General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

Just watching the One Show, and it's on about the cost of eye tests in England. I didn't realise that it's only in Scotland that everyone gets free regular eye tests. But hey, SNP and all that.

17 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

Just watching the One Show, and it's on about the cost of eye tests in England. I didn't realise that it's only in Scotland that everyone gets free regular eye tests. But hey, SNP and all that.

All the better to see your iPad with...

54 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

Who needs eye tests? Driving to Barnard Castle is a perfectly acceptable alternative.

4 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

That's exaxtly the kind of 'nice thing' that the likes of Dugdale and Foulkes would be happy to be taken away from Scotland.

10 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

That's exaxtly the kind of 'nice thing' that the likes of Dugdale and Foulkes would be happy to be taken away from Scotland.

I don't think that issue gets nearly enough attention.  As shown by the Governor General, Alister Jack, differences between Scotland and England are not popular with unionists for the simple fact they demonstrate that we are not in a "United" Kingdom. 

Suspending peak rail fares, free travel for the young, free prescriptions, tuition fees, baby boxes, eye tests, the Scottish child payment... All these will be at risk due to the "why don't we get that when Scotland does" folk in England and Scottish Labour, which is really just "Labour" with Sir Keir in charge will be under pressure to aim for conformity.  

I don't see Sarwar standing up to Sir Keir at the Scottish Parliament and Scottish Labour MPs will just do as they're told at Westminster.  "British" Labour can't even be consistent - they blame Westminster for the state of the NHS funding and performance in Wales, but lambast the SNP for the state of the NHS here.  

I've had enough of the 5 yearly Punch and Judy show in Westminster.  We fall for the "this time it'll be different" far too often.  Folk seem to think that Labour will be in power at Westminster for maybe 10 years or more, but don't forget - the Tories romped to a huge win when Corbyn was in charge and they are now in the doldrums.  They look as if they are going to be hammered, but 5 years ago they won an 80 seat majority.  The Tories will be back and as Scottish political history has shown, there's usually not a damn thing we can do about it. There's a reason why the Tories haven't won a Scottish general election since the 1950s.  Scotland is not a politically Conservative country. Unfortunately we are politically tied to one, who give us governments we simply don't want.

1 hour ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I don't think that issue gets nearly enough attention.  As shown by the Governor General, Alister Jack, differences between Scotland and England are not popular with unionists for the simple fact they demonstrate that we are not in a "United" Kingdom. 

Suspending peak rail fares, free travel for the young, free prescriptions, tuition fees, baby boxes, eye tests, the Scottish child payment... All these will be at risk due to the "why don't we get that when Scotland does" folk in England and Scottish Labour, which is really just "Labour" with Sir Keir in charge will be under pressure to aim for conformity. 

Another couple of things I can think of off the top of my head is bowel cancer screening for over 50s (60 in England, but i think they plan to reduce to 50 over time) and NHS dental charges (free check-ups for all and free treatment for people under 26 in Scotland, England pay for check-ups and only free treatment for under 18s).

The free health stuff in Scotland is obviously aimed at encouraging people to get checked early to prevent problems and cost later. A win/win for everyone surely.

It does annoy me that so many people focus on the fact Scotland has different tax rates whilst ignoring the sort of stuff the extra tax goes towards paying for.

10 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

Another couple of things I can think of off the top of my head is bowel cancer screening for over 50s (60 in England, but i think they plan to reduce to 50 over time) and NHS dental charges (free check-ups for all and free treatment for people under 26 in Scotland, England pay for check-ups and only free treatment for under 18s).

The free health stuff in Scotland is obviously aimed at encouraging people to get checked early to prevent problems and cost later. A win/win for everyone surely.

It does annoy me that so many people focus on the fact Scotland has different tax rates whilst ignoring the sort of stuff the extra tax goes towards paying for.

Quite so.

I don't think that the SNP make enough of our policy differences with England.

On 29/05/2024 at 09:47, Salt n Vinegar said:

I appreciate that not everyone thinks the same way, but in my experience it's more "why do the Scots get that when we don't?"

It's a subtle shift in thought, but the former implies that people want the same benefits, while the latter implies that they want to see them taken away. In England, people seem more likely to believe that things like NHS dentistry aren't (or shouldn't) be provided for the poor and vulnerable, so they're happier to go along with the "we don't have money for this" lie.

15 hours ago, BFTD said:

I appreciate that not everyone thinks the same way, but in my experience it's more "why do the Scots get that when we don't?"

It's a subtle shift in thought, but the former implies that people want the same benefits, while the latter implies that they want to see them taken away. In England, people seem more likely to believe that things like NHS dentistry aren't (or shouldn't) be provided for the poor and vulnerable, so they're happier to go along with the "we don't have money for this" lie.

The even more subtle shift is the "why do we pay for the things Scots get but we don't?".

They genuinely believe this way of thinking instead of questioning why they are not asking for the same.

10 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

The even more subtle shift is the "why do we pay for the things Scots get but we don't?".

They genuinely believe this way of thinking instead of questioning why they are not asking for the same.

Aye, there's been a propaganda war to portray Scots as entitled spongers for a quite a while now - it's always a shock to see quite how casually that assumption is thrown about in English media and, as a consequence, the general populace. It's obviously a useful tool designed to stop people in England questioning why they aren't receiving the same treatment; we must somehow be the bad guys, not their political leaders.

The danger for the ruling class in England is that, if their finger-pointing remains successful, it'll eventually lead to demands that something must be done to impoverish Scotland, or to break up the union altogether. Leaving the EU will have its benefits for England's owners in the long term - obliteration of human rights, dropping wages to undercut the EU in manufacturing, isolating the nation from alternate views of events, etc - but I'm not sure that there are many benefits to further inciting a struggle to keep our resources and strategic placement.

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/05/2024 at 11:46, Salt n Vinegar said:

Quite so.

I don't think that the SNP make enough of our policy differences with England.

Policy differences with England are as relevant to peoples lives in Scotland as policy differences with any other nation state. 

If anything the policy differences show how much we can diverge with existing powers. Which might be why the SNP is reluctant to point them out. 

It's rather amusing that because the Tories had Brexit, they aren't allowed to have the support amongst younger voters for right wing parties that is currently happening in Europe and Canada. 

9 hours ago, sparky88 said:

It's rather amusing that because the Tories had Brexit, they aren't allowed to have the support amongst younger voters for right wing parties that is currently happening in Europe and Canada. 

The latest Redfield Wilton effort has Reform in second place among Gen Z voters and they also have the most followers on TikTok apart from Labour.

Zoomer Brits aren’t immune to the current trend towards the far right, the Tory brand is toxic though. Absolute NAP that Farage’s latest effort will hoover up voters from the right wing 18-24 year olds. 

3 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

Buffer zones bill passes into law at Holyrood by 118-1. Presumably the 1 was Mason, again. 

How the f**k did that cretin ever get selected to stand?

Surely one of the questions in every selection meeting is “do you accept that the earth is more than 5,000 years old?”.