The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'd have no idea Killie were six points off the bottom with only two wins in their last eight games.

Scenes if they end up sharing a league with St Mirren next season

15 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I wouldn't thank you for him back tbh.

Mallan on the other hand...

Since McGinn came back Mallan has been transformed. It's hard to explain to someone not going to saints games every week just how big an impact he's had.

Mallan btw, if he keeps this form up he'll not be going anywhere near Dundee; championship down south is more likely.

Since McGinn came back Mallan has been transformed. It's hard to explain to someone not going to saints games every week just how big an impact he's had.
Mallan btw, if he keeps this form up he'll not be going anywhere near Dundee; championship down south is more likely.

Without being at the wind-up, if you go down I don't exactly think you'll have much choice in the matter as he'll be offloaded to the first bidder and it'd depend on how smart Mallan could play things off the field at that point.

That being said, I'd agree with you in that our time with being linked with Mallan has came and gone. There's no chance we'll see him at Dens.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

You'd have no idea Killie were six points off the bottom with only two wins in their last eight games.

Scenes if they end up sharing a league with St Mirren next season

The real scenes would be if they're still a league apart... just not in their current leagues

4 hours ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

To be fair, the exact same place, that you have pulled St Mirren in League One from.

St Mirren are bottom of the championship and have been pretty much all season. I reckon it makes a bit more sense to say they will go down than killie. 

I meant to congratulate the saints on the fantastic victory against hibs. Well done guys, that was no mean feat. Hibs are off the boil right now, but they are still a hard team to beat. I'm glad we've got you out the way for a few games as your team are improving weekly. Hopefully you have a poor game on the 11th(?) 

On 02/03/2017 at 11:06, Coventry Saint said:

@Northbank - I have to say I'm not convinced here pal. Surely it's better to assume that Hibs were well prepared and we just outplayed them? We complain when teams only lose to us because they supposedly have an 'off day' - so surely it's better to assume that teams aren't underestimating us?

We did outplay them. Maybe I am not making my point very well.

At the start of any season teams do not really know what they are up against as most teams nowadays have a majority of a new squad. However once they have played each other a couple of times everyone gets to know each other and expectations exist for remaining games eg St Mirren at bottom, we scudded them twice so far, so must be shite and an easy 3 points.

In Jan we recruited 10 new players. In the last couple of games 6 have started and the subs have all been the new recruits. This is a totally different team to the one that started the season. How many Hibs players or fans had even heard of Stelios before Wed? Or Harry Davis? My argument is that for a short term we will be underestimated as we are unknown. That will not last long but we should take advantage while we can.

My last word on the subject as it has become tedious for me. Have your own opinions folks but I have had enough of this subject. I wish you all a good day :)

Danny Lennon's interview on the radio earlier pretty much painted Tommy Craig as a bit of a snake. He apparently went in a huff if Lennon took a training session and would talk to senior players to undermine the sessions.

Guys in the studio (Steven Thompson and Gary Teale I think) confirmed that Tommy Craig was an utter dinosaur to the extent that the groundsman made a song about it.

Still, it all worked out well eh...

Danny Lennon's interview on the radio earlier pretty much painted Tommy Craig as a bit of a snake. He apparently went in a huff if Lennon took a training session and would talk to senior players to undermine the sessions.
Guys in the studio (Steven Thompson and Gary Teale I think) confirmed that Tommy Craig was an utter dinosaur to the extent that the groundsman made a song about it.
Still, it all worked out well eh...

Why did Danny Lennon appoint him in the first place? Was it forced on him?

Can't wait to listen to this on the train tomorrow, haven't heard much from Danny at all,especially regarding this. Disgraceful that TC was appointed after he left.

I think it was widely accepted DL needed an experienced number 2. We were relegated as soon as TC was appointed manager though, the players chucked it as soon as that happened.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Why did Danny Lennon appoint him in the first place? Was it forced on him?

I think he said something about needing an experienced coach, and said that at first it worked well, but that Craig was stuck in the past and started questioning anything new, as well as just doing the same things over and over.

Despite this the St Mirren board at the time wanted top 6 (feeling that 8th was no longer good enough for their ambitions) and seemingly told Lennon that they felt he couldn't get them there, only to then go and appoint Craig, in what must be one of the most obviously comically bad and doomed to failure appointments ever, perhaps only rivalled by Raith appointing Gary Locke.

38 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I think he said something about needing an experienced coach, and said that at first it worked well, but that Craig was stuck in the past and started questioning anything new, as well as just doing the same things over and over.

Despite this the St Mirren board at the time wanted top 6 (feeling that 8th was no longer good enough for their ambitions) and seemingly told Lennon that they felt he couldn't get them there, only to then go and appoint Craig, in what must be one of the most obviously comically bad and doomed to failure appointments ever, perhaps only rivalled by Raith appointing Gary Locke.

We let Alex Smith manage us for a month between Pressley and Holt.

Still trying to figure out which of those 3 appointments was the worst.

A month isn't that bad and it sounds like he was never meant to be anything more than a stopgap, temporary manager.

However St Mirren and Raith Rovers appointed Tommy Craig and Gary Locke on a permanent basis. Not as a temporary manager.

Archived