Local pub

Butcher's Arms in Aberdeen. I'm closer to 524 but never been in.

A wise decision, I have heard some stories about darts teams deliberately losing to avoid a rammy.

Gilcomston is mine now but haven't been in. Prefer the Northern Lounge as it's a halfway house between the flat and college/work and the grub/0% beers on offer are alright

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Star was my local when I lived in Montrose. What a fucking pub that was. Strippers on a Sunday, live music during the week, all night raves on a Saturday and all manner of colourful characters on both sides of the bar.

I never encountered another pub like it...

Wish The Star was like that now, I would say it's beaten only by The Royal Arch as the worst pub in the town.

The Bistro is now Katie's bar and is a hovel full of bams. Vinney's can certainly be classed a celtic pub on matchdays but they have band/dj nights on quite a bit and the big man himself is a proper gent. Bit out of the way down the Raploch though.

I quite like Nicky Tam's decent tune's played from behind the bar and nice for a quiet pint.

Tartan Arms/McQ's in Bannockburn I would say is my local. Fantastic boozer, family owned for 125 years proper wee pub with plenty of tele's showing football and racing. Won the Sunday mail pub of the year a couple of years ago.

I havent been in Katys Bar in about five years, I used to live up the top of the town and whenever I walked or drove past the former Bistro it was all the jakeballs, smackheads and neds from top of the town, Cornton and Raploch hanging out in it, looks a horrible place to even contemplate a drink in, a shame as, when it was The Bistro it was the best pub in town

Vinneys down the Raploch is, as you say a kind of Celtic pub but thats mainly as 90% of that part of town are Celtic fans but like you also pointed out only really from the standpoint that 3 buses, including mine leave from there. As you mention he is a top top bloke Vinnie, very well respected in the area and he has turned the place round as it was dying a slow death as Gallaghers Bar, the pub is the focal point of the Raploch, he has regular events there, often community based. Seems like every time someone in Raploch has a birthday, engagement, anniversary, or even a funeral its always at Vinneys. He has hosted a few charity events and speakers nights too.

McQues in Bannockburn does a belter of a Steak Pie by the way, if you havent tried it then do 8)

Aye Scotrail are buying it over for 4 years, turning it into a ticket office. About a fortnight until it closes.

I'd heard exactly that as well, was in on Saturday and I think it shuts down a week on Saturday.

It's a real shame as it's a pretty decent starting and finishing point when I'm coming through from Edinburgh. It'll also be shite to see Queen Street surrounded by mostly generic chain pubs.

I'd heard exactly that as well, was in on Saturday and I think it shuts down a week on Saturday.

It's a real shame as it's a pretty decent starting and finishing point when I'm coming through from Edinburgh. It'll also be shite to see Queen Street surrounded by mostly generic chain pubs.

Best pint of Guinness in Glasgow in The Vale.  Sad news.

Doc Stewart's in Dundee.

Fucking love it.

Pretty sure I was in there for my mates brother in laws stag do. Upstairs bit and a pool table ? Was a tidy wee boozer and (I presume) the local amateur team came back after their game and made for a good atmosphere.

I havent been in Katys Bar in about five years, I used to live up the top of the town and whenever I walked or drove past the former Bistro it was all the jakeballs, smackheads and neds from top of the town, Cornton and Raploch hanging out in it, looks a horrible place to even contemplate a drink in, a shame as, when it was The Bistro it was the best pub in town

Vinneys down the Raploch is, as you say a kind of Celtic pub but thats mainly as 90% of that part of town are Celtic fans but like you also pointed out only really from the standpoint that 3 buses, including mine leave from there. As you mention he is a top top bloke Vinnie, very well respected in the area and he has turned the place round as it was dying a slow death as Gallaghers Bar, the pub is the focal point of the Raploch, he has regular events there, often community based. Seems like every time someone in Raploch has a birthday, engagement, anniversary, or even a funeral its always at Vinneys. He has hosted a few charity events and speakers nights too.

McQues in Bannockburn does a belter of a Steak Pie by the way, if you havent tried it then do 8)

My mate's gran owns Gallaghers/Vinnie's - Vinnie leases it off her but has certainly changed it round and is quite a popular place.

Well as Mcques is my local I have certainly had the steak pie. One of those pubs where everyone knows your name and if they don't would be more than happy to talk to you and make you feel welcome.

I remember when they used to have wee luminous signs up behind the bar saying they sold Champagne and Pot Noodles. I did consider once ordering these items, pouring the champagne into the pot and calling it a Champoodle.

Aye the classy sticker things you would see in corner shop windows!

I reckon you could be verging into visionary territory there with the Champoodle. The wee gadgee lassies would be like flies on shite to that.

Tennents is a fucking great pub. Probably my favourite pub on Byres Road has always been the Aragon.

I like the Aragon but a bit rundown and no live football :(

It's been a wee while since I was in, I didn't know they'd done away with the football. That was one of the things I liked about it.

I understand that ownership of the Aragon was taken over by some local 'businessmen' a couple of years ago and is no longer the place it was.

Closest to me is the Birky Inn, just outside Dundee.

There's certainly other places that you can get drink cheaper but I like it as it's one of those places where everyone basically knows everyone. A few United fans that I know go, so I tend to pick the days I go depending if the football results are favourable or not...

Closest pub to me is Lauder's on Townhill Road. Not been in there in years, there was some kind of drug related kerfuffle in the car park recently so I'll probably stick to EEP, the Elizabethan (until refurb) and Dunfermline town centre which isn't too bad for pubs if you ignore Wetherspoons and Seven Kings.

The Chase! Has a pool table, dartboard, 3 teles with BT Sport and all they funny channels so there's always football on, quiz on a Sunday with Key in the box (basically start with 10 keys and you buy a raffle ticket and if your ticket is chosen you get to pick a key, if it opens the box then you get the £300, sometimes they might have 6 keys left but it can be a must win if they've taken too much money)

Tennents, Amstel, Fosters, Guinness, Strongbow Dark Fruits, John Smiths all on tap as well as all your usual bottles and ciders. Golf club in there as well and they have a function room you can hire for free. Was at a sportsman lunch back in November there with Buller Reid, Macvennie and Kenny Clark, was very decent, 5 minute walk from my house and there is a coral, chippy, chinese, indian and a spar right next door. They don't mind you taking in food as well!

Is that in Kirkintilloch? The Chase In. If so, a good pub. Even has a TV for the smokers ;)

Closest pub to me is Lauder's on Townhill Road. Not been in there in years, there was some kind of drug related kerfuffle in the car park recently so I'll probably stick to EEP, the Elizabethan (until refurb) and Dunfermline town centre which isn't too bad for pubs if you ignore Wetherspoons and Seven Kings.

Lauders is closest to me as the crow flies. Been in about three times in six years and not only because it's like traversing the lower slopes of the Himalayas from the Bellyeoman end! The last time I was in some oddball let his dog sup from his pint before tanning the rest himself.

I'd rather add another leisurely five minutes to the journey into town for the Commercial (for beer choice), East Port (for tv fitba) or Monty's (for general shenanigans).

Archived