The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aye, but opposition fans don't and their players still have a memory of previous games. Ayr and Hibs fans thought we were there for the taking. You have see us and know we are a different prospect now.

Fans mean f**k all in all honesty. Fans thinking you are there for the taking doesn't mean the team will.

I have no idea how that would give you an advantage.

5 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

The Hibs players did :)

Edit to Add: You have seen us play but before the Ayr and Hibs games their fans were still writing us off.

You can't possibly know that Hibs turned up expecting to steamroller the same team they played earlier in the season. Just because you beat them doesn't mean they underestimated you, it's entirely plausible that you were just better on them on the night.  If any manager is sending his team to play St Mirren without having them watched then he should resign now and return to the sea.

The Hibs players did [emoji4]
Edit to Add: You have seen us play but before the Ayr and Hibs games their fans were still writing us off.

I think that's more to do with current form than underestimating saints tbh. Hibs haven't won any of their last 4 league games and that includes against the 3 bottom sides in the league.

20 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

You can't possibly know that Hibs turned up expecting to steamroller the same team they played earlier in the season. Just because you beat them doesn't mean they underestimated you, it's entirely plausible that you were just better on them on the night.  If any manager is sending his team to play St Mirren without having them watched then he should resign now and return to the sea.

Neil Lennon said he told his team that we were a different prospect than earlier games but feels they did not take that on board.

28 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Fans mean f**k all in all honesty. Fans thinking you are there for the taking doesn't mean the team will.

I have no idea how that would give you an advantage.

Managers may know but if fans and players still think we are the same old rubbish they have played then they are at a disadvantage. 

Our 'surprise' element will not last for long so we are taking advantage of it while it lasts. The last few results will have some people take notice but even on Sportsound last night they were still rabbiting on about us being cut adrift at the bottom (which we are of course) but little mention of the new confidence, attitude and improved level of performance - more about how poor Hibs were.

2 minutes ago, Avon Charlie said:

How many players total have St Mirren signed this season, must be close to 20? Must have spent the most money on players wages in the division, bar Hibs obviously. Would there be a financial disaster if you end up going down?

The Jan signings were all free, and replaced people that left the club, so the revolving door transfer policy hasn't necessarily been more expensive than if we had stuck with the same players.

We received transfer money in January that help to mitigate losses if we do go down. We'll stay full time for at least a season in League One. The challenge will come if we fail to get promoted at the first attempt.

tl;dr - We'll be fine.

8 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Neil Lennon said he told his team that we were a different prospect than earlier games but feels they did not take that on board.

So Neil Lennon had St Mirren watched and warned his players accordingly? Just because the players didn't play well doesn't mean they expected a cake walk.

@Northbank - I have to say I'm not convinced here pal. Surely it's better to assume that Hibs were well prepared and we just outplayed them? We complain when teams only lose to us because they supposedly have an 'off day' - so surely it's better to assume that teams aren't underestimating us?

Seen some highlights of the last couple of saints games and McGinn looks a really classy player. His goal against TNS in particular was an absolute cracker. Interested to hear whether saints fans feel he would be comfortable at premiership level? I know he was with Dundee but as far as I can remember he never done anything outstanding. 

He was brutal with us and looked a good mile out of his depth in the top flight. The likes of Jim McAlister were made to look like world beaters with him in the team.

29 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

He was brutal with us and looked a good mile out of his depth in the top flight. The likes of Jim McAlister were made to look like world beaters with him in the team.

That happens sometimes, though. Harkins as a case in point.

7 hours ago, McG said:

There's no danger he will be signing for Killie so don't get your hopes up.

Settle down precious. More chance of him ending up at killie than staying at saints beyond the end of this season to be fair. 

Settle down precious. More chance of him ending up at killie than staying at saints beyond the end of this season to be fair. 

Well he signed an 18 month deal in January iirc. So I'd say that you're probably wrong.

2 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Well he signed an 18 month deal in January iirc. So I'd say that you're probably wrong.

He won't stay with st mirren when they get relegated to league one. I'm not saying he will go to killie but another team will come in for him. 

19 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

He won't stay with st mirren when they get relegated to league one. I'm not saying he will go to killie but another team will come in for him. 

If

I think he will. He'll be on decent money and seems to have a genuine affinity with the club. No real reason for him to move.

4 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Was that not on the back of a horrendous injury run?

He has been sensational for us  these last few games and would walk in to any bottom 6 Premiership team.

Archived