The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

I think Todd will be a decent player for us. Had played in all Dumbarton's games and apparently was a standout in the U20 game this week scoring 2 goals in a 2-1 victory over  Dundee Utd. Stelios was playing right back and also had an excellent game. Stelios hadn't played since November so was a bit rusty to go straight into the team at the weekend there.

Todd was bang average for us so I wouldn't be judging him based on how many times he played for us. Our squad is paper thin and he spent a large amount of those games covering different positions.

Absolutely not writing the guy off, he may well turn out good and I'm fully aware sometimes it just clicks for some players at certain clubs, but based on his performances with us I'll be astounded if he's a regular starter for you. One thing you can't fault is his effort.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Todd was bang average for us so I wouldn't be judging him based on how many times he played for us. Our squad is paper thin and he spent a large amount of those games covering different positions.

Absolutely not writing the guy off, he may well turn out good and I'm fully aware sometimes it just clicks for some players at certain clubs, but based on his performances with us I'll be astounded if he's a regular starter for you. One thing you can't fault is his effort.

Cheers Paddy. With 10 new signings competition should be fierce to hold down a place. I was just going by the fact that he played consistently for you - 11 points ahead of us - and reports from the U20 game.

McGinn and Mallan will be starters but Todd will be competing with Morgan, Storie, Smith, Fjorde, Magennis for the other places.

The amount of times mackenzie goes off injured, but is then available for the next game is a joke.

In true professional style tony f was saying to my pal in hospitality a few weeks back that he needs to grow a pair!

Just now, geo87 said:

The amount of times mackenzie goes off injured

It's a real issue. Defence is the area of the pitch that you would ideally never change during a game if you could possibly help it. My ideal defender is a run-through-brick-walls type, not a 'ooh, I've got a bit of a twinge,I need to come off' type.

6 minutes ago, geo87 said:

The amount of times mackenzie goes off injured, but is then available for the next game is a joke.

In true professional style tony f was saying to my pal in hospitality a few weeks back that he needs to grow a pair!

Anytime he hits the deck i expect him to go off definitely made of chocolate

Genuine reason for optimism for St. Mirren now, though of course they're still clear favourites for 10th. While comparisons have been drawn with that Morton team, the difference with this January rebuilding job is that St. Mirren seem to have signed at least one player with some kind of pedigree in each area of the park. The flip side is that even if they are good you need them to gel instantly. If they take even just two or three games to get there, you could be 10+ points adrift and you're gone.

The other reason for optimism is that it's looking likely 9th will take a low points total. There have been some seasons in the past teams have finished 9th with 40 points - on the flipside, two seasons ago Livingston only needed 27 points to make 8th. No chance of it being that low this time, but looking at Ayr & St. Mirren's form 9th is surely going to take a points total closer to 30 than 40. If the new signings do click then taking around 20 points from the last 14 games isn't wildly unrealistic.

8th is gone though - it's all well and good to look at Dumbarton and Raith and say they're only 4 wins away, and if the new signings do live up to their reputations then 4 wins from 14 is believable, but winning 4 games more than Dumbarton or Raith out of 14? If Dumbarton were to only win say 3 games for the rest of the season it would be really poor for them, and even if they're that disappointing then to make up the 12 points you're looking at 7 wins from 14 from a team who've won 2 in 22. That's into outrageous miracle territory. I suppose Raith not winning again for the rest of the season is a possibility if they stick with Locke, but he'll surely get the sack if they don't win again by the end of February.

22 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Genuine reason for optimism for St. Mirren now, though of course they're still clear favourites for 10th. While comparisons have been drawn with that Morton team, the difference with this January rebuilding job is that St. Mirren seem to have signed at least one player with some kind of pedigree in each area of the park. The flip side is that even if they are good you need them to gel instantly. If they take even just two or three games to get there, you could be 10+ points adrift and you're gone.

The other reason for optimism is that it's looking likely 9th will take a low points total. There have been some seasons in the past teams have finished 9th with 40 points - on the flipside, two seasons ago Livingston only needed 27 points to make 8th. No chance of it being that low this time, but looking at Ayr & St. Mirren's form 9th is surely going to take a points total closer to 30 than 40. If the new signings do click then taking around 20 points from the last 14 games isn't wildly unrealistic.

8th is gone though - it's all well and good to look at Dumbarton and Raith and say they're only 4 wins away, and if the new signings do live up to their reputations then 4 wins from 14 is believable, but winning 4 games more than Dumbarton or Raith out of 14? If Dumbarton were to only win say 3 games for the rest of the season it would be really poor for them, and even if they're that disappointing then to make up the 12 points you're looking at 7 wins from 14 from a team who've won 2 in 22. That's into outrageous miracle territory. I suppose Raith not winning again for the rest of the season is a possibility if they stick with Locke, but he'll surely get the sack if they don't win again by the end of February.

Agreed. I reckon any of us would happily take our chances over 4 relegation playoff matches if offered it right now. 8th or better would need to be a monumental collapse or an unforeseen run of good form and I can't really see either happening.

We're in a bit of a bind just now that in February, we could possibly win both of our league games away to Dumbaton and Ayr and yet still end up further adrift as both those sides have 4 league matches this month. Admittedly, it's highly improbable for Ayr to win 3 of their 4 matches this month but stranger things and all that!

2 hours ago, geo87 said:

I heard a few months ago MacKenzie can't train very often due to issues with his knee, which is ironic considering it's hardly ever a knee injury which forces him off.

40 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Agreed. I reckon any of us would happily take our chances over 4 relegation playoff matches if offered it right now.

f**k, I'd totally forgotten that the format wasn't the same as the skewed top-flight playoff. Fuxake :1eye

31 minutes ago, Stu said:

I heard a few months ago MacKenzie can't train very often due to issues with his knee, which is ironic considering it's hardly ever a knee injury which forces him off.

I'm sure I counted three times this season he has limped off holding his hamstring.

Aye, as soon as I seen him touching his hamstring i was expecting him to be out for weeks, maybe it was just a dead leg. Shame because he beat Miller to a few headers ect.

I thought Storie was surprisingly poor, heard great things about him against Dundee. Pal was given a hard time by Hypolitte but had a decent 2nd half. The keeper had a ropey moment when he spilled the ball with his first touch and didn't seem to recover from it.

I know the idea of 'team bonding' is a hideous one, but I wonder if the club is taking any special measures to bring the team together. And if we're not, should we be?

We should be doing anything possible to bring the team together. No stone should be unturned in trying to make this work.

Archived