Funny Comedians

Comedy is obviously subjective, but there've been a fair few threads recently with people slating comedians and sitcoms / comedy programmes that they think are unfunny, overrated dirge (Hiya Mrs Browns Boys, Hiya), but who and what do you actually think is funny P&B, who actually does make you laugh? Who're the talented comedians that should get more exposure instead?

To start things off, I think Billy Connolly is the greatest stand-up that has ever lived, and essentially created (or at the very least popularised) stand-up as we know it. I also enjoy Frankie Boyle, Donald Glover jnr, Rhod Gilbert, Eddie Izzard and a good few who's names escape me at the minute.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To start things off, I think Billy Connolly is the greatest stand-up that has ever lived, and essentially created (or at the very least popularised) stand-up as we know it. I also enjoy Frankie Boyle, Donald Glover jnr, Rhod Gilbert, Eddie Izzard and a good few who's names escape me at the minute.

Maybe in the UK but before Connolly hit his comedy stride there were people like George Carlin, Richard Prior, Bob Newhart, Steve Martin, Albert Brooks etc and even further back people forget that Woody Allen started as a stand up along with the likes of Mort Sahl and Lenny Bruce.

I saw Jerry sadowitz in Dundee in 2012. It was the most amazingly funny two hours of my life.

I saw him again in 2013 in Glasgow surrounded by folk who thought they were out to see Roy chubby brown. It was fucking awful.

Richard Herring is brilliant.

Archived