Natalie McGarry- Again

Tom McB

She'll appeal the length of sentence - could be out in 6 months if she does. It is a more severe sentence because of her role.  And MSPs get a sufficiently civilised wedge that anyone misappropriating £25k will be frowned upon. 

2 hours ago, Adam said:

I am quite shocked that she received a prison sentence.  Obviously the defence notes in view of sentencing are meant to make you feel for the defendant, but to have suffered a miscarriage this week, be a mother to an 18 month old child, and then by being sent to prison resulting in potential job losses for her partner in order to look after the child, I wonder if the judge could have considered some other punitive method.

Seriously ??

She embezzled / stole money from the very people who she was there to represent , while in a position of power and trust, not for any reason other than sheer greed and to pamper herself.

This a couple who earned in excess of £100k between them, yet they still felt the need to screw over the most vulnerable in our society. She is despicable.

Personally I would have her burned at the stake..............

3 hours ago, Adam said:

I am quite shocked that she received a prison sentence.  Obviously the defence notes in view of sentencing are meant to make you feel for the defendant, but to have suffered a miscarriage this week, be a mother to an 18 month old child, and then by being sent to prison resulting in potential job losses for her partner in order to look after the child, I wonder if the judge could have considered some other punitive method.

MP'S have been jailed in the past for fiddling expenses, and that is the crux of the matter in her case, if she had been an accountant she would have probably got a suspended sentence, a heavy fine and some hours of community service, but as she was in a position as an MP representing her constituency involving voting on bills which become law, and the judges summing up does refer to her position, then her dishonesty and fraudulent behaviour indicated that she did not responsibly regard the trust her position gave her.

As it is she will be out in 6-8 months but her life and reputation is in ruins.

Edited by SandyCromarty

52 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

MP'S have been jailed in the past for fiddling expenses, and that is the crux of the matter in her case, if she had been an accountant she would have probably got a suspended sentence, a heavy fine and some hours of community service, but as she was in a position as an MP representing her constituency involving voting on bills which become law, and the judges summing up does refer to her position, then her dishonesty and fraudulent behaviour indicated that she did not responsibly regard the trust her position gave her.

As it is she will be out in 6-8 months but her life and reputation is in ruins.

As it should be.

WfI's statement is good and correct about the need for more alternatives to custodial sentences, especially for non-violent offences - a revitalised conversation about sentencing policy in this country could be one positive to come from this, but sadly feels unlikely. 

I'm struggling to see who benefits from this outcome at all - a very sad case all round. 

6 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Imagine if she hadn't miscarried and her kid had to go about the place knowing they were conceived to get their mum out of a tight spot

The kid certainly wouldn't be getting out of a tight spot.

A lawyer I follow on Twitter posted

No remorse on her part. Conduct over a lengthy period. Embezzlement taking place while she was an MP (for six months during that time). Multiple instances. It is a calculated crime where a deterrent effect makes sense in sentencing.
This was not a spur of the moment thing. Embezzlement is not, despite what some say, a victimless crime.
The embezzlement sustained her and her husband's lifestyle.
A custodial sentence is no surprise.
Length of time it was done, public office, more than one office, worked way into offices to do it, no remorse, no admission of guilt or remorse in social inquiry reports, delays to process etc.
I think it is high, but custodial is not a surprise.

15 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

No remorse on her part. Conduct over a lengthy period. Embezzlement taking place while she was an MP (for six months during that time). Multiple instances. It is a calculated crime where a deterrent effect makes sense in sentencing.
This was not a spur of the moment thing. Embezzlement is not, despite what some say, a victimless crime.
Length of time it was done, public office, more than one office, worked way into offices to do it, no remorse, no admission of guilt or remorse in social inquiry reports, delays to process etc.

Diddled a foodbank out of funds

Should have had double the sentence

19 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

On her side it might have started off as careless, then thinking "Fuckit, let's go on holiday and sort it out when we get back."  then it got to a point where she didn't know how to make it right without getting found out. If so she could have confessed as soon as the cops got involved and she probably wouldn't have done any time. It was the refusal to admit that she'd done anything wrong that did for her, rightly imo, especially with the duties and rewards of an MP.

She'll appeal the length of sentence - could be out in 6 months if she does. It is a more severe sentence because of her role.  And MSPs get a sufficiently civilised wedge that anyone misappropriating £25k will be frowned upon. 

She should have just fiddled her expenses like a normal MP. Daft cow.

5 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Seriously ??

She embezzled / stole money from the very people who she was there to represent , while in a position of power and trust, not for any reason other than sheer greed and to pamper herself.

This a couple who earned in excess of £100k between them, yet they still felt the need to screw over the most vulnerable in our society. She is despicable.

Personally I would have her burned at the stake..............

I very much doubt I'm telling anyone anything new but in my near 40 years experience of life I've learnt that the more cash folk have the more tight and greedy they are.

13 hours ago, Darren said:

I understand it's a shame for her kid and all that but she deserves to go to jail.

Don’t quite buy into this viewpoint 

The child can be looked after its Dad plus additional family members 

I can understand Judges taking personal circumstances into account if the child would be taken into care etc but this clearly isn’t the case here

She committed a serious, despicable crime

She needs to fucking lump it 

ETA: we’re not miles apart on a point here 

Edited by Frank Grimes