Dundee United v Heart of Midlothian, 20/02/2016

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as Utd fans want to moan about Aniers yellow card, surely you can see the offence for the 2nd yellow is actually a straight red?

As for this debate about too many soft cards - I disagree - Motherwell have twice come to Dens this season and kicked absolute lumps out of us with the referee refusing to book players until later on in the game. As soon as they realized the ref was letting niggly fouls go they took it in turns to boot Greg Stewart off the park until they finally injured him and he was out for 3 or 4 weeks. As much as a flowing game is better, the players also need protection.

I don't agree with yellow cards for celebrations though - a shite rule that takes all of the fun and passion from the game.

I can understand why Hearts and Utd fans are of this opinion mind - 2 of the poorest footballing sides in the league, content to shitfest and niggle their way to turgid results. Hearts of course are far more competent than Utd at getting these results.

If the ref doesn't book players they will continually foul to break up the play and let team mates get organised to defend. There are far too many fouls in the game, not yellows and reds.

Compared to when?

Anyway, I'm no saying there shouldn't be yellow and red cards. I'm saying players getting sent off for trivial offences is a nonsense. For example Anier committed what is technically a red card offence with that daft wee kick. No one got hurt. 10 minutes in the sin bin would sort that out and maybe you'd have less folk running after refs trying to get players sent off for nowt if it was reserved for actual proper stuff.

Why would players not run after the referee to get players sin binned?

It's still a numerical advantage for a length of time.

Maybe they would. With it being a less drastic punishment I think they might not, but that's obviously compete guess work. I just think a sending off, followed by a ban, is completely disproportionate to that kind of offence.

Red card has gone from being a last resort, and probably under used, to happening in about one in 3 games now. It does nowt for the spectacle

Maybe they would. With it being a less static punishment I think they might not, but that's obviously compete guess work. I just think a sending off, followed by a ban, is completely disproportionate to that kind of offence.

Red card has gone from being a last resort, and probably under used, to happening in about one in 3 games now. It does nowt for the spectacle

That's actually rarely the ref's fault though.

All the pish about "we want 22 players on the pitch, the ref should try to keep it that way" is bollocks. The ref has rules to abide by - if people want 22 players on, then the players need to take responsibility and stop making stupid fouls.

That's actually rarely the ref's fault though.

All the pish about "we want 22 players on the pitch, the ref should try to keep it that way" is bollocks. The ref has rules to abide by - if people want 22 players on, then the players need to take responsibility and stop making stupid fouls.

I'm not blaming the refs, they're not allowed much discretion. I'm blaming the rules. There are too many soft yellow and red cards.

I'm not blaming the refs, they're not allowed much discretion. I'm blaming the rules. There are too many soft yellow and red cards.

Are they soft? Or is it more that things that were deemed acceptable (rightly or wrongly) in the past are now not so?

You could also argue that players still get away with a hell of a lot from game to game. And player to player - I think we would agree that Scott Brown would have got none of the 4 bookings that led to reds in our game on Saturday!

Are they soft? Or is it more that things that were deemed acceptable (rightly or wrongly) in the past are now not so?

You could also argue that players still get away with a hell of a lot from game to game. And player to player - I think we would agree that Scott Brown would have got none of the 4 bookings that led to reds in our game on Saturday!

The change away from letting a centre half get an early boot from behind in on the centre forward for a warning and two footed tackles is all for the best.

Booking folk for leaving the pitch at a goal or a couple of daft trips is shite

I generally think, and I appreciate folk will think this is because we get loads, that there are way too many red cards in football these days.

It should be reserved for serious offences as it often ruins a game completely. McGhee and Anier get red cards for some nothing fouls and we have to play an hour with ten men. Cummings gets a red card for two technical offences in the cup and misses a massive quarter final tie for it.

Personally I'd like to see a sin bin. Nobody is hurt by these offences, and while teams shouldn't get away with it with no punishment at all, a red card is disproportionately harsh.

Agree 100% with this - the rules and guidelines on red cards are way over the top and games are ruined by them. The doublewhammy penalty rule is the worst rule when you get a keeper coming off his line and tripping the onrushing player. Half the time the officials are guessing if there has been contact or not as it happens so quickly.

Archived