The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

I would just like to apologise right now for officially putting the final nail in your coffin tonight. :(

Naw, it's fine. The fair approach is that you have to play Ryan Stevenson in goal for a further 8 games, against the other sides in the league.

15 hours ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

I would just like to apologise right now for officially putting the final nail in your coffin tonight. :(

You are so right. We are now down. Not looking forward to the mauling next week in the streets of Raith.

It's not over yet anyway, this is a completely different team from the shambles we had before January.

We should win more games than Raith and Ayr from now until the end of the season, it's just a matter of how many we can manage.

Yes you do need to win more games than us, considerably more games. I would guess at least 6 wins maybe more to catch us, Raith or Dumbarton. Do that and you deserve to stay up tbf.

54 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Yes you do need to win more games than us, considerably more games. I would guess at least 6 wins maybe more to catch us, Raith or Dumbarton. Do that and you deserve to stay up tbf.

I'd be hoping to beat Ayr in our next meeting and win both fixtures against Raith to be honest.

5 hours ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Well we have made a wee start against the League leaders....

Seen some highlights of the last couple of saints games and McGinn looks a really classy player. His goal against TNS in particular was an absolute cracker. Interested to hear whether saints fans feel he would be comfortable at premiership level? I know he was with Dundee but as far as I can remember he never done anything outstanding. 

5 hours ago, Nadroj said:

Seen some highlights of the last couple of saints games and McGinn looks a really classy player. His goal against TNS in particular was an absolute cracker. Interested to hear whether saints fans feel he would be comfortable at premiership level? I know he was with Dundee but as far as I can remember he never done anything outstanding. 

Easily. He was a Comfortable premiership player 8 years ago when he got his move to Watford and has improved significantly since then. 

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Easily. He was a Comfortable premiership player 8 years ago when he got his move to Watford and has improved significantly since then. 

Why didn't he kick on from there? Did he suffer from injuries? 

3 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Why didn't he kick on from there? Did he suffer from injuries? 

He was a regular in his first season in the Championship and then suffered a cruciate injury that kept him out for about 15 months. After that I think Watford were at the start of their mad Italian phase and he sort of got left behind, tried to break back in for another year or two but damage was done. 

6 hours ago, Nadroj said:

There's no danger he will be signing for Killie so don't get your hopes up.

3 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

When you look at the form of the bottom 4 and I have seen them all over the past few weeks then St Mirren look favourites to finish 7th, at worst.

St. Mirren staying up is now a realistic prospect for the first time in months, but I still can't see Dumbarton going down. It sounds a daft thing to say when they're only one point ahead of Raith and two ahead of Ayr, but they're always likely to grind out the occasional unexpected win and you can't say the same about Ayr and Raith.

Obviously one win could be the impetus for Ayr or Raith to push on and get more wins - we'll see if that happens for Ayr now - but I'm inclined to think the head to heads v the other teams in the fight are your only real chance of winning, it'd be a big shock if you turned over Falkirk or Dundee Utd like Dumbarton have. If Raith are going to turn it around, then it really has to start v St. Mirren next week.

The great advantage we now have is that, unless you have played us recently, everyone still thinks we are the same shit team that Alex Rae had created. Our 10 new recruits are all, (maybe besides Loy who has still to show it), far superior to the 10 they replaced. This is a different team with a different attitude that will surprise future opponents..

4 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

The great advantage we now have is that, unless you have played us recently, everyone still thinks we are the same shit team that Alex Rae had created. Our 10 new recruits are all, (maybe besides Loy who has still to show it), far superior to the 10 they replaced. This is a different team with a different attitude that will surprise future opponents..

Do you really think the teams in this division are that naive? Every team in this league will have St Mirren watched, even more so after last nights result. It might be surprising to the fans, but I'd expect any team in this league to well aware of the threat you carry now. Doesn't mean they'll be able to stop you of course, but I don't believe for a second teams are showing up to play you expecting the same team from August.

Just now, The Moonster said:

Do you really think the teams in this division are that naive? Every team in this league will have St Mirren watched, even more so after last nights result. It might be surprising to the fans, but I'd expect any team in this league to well aware of the threat you carry now. Doesn't mean they'll be able to stop you of course, but I don't believe for a second teams are showing up to play you expecting the same team from August.

The Hibs players did :)

Edit to Add: You have seen us play but before the Ayr and Hibs games their fans were still writing us off.

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Other clubs scout future opponents. Even diddies like ourselves have a scout. No club in this league will be unaware of your recent surge.

Aye, but opposition fans don't and their players still have a memory of previous games. Ayr and Hibs fans thought we were there for the taking. You have see us and know we are a different prospect now.

Archived