The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

20 minutes ago, CnauldBuddie said:

for the first time in a long time I am looking forward to a season! Alex Rae has put together a good squad, my only worry is that we might be a bit lightweight in the middle of the park - I thought John Rankin would have been a decent signing, as far as i'm aware he is still without a club. Signing him would allow Stevie Mallan to take up more of an attacking role.

Good Striking options as well, glad there is no one like Bahoken that we have as a back up  :thumsup2

Pretty sure Rankin signing for St Mirren is one of the signs of the apocalypse.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If this is the case and Quinn will be short term, then it looks like Hardie is our target. 

Not as bad as 1st thought which is good news as he is a big player for us.

Hopefully we get the Hardie deal over the line now.

Takeover complete! 

Congratulations, you just #BoughtTheBuds

We are delighted to announce that the legal formalities around SMISA’s joint offer for a majority shareholding in the club with Gordon Scott were concluded earlier today, meaning the trust is now the proud part-owner of St Mirren FC.

This means 21 July 2016 can go down as a landmark moment in St Mirren’s long and proud history – today saw the right to decide what happens with our club pass into the hands of the people who care about it most...you.

For those of us on the committee, the past year has involved an incredible amount of work and we are both proud and delighted to have finally seen the deal over the line.
Again, we want to thank the 1,300 of you who signed up to #BuyTheBuds, as without that show of support we would not have been able to make history today.

We appreciate there will be few questions about what will happen next, and hopefully these will be answered below...

With the deal completed, Gordon now owns a 50.1% stake in the club, while SMISA own 28%. Crucially, SMISA now has the option to buy the shares Gordon buys now at the price he pays now within the next ten years, and thus achieve majority fan ownership of the club.
Five of the six members of the current board will now step down and we want to pay tribute to them for all they have done for the club over the years, as the can be justifiably proud of their legacy.

Four new directors will be appointed and the new board will include Gordon (as the new chairman), club chief exec Tony Fitzpatrick, and financial advisor Alan Wardrop, while current club director and company secretary Chris Stewart will stay in place.
Gordon has also asked SMISA board member David Nicol to join him as the temporary trust representative on the St Mirren board for the next few months.

The SMISA committee will use that time to finalise a procedure for members to elect one of their own to serve as their voice in the St Mirren boardroom.
At the same time, we have already started work on a procedure through which our members can vote to choose how the £2 portion of their monthly membership will be spent on the club.
Once we have firmed up arrangements for both of these issues, we will put the details before members.

We are also working on plans for a fan party to take place in a town centre venue after the Morton game on Saturday 6 August to help usher in the new era, with details of that to be announced soon.

Once again, thank you all for your support and we look forward to writing the next chapter in the history of our club together.

SMiSA Committee

Proud night for all buddies. Huge respect must go to outgoing chairman Stewart Gilmour and his fellow directors who saved the club when it looked like we were in real danger of falling into the wrong hands.

Superb effort from everyone of the 1300 SMISA sign ups, myself included. Job done welcome to our new man at the helm, Gordon Scott.

Yeah a proud day for the club and truly historical. This is no longer a fanciful notion but the absolute reality and without downplaying the importance, it will be a hell of a fun ride to be part of in the coming years. 

Superb effort by everyone involved. Now the fun begins. Hopefully Gordon and SMISA have some fresh ideas that can make us a success on and off the park. Newish stadium, no debt, good youth/training facilities, located in a town of 80k people + surrounding areas and a bawhair away from an International Airport, the potential is there surely?  

Hopefully it inspires other clubs similar to us. Had a swatch on the Morton site and they are in heavy debt (to a Morton fan tbf) and are running at a huge loss every year, we struck gold with that Tesco deal you'll probably never see another one like it in Scottish football, I wonder if this will give the Ton fans a wee kick up the backside to get things in motion at their end to prevent a potential disaster.

Also Stewart Gilmour and the board deserve massive credit, first of all for saving the club in the first place and doing an impossible job, then pulling off the Tesco deal which is surely one of the best deals ever in Scottish Football, even if it meant leaving our home. They somehow managed to keep us in the top flight for a number of years on a strict budget, even managed to get our hands on a national trophy.

I'm going to use a corny Batman phrase here but it was a case of them staying long enough at the club to start becoming the villains. It has been stale, a few horrific decisions were made (all in the best interests of the club though, just got it wrong).  

They will all be delighted though and I'm sure they will be seen at games shouting abuse at the new board :thumsup2.

32 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Superb effort by everyone involved. Now the fun begins. Hopefully Gordon and SMISA have some fresh ideas that can make us a success on and off the park. Newish stadium, no debt, good youth/training facilities, located in a town of 80k people + surrounding areas and a bawhair away from an International Airport, the potential is there surely?  

Hopefully it inspires other clubs similar to us. Had a swatch on the Morton site and they are in heavy debt (to a Morton fan tbf) and are running at a huge loss every year, we struck gold with that Tesco deal you'll probably never see another one like it in Scottish football, I wonder if this will give the Ton fans a wee kick up the backside to get things in motion at their end to prevent a potential disaster.

I get the fear thinking about some of the folk in our support being able to control our club. Well done to all at St Mirren though.

Awaiting the figures for the past season but I'd be surprised if we made a loss. Received much better prize money for finishing 5th, made it to quarter finals of League & Scottish Cup, including a fee from Sky for the game at Parkhead. Also had a higher average attendance throughout the season due to St Mirren, Hibs and Rangers visiting twice. If we do make a loss then serious questions have to be asked. 

21 minutes ago, Scosha said:

I get the fear thinking about some of the folk in our support being able to control our club. Well done to all at St Mirren though.

I think the same can be said of any fanbase - there's a Saints supporters' group on Facebook that I had to leave because of the state of some of the comments on it. I guess the idea is that the strength in numbers will isolate any of the more extreme/idiotic views. I mean, it worked perfectly with Brexit... :unsure:

Having said that, and to contradict myself completely, it is a great effort to have got so many people to commit financially and I'd have time for anyone who has put their money where their mouth is to see this takeover work. I'm in for the minimum £12 a month as we recently had a baby and I'm skint at the moment, but would consider upping my contribution in the future - especially if it seems to be working well.

8 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:
I think the same can be said of any fanbase - there's a Saints supporters' group on Facebook that I had to leave because of the state of some of the comments on it. I guess the idea is that the strength in numbers will isolate any of the more extreme/idiotic views. I mean, it worked perfectly with Brexit... :unsure:

Having said that, and to contradict myself completely, it is a great effort to have got so many people to commit financially and I'd have time for anyone who has put their money where their mouth is to see this takeover work. I'm in for the minimum £12 a month as we recently had a baby and I'm skint at the moment, but would consider upping my contribution in the future - especially if it seems to be working well.

Unfortunately I don't think we'd get anywhere near the number of folk signing up that St Mirren got if we tried it.
I was wondering this the other day. What happens if say all of these people that have signed up decide they can't be arsed/can't afford it/don't agree with decisions being made at the club, decide they want to pull out of paying the £12 a month or whatever it is? Are they tied in for a length of time or is there a plan in place to stop that? I'd imagine it would be a bit of a nightmare if a number of folk pulled out.

5 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Unfortunately I don't think we'd get anywhere near the number of folk signing up that St Mirren got if we tried it.
I was wondering this the other day. What happens if say all of these people that have signed up decide they can't be arsed/can't afford it/don't agree with decisions being made at the club, decide they want to pull out of paying the £12 a month or whatever it is? Are they tied in for a length of time or is there a plan in place to stop that?

AFAIK, the whole plan is relying on good will. There is not tie-in.

The reason it works is that Gordon Scott has fronted the vast majority of the money, with a plan to be bought out by SMISA in 10 (I think) years or so. So there is a safety net there. I guess there will almost certainly be another push to attract members in the future, when it comes to buyout time.

(That is a very simple summary, obviously, and someone else may put it better.)

Archived