The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

On official Twitter now that Walsh has joined until January.

Could make his debut tomorrow. Rangers only had one pre-season game but he played about 75 minutes and was one of the better performers on the day. He's a quick, two footed player who'll run at the opposition and cross balls into the box. His versatility could prove very useful for Rae also as he can play in either left or right midfield. 

If he gets games he'll most likely be there until next summer.

Just now, thepundit said:

Could make his debut tomorrow. Rangers only had one pre-season game but he played about 75 minutes and was one of the better performers on the day. He's a quick, two footed player who'll run at the opposition and cross balls into the box. His versatility could prove very useful for Rae also as he can play in either left or right midfield. 

If he gets games he'll most likely be there until next summer.

Happy that he offers the versatility of being able to play on either wing. Many are quite worried that he'll knock Lewis Morgan (who looks like he could be a real gem for us this season) out of the team but Rae has already offered up the opinion that Morgan is going to get his chance to shine for us this season. 

I think it's more likely that our wide players of a given week will be any two of the trio of Gallagher, Morgan and Walsh being rotated given that all three are young. 

If he's here until the summer, then good! It mean's he's been a success and if he's mince, he'll be away in January. Happy enough with the reports I've read from both Rangers fans and Dumbarton fans that he'll be an asset to the side.

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Happy that he offers the versatility of being able to play on either wing. Many are quite worried that he'll knock Lewis Morgan (who looks like he could be a real gem for us this season) out of the team but Rae has already offered up the opinion that Morgan is going to get his chance to shine for us this season. 

I think it's more likely that our wide players of a given week will be any two of the trio of Gallagher, Morgan and Walsh being rotated given that all three are young. 

If he's here until the summer, then good! It mean's he's been a success and if he's mince, he'll be away in January. Happy enough with the reports I've read from both Rangers fans and Dumbarton fans that he'll be an asset to the side.

If anything, a team competing for the league would arguably need one more signing who can play on the left or right side so all of them will no doubt get plenty of game time. Fans are right to be concerned about loan moves holding their own players back though, but up here the loan market is an unfortunate necessity.

I think it will be like marmite for fans.

It could have been the best top ever but I've accepted the logo for as long as JD continue to sponsor us.

Obviously it's better to see the full kit modelled too, but I suppose that's what happens when JD take so long to do these promotions, someone has obviously felt the need to leak the photo.

Home and away kits should be on sale before the first competitive game of the season.

I'm in two minds over JD. The customer service / stock and launch dates aren't great. The sponsor logo for the last few years isn't wonderful. That said we do get unique kits, some of them are lovely (some right stinkers too, but the club signed them off!) and things like the 1987 cup winning kit is better than generic template kits. 

I was talking to Div (I assume it was him hiding behind the B&W army banner) this morning about that kit. It is genuinely identical to the curtains in an Indian restaurant I went to years ago.

That probably doesn't sound like a good thing, but ever since I saw it this morning I've not been able to stop looking at it. The worst thing a kit can be is dull and generic, and it certainly isn't so massive pass marks to JD for coming up with something completely original.

I still haven't decided if I like it or not.

2 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I was talking to Div (I assume it was him hiding behind the B&W army banner) this morning about that kit. It is genuinely identical to the curtains in an Indian restaurant I went to years ago.

That probably doesn't sound like a good thing, but ever since I saw it this morning I've not been able to stop looking at it. The worst thing a kit can be is dull and generic, and it certainly isn't so massive pass marks to JD for coming up with something completely original.

I still haven't decided if I like it or not.

I showed it to a mate (NUFC fan, totally neutral) this morning - he's a graphic designer and, like yourself, is something of a football kit enthusiast. (Unless I've confused you with a different poster, in which case I apologise).

He fucking hated it! Like SN1F said, it's gonna be a bit marmite-ish. I think I like it, but I wouldn't be seen wearing it!

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

I showed it to a mate (NUFC fan, totally neutral) this morning - he's a graphic designer and, like yourself, is something of a football kit enthusiast. (Unless I've confused you with a different poster, in which case I apologise).

He fucking hated it! Like SN1F said, it's gonna be a bit marmite-ish. I think I like it, but I wouldn't be seen wearing it!

No I'm a complete football shirt geek and collector - just this morning I got an Ajaccio, East Stirlingshire, Shrewsbury Town and Birmingham City top to add to my collection :lol:

I think I'll need to see it in real life, but I'm always a fan of a manufacturer trying something that looks totally different.

13 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

No I'm a complete football shirt geek and collector - just this morning I got an Ajaccio, East Stirlingshire, Shrewsbury Town and Birmingham City top to add to my collection :lol:

I think I'll need to see it in real life, but I'm always a fan of a manufacturer trying something that looks totally different.

Fair enough, I thought it was you. Plenty football fans are so blinded by their own team that they won't touch any other shirts - I think it's pretty cool.

My opinion is that they could have implemented the Paisley but in a more subtle way. And it's hard to tell from the pic, but it does look very shiny/slippery! 

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Fair enough, I thought it was you. Plenty football fans are so blinded by their own team that they won't touch any other shirts - I think it's pretty cool.

My opinion is that they could have implemented the Paisley but in a more subtle way. And it's hard to tell from the pic, but it does look very shiny/slippery! 

Aye, a lot of people say that they just don't see the point in wearing other teams shirts, but me and one of my mates from school spent a lot of time trying to get the most obscure shirt we could for PE! I had an Anderlecht top which I was pretty proud of, then a Hull top whilst he had a few Croatian (iirc) ones which were pretty decent and that's how it got started.

I've now got 12 different English football League club's tops I think (and a few from some teams - Leeds H/A, Shrewsbury Third/Away, QPR A/T), with an AFC Wimbledon top next on the hit list! I've also got St Johnstone and Queens Park tops that I've bought just because they were reduced.

It looks like it's made out of that slightly shimmery material that Nike made a few tops out of in about 2012 - which were really comfortable.

Anyway, enough about my weird collecting hobbies. You can have your thread back now :lol:

13 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

We had paisley through the black stripes on the home top 2(?) seasons ago I think. It was subtle enough to not be noticed on TV cameras, but I really liked it. I'd need to see this top in real life, the shine coming from the flash probably highlights the pattern and it might be more subtle in real life. I'd probably get it, although the collar does look a bit crap.

4 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Aye, a lot of people say that they just don't see the point in wearing other teams shirts, but me and one of my mates from school spent a lot of time trying to get the most obscure shirt we could for PE! I had an Anderlecht top which I was pretty proud of, then a Hull top whilst he had a few Croatian (iirc) ones which were pretty decent and that's how it got started.

I've now got 12 different English football League club's tops I think (and a few from some teams - Leeds H/A, Shrewsbury Third/Away, QPR A/T), with an AFC Wimbledon top next on the hit list! I've also got St Johnstone and Queens Park tops that I've bought just because they were reduced.

It looks like it's made out of that slightly shimmery material that Nike made a few tops out of in about 2012 - which were really comfortable.

Anyway, enough about my weird collecting hobbies. You can have your thread back now :lol:

I'm another of these weirdos. I've never loved a strip as much as my 2004 Ecuador top.  

As for that St Mirren top, whoever chose that collar should be shot but I really like the rest of it. At least there's a bit of imagination rather than taking your standard off the shelf designs.

I imagine that games between The Pars and St.Mirren at EEP this season will probably be like the early 90s with both teams in their away shirts. Would be very surprised if a ref deemed either of your shirts not to clash with our home one.

I imagine that games between The Pars and St.Mirren at EEP this season will probably be like the early 90s with both teams in their away shirts. Would be very surprised if a ref deemed either of your shirts not to clash with our home one.

We have an all red 3rd kit that will just be worn by the players, no public sale.

2 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

We have an all red 3rd kit that will just be worn by the players, no public sale.

Don't see the point in that. Just use last season's away kit.

Archived