Local pub

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there's not a pub I would go into where I live due to my job,the team i

support and my dislike of jaikies.when back up the road it's the swan,the tile,the bull and the cave.

i'd never noticed before now my liking for four lettered pubs.

I kept meaning to go in but always ended up in the Cask & Barrel at the roundabout higher up the road.

Grimbo

Its more of a restaurant nowadays, I have been in a few times but theres better places on Broughton Street, Cask and Barrell being one of them

The Brass Monkey is now my favourite nearby me, or the Mash Tun. Have been in Teuchters on the west end a couple of times of late which was recommended by someone on here.

The closest to me in Montrose are the Golf Inn and The Northern Vaults, the one I frequent most though is Harry's, mainly because Harry himself is a friend of mine.

Is your local meant to be the boozer nearest to you or the one you frequent most?

I used to drink a lot in The Barnton Bar & Bistro in Stirling till most of the regulars started drifting away when that radge boot Janet was the manager

Being a 'family man' now I dont venture out to pubs as often as in my youth but I do frequent Vinneys Bar in Stirling and/or Peppes in Alloa before and after getting the supporters bus to the football, both are definetely what you would term 'sellick pubs'

Two to avoid then.

The closest pubs to me are the Persevere and Tamsons on Easter Road, but I frequent the Phoenix on Broughton Street most often. I'm also quite partial to a few pints in the Black Bull and Brass Monkey.

ETA: I heard that the Vale next to Queen Street is meant to be shutting down at the end of the month, which would be a shame, as Dow's is utter pish.

The Malt & Hops, Leith.

1 room, 8 hand pumps (not a euphemism).

A wee TV council telly only.

No jukebox but ace music piped in from behind the bar. There's an old piano (cue Shaky) never seen anyone play it though.

A real fire (leave it), fucking brilliant after coming in from watching the football.

Can sit/stand outside in summer.

Grimbo

Destroyed by a fire in mysterious circumstances

I've lived in my area for decades but never been in the pub down the road, the Grey Horse. I've heard there's a load of horse's arses go there so probably wise not to. 

Walk a couple of blocks and you come to the oasis of good beer that is Leslie's although haven't been in for a while. Go up the road and you get a good pint in the Cask Southside. 

Probably the Sparkle Horse since I moved slightly away from the Belle. Clearly a lover of hipster pubs.

Both are pretty decent, good selection of beer and wine and decent clientèle even if some of them wear hats indoors.

The Chase!  Has a pool table, dartboard, 3 teles with BT Sport and all they funny channels so there's always football on, quiz on a Sunday with Key in the box (basically start with 10 keys and you buy a raffle ticket and if your ticket is chosen you get to pick a key, if it opens the box then you get the £300, sometimes they might have 6 keys left but it can be a must win if they've taken too much money)

Tennents, Amstel, Fosters, Guinness, Strongbow Dark Fruits, John Smiths all on tap as well as all your usual bottles and ciders.  Golf club in there as well and they have a function room you can hire for free.  Was at a sportsman lunch back in November there  with Buller Reid, Macvennie and Kenny Clark, was very decent, 5 minute walk from my house and there is a coral, chippy, chinese, indian and a spar right next door.  They don't mind you taking in food as well!

Got loads near me, two closest are Mousetrap which has hip hop deejays on the weekend and Alhambra which has 4 screens showing the horse racing, good contrast between both.

Brass Monkey was mentioned will probably stop there for a pint later and often go to Persevere to watch football.

The Waverley for me. Technically there is a closer pub to me (just), but it's a total bearpit.

Good prices, good food and plenty of TVs for football.

Archived