shire v edin city

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you were to pay more careful attention to my post, you'll have noted that I replied to a post questioning what Edinburgh City would bring that's fresh. As East Stirling and Montrose have done very little for a generation, it's a perfectly fair point to raise. They might do a fair bit for their community, but that doesn't entitle them to play league football.

What is it about East Stirling that entitles them to league football over Edinburgh City? History? Support base? Potential? Or the fact they're just there.

The devine right to league football has gone. The sooner one of the bottom feeders goes and is forced to win some matches in order to earn their place, the better.

Spot on.

Someone said they wanted shire to stay up because they've got some 'decent guys' there. Whit?! Every club does and every clubs been through hard times.

Shire have been at the bottom for as long as I can remember, if they stay up, fine, if not it'll be refreshing to see another club have a go. If City do the same they'll be gone again too.

If you were to pay more careful attention to my post, you'll have noted that I replied to a post questioning what Edinburgh City would bring that's fresh. As East Stirling and Montrose have done very little for a generation, it's a perfectly fair point to raise. They might do a fair bit for their community, but that doesn't entitle them to play league football.

What is it about East Stirling that entitles them to league football over Edinburgh City? History? Support base? Potential? Or the fact they're just there.

The devine right to league football has gone. The sooner one of the bottom feeders goes and is forced to win some matches in order to earn their place, the better.

I don't really disagree with any of that. East Stirlingshire have the league place because of a lot of varied reasons.

No one has said they have a divine right. It has been proved in Scotland that only one club, or company or whatever seems to have a divine right to play in the senior leagues.

The question I asked had nothing to do with that, I just wanted to know what you considered what 'bringing to the table' consisted of.

It's a comment that looks good but no one quantifies.

That only applies to Ayr United.

hqdefault.jpg

Although considering what's just happened to Norwich City, perhaps we should be wondering whether there is The Curse of Syd:

sydney-devine-singer-pictured-standing-o

Provided it's not your own team that gets relegated. Sorry if I've got you wrong personally but I bet fans of most clubs in L2 are thinking that, including those at Forfar and Cowden now they are looking over their shoulders too. I don't see Edin City bringing anything fresh to the table as it's not the old traditional Edin City BUT it is the old traditional Shire albeit neither actually owning their own grounds nowadays.

If a team finishes bottom of the league I don't even think they should get a chance to stay up in the play-offs. The SFL/SPFL has been a closed shop for far too long and bringing some new teams into the mix can give the lower leagues a big shake-up. Shire finished bottom so they deserve to be in the situation they are, history or tradition aside.

...East Stirlingshire have the league place because of a lot of varied reasons...

Before WWII they were reasonably well supported by all accounts, but getting dumped into C Division after the war and playing games against other clubs reserve teams took away most of the interest in them and it never returned because Falkirk is too small a town to support two (arguably three) league clubs to a decent standard. They should have been told to turn junior like Beith did in the late 30s in similar circumstances or to join the EoS league rather than being allowed back into the mainstream national divisions again in the mid-50s and given a guaranteed place in perpetuity when the reelection process was scrapped. Even if it doesn't happen today, I think everybody knows that the Shire are eventually going to be flushed around the U-bend of Scottish football into the Lowland League at some point. More likely than not in the next five years.

Im hoping Edinburgh City win this. For selfish reasons that it will create more of an interest around these parts, but also because they deserve it.

Nothing against the Shire, but to win two league titles on the bounce and succeed in a playoff game is a great achievement. I think the playoffs are right, but would like to see City take their rightful place in the league with a win today.

i have a feelin that Shire will sneak this today.Cove were the poorest of the 3 top highland league teams,so shire are lucky they are facing Edinburgh city.had it been Formartine or Brora rangers then things would be looking very different.

i have a feelin that Shire will sneak this today.Cove were the poorest of the 3 top highland league teams,so shire are lucky they are facing Edinburgh city.had it been Formartine or Brora rangers then things would be looking very different.

If Cove were the poorest of the 3 highland league teams then they would not have won the league.

Well that 'sooner' was season 2014/2015.

Like it or not, every team in L2 this season earned the right to be there, whether that was through not finishing 10th or winning the play-off.

Poor first half, Edinburgh City looking slightly more likely. Based on the limited lower league football I've seen this year there's a bit of a gap between the top of League Two and the bottom. Either team will need to strengthen for next season.

Archived