The Partick Thistle thread

This is the most balls deep I think Thistle have gone in many a year on a signing, 3 year deal and a transfer fee.

It'll be interesting to see where we intend to play him, my first thought was at the back as it's clearly where we're weakest and surely Osman is enough as an out an out blocker in midfield, but good that he can also cover there when Abdul inevitably gets suspended or less inevitably injured.

Would hope we're still looking for one more in the free agent pool but the English loan market is now closed off.

Thinking about the Barton deal, that's not a last-minute signing - not for a fee and a 3-year deal.

He was either waiting to see if a better offer came in, or Portsmouth were waiting on a signing.

As we've been needing a CB all season so far, I think that's where he's earmarked to play.

Or I've been overthinking things again...

Also, with Barton signing for 3 years that means that if next season started tomorrow, everyone is fit, and we haven’t been relegated and released half the squad, we could field the following team

Cerny

Dumbuya Barton Devine Booth

Osman Bannigan

Azeez Erskine Lawless

Doolan

With Scully and Nisbet as subs.

That level of continuity is unknown in my time supporting Thistle.

without having seen Barton play, I think the biggest thing I can take from signing someone who can play CB and holding mid, is that it brings competition for places.

Lately, barring injury or suspension you were guaranteed a central 4 of Devine, Lindsay, Osman and Welsh. At least now there is a realistic choice from 5 and that competition is going to improve form or you're dropped. No more watching someone struggle through a mare for months.

2 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Also, with Barton signing for 3 years that means that if next season started tomorrow, everyone is fit, and we haven’t been relegated and released half the squad, we could field the following team

Cerny

Osman Bannigan

Azeez Erskine Lawless

Doolan

That's an absolutely solid side. We've gone into the advanced stages of actual pre-seasons with weaker starting XIs than that.

59 minutes ago, stinkingbadges said:

Loving the positivity on here. Just signed a guy who wasn't first choice in a struggling league 2 side sharing the bench with Kal Naismith. 3 years and a fee? Amazing to think that yesterday we were in meltdown worth Balatoni training with us... emoji23.png

Feel better for that?

1 hour ago, stinkingbadges said:

Loving the positivity on here. Just signed a guy who wasn't first choice in a struggling league 2 side sharing the bench with Kal Naismith. 3 years and a fee? Amazing to think that yesterday we were in meltdown worth Balatoni training with us... emoji23.png

Struggling? They made the play offs last year and look to be one of the favorites this year for promotion. Also he played 26 times for Pompey last year and a pal of mine says he was one of their most impressive and improving players. He can play CM and CB and so it seems to be a sensible option and signing from our fearless leader. Most people with half a brain recognize that league 2 in England is probably about the level of the Scottish premiership outside of the top 4 clubs so yes we are all very positive that the club is showing a professionalism in wanting to do business in signing a younger player on a permanent deal for positions we all as fans recognized needed more depth. :thumsup2 I mean lets face it in the last two decades this club has made some massive errors and so forgive us for not wanting the club to make more. So all very positive and it's now time to go out with these lads and reek havoc on the league! :)

I'm intrigued to see where we deploy Barton; I don't ever recall him being a centre half, sounds a bit like our experiment with Gary Harkins and we all know how that turned out. By most accounts, he's far more comfortable in midfield - that's where I remember seeing him play for Preston - but Welsh has started the season quite well to be fair, red card apart. A 3-year deal and a transfer fee though would suggest he's hardly going to be a bench-warmer. I'd also wager that if Barton sees himself as a midfielder, he wouldn't have signed a long deal on the premise that he'd be played out of position. Either way, he's got a bit of presence about him, is comfortable on the ball and is at a good age to add to his international cap. Interesting signing.

Quite glad to see the back of Pogba for obvious reasons. He had a great game in the 2-1 win at Hamilton last season where he was the best player on the park in my opinion and demonstrated excellent hold-up play - but that was certainly the exception rather than the rule. Think he could do a job for a team if played in a front two but best for both parties that he left.

Crawford did exactly what was required and I'd like to think has improved from his few months with us. Good talker, decent shot stopper, maybe tries to overplay it sometimes which could cause trouble at a lower level where defenders are less equipped to deal with it. Would be a good signing for a League 1 team.

Still expect us to be in the market for a free agent. Would have thought if we were going to sign Grandison, we would have by now. Not really interested in Balatoni coming back at all.

4 hours ago, stinkingbadges said:

Hiya Conrad.

On 1 September 2016 at 08:36, Fuctifano said:

Cerny

Osman Bannigan

Azeez Erskine Lawless

Doolan

Totally agree. The club website says that James Penrice, Ian Stokes, James Stokes, and Conor Higgins are also under contract until 2018. Thanks to the Weirs' generosity, it's great that the club is able to make such commitments.

News out today saying Fraser expected back in full training by end of this month. I've always rated him, as when he is fit and playing he's a talent but disciplinary issues and injuries since he joined means he has this season to prove his worth I think we all know he'll be let go. I hope he comes back fit and ready to fight as Archie has better options than ever at his disposal. Nice to have all these options though! [emoji106]????

36 minutes ago, Red 'N Yellow said:

Midfield wise we have Osman, Bannigan, Barton, Welsh, Fraser and Wilson for 2 positions, only Welsh and Fraser aren't signed on for next season. Would expect at least one of those 2 to be let go at some point.

Wilson is not signed up for next season - https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/david-wilson-signs-up-for-another-year/.