The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, qpfc said:

Kalvin Orsi any good? Joined Qp on loan 

Made a brief sub appearance against Spartans in the cup. Was at Aberdeen before us. Know sod all else I'm afraid.

I see Jordan Stewart has joined Annan but their website doesn't say if it's a loan or a permanent deal.

EDIT: Our website says it's a loan. Good signing for them.

3 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

DL didn't get the boot either, his contract expired and we didn't renew it.

Ach he was a really nice man, will go down in history for the cup win he achieved, tried to play football the 'nice way' but more often than not it didn't come off. I think Austin McPhee and Brian Caldwell played a big part behind the scenes that went unnoticed which would have helped Danny but on the park we weren't that great. We'd often go 5-6-7 games without a win and the pressure would build on him then he'd pull a couple of results out the bag. In fact we hardly won a match after the cup win and brought that form into the following season, I know it goes without saying but that cup win bought him extra time.

http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=2475&comp_id=13&teamTabs=results

Look at they results there. Only 4 league wins between the middle of November and March. The old board didn't sack managers that often, Gus and Danny got well over 10 years between them. Danny was very fortunate to keep his job on several occasions that season, but goodwill paid off and he did keep us up. The board were probably correct in not renewing his deal because if we got off to another crap start with no wins in the first 5, the fans would have turned on him and I don't think he deserved that. 

That's him getting booted - same way Rae booted a load of guys who didn't get contracts in the summer. You can argue he didn't get sacked, although he effectively did, but he very much got told to do one. However it's described the board decided to get rid of him.

The final season under him was a bit of a nightmare, even though we somehow sneaked eighth. We had a horrendous start and he was on the verge of the boot then we managed a few wins. That form continued over the course of the season and did no one any good. His signings in the last year was also a nightmare and paying money to tell the likes of Guy and Imrie to piss off didn't help his cause either. Paying money for Imrie still baffles me - he was a guy who would have been a decent acquisition on a free yet two or three clubs have paid money for him over the years. Bizarre!

2 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

That was when we were at our peak, probably the best side we've had in my lifetime. Thompson just signed, Hasslebaink, Teale, Carey and of course Paul McGowan who was sensational. Was that the mental 4-4 game?

It was 0-0 if I remember correctly

This month has been like a typical January transfer window for me in Football Manager.

Seems we are still in the hunt for a striker?

Is that now 10 new players you have brought in with 7 out? 9 if you include the 2 loanees you stuck out earlier today.

Not sure what to expect from you guys when you play us on Saturday. You could be anything? If you hit the ground running with all the new guys you might have a chance of staying up.

Is that now 10 new players you have brought in with 7 out? 9 if you include the 2 loanees you stuck out earlier today.

Not sure what to expect from you guys when you play us on Saturday. You could be anything? If you hit the ground running with all the new guys you might have a chance of staying up.

I've lost count i think so [emoji23].

We actually started off well against Falkirk but we lost MacKenzie to injury and that actually cost us the first goal . Even after that we should have equalised which would have changed the game but Falkirk went 2-0 up and that killed the game.

Don't know what to expect either but Stephen McGinn has to start, he'll stroll this league.

I've lost count i think so [emoji23].

We actually started off well against Falkirk but we lost MacKenzie to injury and that actually cost us the first goal . Even after that we should have equalised which would have changed the game but Falkirk went 2-0 up and that killed the game.

Don't know what to expect either but Stephen McGinn has to start, he'll stroll this league.

I think you're being a bit hopeful in regards to McGinn. He was completely anonymous and a shitebag on the pitch in his spell at Dens. Wasn't the same player that I'd seen tear it up and once look like the most promising of the McGinn trio all those years ago.

I think you're being a bit hopeful in regards to McGinn. He was completely anonymous and a shitebag on the pitch in his spell at Dens. Wasn't the same player that I'd seen tear it up and once look like the most promising of the McGinn trio all those years ago.

Looked a class above everyone else when he came on against Falkirk. So comfortable on the ball, played some cutting through balls. Shame injuries prevented him from fulfilling his potential but I think he'll be a star for us.

Meatball McGinn is in the lead with 1 Scottish Cup 1 League Cup and a Scotland cap.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

I wasn't sure what to expect of McGinn either, but looked head and shoulders the best player on the park when he came on on Saturday.

One of the few bright spots for Saints that day.

Good news that we've signed another central defender.

Webster, unfortunately, just can't hack it any more; and McKenzie, unfortunately, seems hugely injury prone.

I was actually surprised when McKenzie got injured that he didn't bring Stelios on and switch Fjelde to centre half.

The arrival of Davis and Eckersley are certainly going to give our shaky defence a lot more options - hopefully good ones!

7 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

⚽️| St Mirren complete the loan signing of 25 year-old central defender Harry Davis from Crewe Alexandra #COYS ◾️◽️

This is a strange one and surprisingly good. He's a regular for Crewe with over 200 appearances for them but has seemingly had a massive recent falling out with them. 

Once again amazing window. I still believe we're going down, but:
1) in Billy, Davis, Storie, McGinn, Smith and Loy we now have a very strong spine down the middle of the team
2) we've brought in a much better calibre of player than I was expecting
3) we appear to have done this business by moving players along, and give or take a few grand, have not ravaged the Kyle McAllister Buckets and Spades Fund.

So we've given ourselves the best possible chance of an unlikely 9th place, without being completely short-termist about it.

(Obviously I've not allowed for the £3k pw that that Ton fan said we're paying Loy...)

7 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Once again amazing window. I still believe we're going down, but:
1) in Billy, Davis, Storie, McGinn, Smith and Loy we now have a very strong spine down the middle of the team
2) we've brought in a much better calibre of player than I was expecting
3) we appear to have done this business by moving players along, and give or take a few grand, have not ravaged the Kyle McAllister Buckets and Spades Fund.

So we've given ourselves the best possible chance of an unlikely 9th place, without being completely short-termist about it.

(Obviously I've not allowed for the £3k pw that that Ton fan said we're paying Loy...)

Agreed. There's a definite line drawn in this window though, pre and post McAllister (Loy aside) which makes me think some of the funds have been freed up to attract better quality.

Guys like Stelios, Fjelde, Todd, Storie and O'Brien are mainly unknown quantities and could really go either way.

Smith, Loy, McGinn, Eckersley and Davis are all far more established and on paper make up a good nucleus of a side.

Let's just hope they hit the ground running. February is a strange month in that there is two absolute must wins in there and two games we can realistically utilise to try and gel players in as quickly as we can. I'd have much rather the two cup games had popped up first then the league game but hey ho.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

This is a strange one and surprisingly good. He's a regular for Crewe with over 200 appearances for them but has seemingly had a massive recent falling out with them. 

Eckersley and Davis have plenty of experience and it's good to at last have a decent left back. I guess Irvine will now be a squad player and I can't see his one year contract option extended.

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

I know the idea of 'team bonding' is a hideous one, but I wonder if the club is taking any special measures to bring the team together. And if we're not, should we be?

I think they had a team night out to Vienna's last Friday.

I think Todd will be a decent player for us. Had played in all Dumbarton's games and apparently was a standout in the U20 game this week scoring 2 goals in a 2-1 victory over  Dundee Utd. Stelios was playing right back and also had an excellent game. Stelios hadn't played since November so was a bit rusty to go straight into the team at the weekend there.

Archived