The Omelette Thread

Well we've had a thread on every other form of cooking eggs

Anyhows I will crack 4 or maybe 5 eggs with a small dash of milk, a wee crack of salt and pepper, a few sliced mushrooms already fried, grate a bit of orkney cheddar into the mix, a spoonfull sweetcorn and either some cooked chicken pieces or some smoked ham (never both), after cooking for a few minutes in the pan or a wok, I grate a bit more cheese on to the top and place under grill for 2 to 3 minutes

Served with a slice of crusty bread and viola

What are your omelette routines or experiences?

It is all about the pan - the pan - the pan.

I have had good omelettes and bad omelettes, I have made good omelette and bad omelettes.

it is all about the pan.

A super hot pan is essential - or the whole thing sticks.

Put the butter or oil in the mix - not in the pan.

Not that I always remember - hence more bad omelette days to come.

I'm a big fan of the tortilla, or Spanish omelette if you will.

Have to agree with that. A favourite of mine is the "fry up tortilla"

Black pudding, diced lorne, thickly sliced link, diced boiled potato and mushroom spread evenly over the bottom of the pan. Beat eggs with a little salt and pepper then pour over. When almost set slide it on to a plate and return to pan uncooked side down for a couple of minutes. Flip it another couple times.

Fantastic.

Edited by stonedsailor

Aye, I have had the lidl tortillas they are acceptable if feeling lazy.

They are so easy to make though and far more satisfying knowing you produced it yourself.

I treated myself to the tortilla sandwich referenced in the other thread. There were left over boiled potatoes from last night (Jersey Royals are on special deals everywhere, and I'm weak and stupid), so I had potato, onion and mushroom in it. My three favourite omelette ingredients. Was tempted to put spinach in too, but held back.

Made a vinaigrette for my tomato abd red onion salad. I like it garlicky, so a big fat clove got mushed up and whisked with salt, pepper, dijon, some extra virgin and sherry vinegar. Had some lovely wee tomatoes, so that was good.

I let the tortilla go lukewarm then made the sandwich. There were no really good baguettes, so I bought an olive loaf. Spread mayonnaise on it, then inserted slabs of tortilla, then shoved in salad. Dripped in extra dressing for added mess when eating.

Came in my pants twice.