I needed in my sunny day. 

Another MP being a disgrace,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65774184

Geraint Davies: Labour MP suspended over behaviour claims

Labour MP Geraint Davies has been suspended from the party after claims of "completely unacceptable behaviour".

Labour said the allegations were "incredibly serious" and encouraged anyone with a complaint to report it to the party.

According to news website Politico, he is accused of subjecting younger colleagues to unwanted sexual attention.

The MP for Swansea West told Politico he did not recognise the allegations.

"None of them, as far as I know, has been lodged as complaints with the Labour Party or Parliament," he said.

"If I have inadvertently caused offence to anyone, then I am naturally sorry as it is important that we share an environment of mutual and equal respect for all."

The BBC has contacted Mr Davies for comment but has so far received no response.

Mr Davies has been administratively suspended from the party pending an investigation into the allegations.

This means he can not sit as a Labour MP while the investigation is ongoing, although he remains the member of Parliament for Swansea West and will sit as an independent.

23 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

Another MP being a disgrace,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65774184

Geraint Davies: Labour MP suspended over behaviour claims

Labour MP Geraint Davies has been suspended from the party after claims of "completely unacceptable behaviour".

Labour said the allegations were "incredibly serious" and encouraged anyone with a complaint to report it to the party.

According to news website Politico, he is accused of subjecting younger colleagues to unwanted sexual attention.

The MP for Swansea West told Politico he did not recognise the allegations.

"None of them, as far as I know, has been lodged as complaints with the Labour Party or Parliament," he said.

"If I have inadvertently caused offence to anyone, then I am naturally sorry as it is important that we share an environment of mutual and equal respect for all."

The BBC has contacted Mr Davies for comment but has so far received no response.

Mr Davies has been administratively suspended from the party pending an investigation into the allegations.

This means he can not sit as a Labour MP while the investigation is ongoing, although he remains the member of Parliament for Swansea West and will sit as an independent.

Just another example of the corruption, morally and financially that plagues politics in the UK. I'm sure there is very decent folk in politics from all parties, but guys like Davies are not a small minority there. A few stories now from fellow Labour MP's saying they were warned about him as soon as they got to Westminster. If other folk know of his behaviours, how is it allowed to continue. Its like Saville at the BBC, everyone had a story, but nothing ever done.

Personally, I'd have all MP's be subject to mandatory sessions at the beginning of each parliamentary cycle and sign off on a code of conduct, to which they are held accountable. All phones to be audited annually and surrendered back to the state un redacted when leaving parliament. 

Our elected officials should have no hiding space from their actions. If I, or anyone else was able to act in the way MP's do in any other workplace, you would expect to be reprimanded very quickly. 

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

To be fair, unless you're self-employed, it's the people in green that are clearly the losers in that map.

Slightly confused by the definition, but i think high wages increase productivity, so green indicates "winners". 

Definition :

Regional GVA at basic prices by industry is equal to the sum of taxes less subsidies on production, wages and salaries, employers’ social contributions, consumption of fixed capital and net operating surplus.

Could be

Regional GVA at basic prices by industry is equal to the sum of taxes less (subsidies on production, wages and salaries, employers’ social contributions, consumption of fixed capital and net operating surplus.) 

But i read it as:

Regional GVA at basic prices by industry is equal to the sum of (taxes less subsidies on production) , wages and salaries, employers’ social contributions, consumption of fixed capital and net operating surplus.

Which is more natural i think