The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

What names? Have I missed something?

Someone pointed out that the names in the background of the new kit (13 cup winning players from 87) appeared to meld into one another. This created some crackers like Der Neil Cooper and Campblly Abercromby.

Thankfully it was either an early prototype or a photography issue as the names on the kits are absolutely fine.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone pointed out that the names in the background of the new kit (13 cup winning players from 87) appeared to meld into one another. This created some crackers like Der Neil Cooper and Campblly Abercromby.

Thankfully it was either an early prototype or a photography issue as the names on the kits are absolutely fine.

Ah........cheers.

He wasn't very good for us. Maybe some potential there, as he is quite quick so a better coach that Murray might get something out him. Rae punted him as soon as he could though. Last time I saw him he was playing for Morton. Came on for the last 20 mins to run at a knackered Jason Naismith who'd just come back from a serious injury and never got out of his pocket. He was actually worse in that game than I remember him ever being for us.

That 20 minutes pretty much summed up McMullan. I think he got past Naismith the first time, Naismith booted him and promptly got booked. A fresh, pacey winger up against a knackered fullback who is on a booking should have been perfect for him. Instead, he hid and barely had a kick the rest of the game and Naisy was still charging up and down the right in the last few minutes.

We beat Stirling Albion 4-3 in a 'closed door' friendly yesterday at Stirling Uni. Clarkson double, Sutton and Gallagher the goal scorers.

Our only open to the public preseason friendly this year is on Saturday against Stenhousemuir at Ochilview, 2pm kick off.

2 hours ago, Lex said:

We beat Stirling Albion 4-3 in a 'closed door' friendly yesterday at Stirling Uni. Clarkson double, Sutton and Gallagher the goal scorers.

Our only open to the public preseason friendly this year is on Saturday against Stenhousemuir at Ochilview, 2pm kick off.

Gallagher didn't score. Was two from Clarkson and two from Sutton. 

Langfield apparently had a nightmare as well. 

We just beat Stenhousemuir 3-1 at Ochilview. We went behind but a Clarkson double and a goal from Sutton got us the win.

Well that's our preseason matches over with then, just 7 days till the real stuff starts.

2 hours ago, Lex said:

We just beat Stenhousemuir 3-1 at Ochilview. We went behind but a Clarkson double and a goal from Sutton got us the win.

Well that's our preseason matches over with then, just 7 days till the real stuff starts.

We seemingly have another closed doors game arranged next week, against whom I have no idea.

League cup games are effectively being used as pre-season games before the league kicks off if you read at the bottom here: http://www.saintmirren.net/pages/?p=55785

Balance to be struck between having too many games before the league - which is the priority - starts and not enough. Get the feeling some people are champing at the bit for us to be shite in the league cup so they can moan we didn't have enough friendlies. 

We basicacly done enough to win the game today without really playing with much intensity. Clarkson and Sutton are looking like they can form a good understanding, but we still require 3 more players preferably with pace.

We are seriously lacking genuine pace, AR will hopefully address this with his next couple of signings.

Despite getting the win, I thought St Mirren were pretty poor against Stenhousemuir yesterday. They're a big team who can handle themselves but there's a real lack of finesse and the side seems very one-paced. With no natural width and two dual target men up top, it was never going to be pretty and I thought they struggled to really impose themselves on a very average Warriors team. Other than David Clarkson's second, a wee pearler, St Mirren's goals didn't really come through ingenuity, just capitalising on our errors.

I wish you all very well for the season ahead.

4 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Despite getting the win, I thought St Mirren were pretty poor against Stenhousemuir yesterday. They're a big team who can handle themselves but there's a real lack of finesse and the side seems very one-paced. With no natural width and two dual target men up top, it was never going to be pretty and I thought they struggled to really impose themselves on a very average Warriors team. Other than David Clarkson's second, a wee pearler, St Mirren's goals didn't really come through ingenuity, just capitalising on our errors.

I wish you all very well for the season ahead.

A very fair and accurate assessment.

We are indeed crying out for both pace and width.

However, it's very early days, and if Rae can make signings of the nature we require, then we should be hard to beat, which weren't for a large part of last season.

19 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Douglas McNeil on Twitter saying that we will have a signing announced today, or Monday.

Everyone seems to be saying Ryan Hardie. Would be surprised (and pleased) if this was the case. 

Archived