The Partick Thistle thread

The only other candidate would be Wilson I’d have thought, the management team must see something in him to keep giving him an extra year after 2 appearances but if he’s not going to play when Bannigan, Fraser, and Welsh are all out, then when is he going to play- maybe a loan deal somewhere rather than a permanent.

Pogba would be more obvious for a straight out the door but with Nisbet on loan it would only leave us with 2 strikers when we look as if we might play 2 up front on the odd occasion now.

The optimist in me thinks Balatoni could end up being a better bet than most - flying against the wind a bit on here, but he's had a handful of games where he put in very solid individual performances in the top flight. The eternal pessimist reminds me that Gabriel Piccollo had a MOTM game in a 0-0 with Inverness, and he was shite.

Would prefer Grandison to Balatoni tbh, and an older, commanding head over both. Add in Tom Hateley (with the bonus that he can cover for Dumbaya's injury at right back and we can maybe rest Ziggy for any drop in form or niggling injury) and I'll be happy.

1 minute ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

The optimist in me thinks Balatoni could end up being a better bet than most - flying against the wind a bit on here, but he's had a handful of games where he put in very solid individual performances in the top flight. The eternal pessimist reminds me that Gabriel Piccollo had a MOTM game in a 0-0 with Inverness, and he was shite.

Would prefer Grandison to Balatoni tbh, and an older, commanding head over both. Add in Tom Hateley (with the bonus that he can cover for Dumbaya's injury at right back and we can maybe rest Ziggy for any drop in form or niggling injury) and I'll be happy.

He can be alright at this level provided that he has someone beside him to guide him through games, as Lee Mair, then Frans and Seaborne did. Given that that seems to be precisely what Lindsay and Devine need just now, it'd be a poor signing as I have no confidence that he'd be able to do this.

It'll probably end up being someone we've never heard of released by Port Vale or the like anyway. Would think if we wanted Grandison, we'd already have him signed up.

9 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

He can be alright at this level provided that he has someone beside him to guide him through games, as Lee Mair, then Frans and Seaborne did. Given that that seems to be precisely what Lindsay and Devine need just now, it'd be a poor signing as I have no confidence that he'd be able to do this.

It'll probably end up being someone we've never heard of released by Port Vale or the like anyway. Would think if we wanted Grandison, we'd already have him signed up.

Someone responded further up apparently if it was released from a club we wouldnt need to sign them today.

Agree with you though likely to not be someone most of us have ever heard of who we are trying to sign

Phenomenal news that Pogba is away. Could've done with Crawford as third-choice, but ultimately not that bothered.

Hopefully a CB (not Balatoni) and CM (Hateley please) before the window #slams #shut. Maybe even another centre forward after the deadline if any become available that are better than Pogba (anyone).

Two things on him

First, I'm quite glad he's gone.  There always looked like there was a player in there, but he never quite got out.  There were flashes of what he could do, but for a big imposing guy, he didn't impose himself very often.  And he couldn't jump.  Or more accurately, he seemed like he wouldn't jump.  There were times he'd get a decent leap, so it was clear he could do it, but he didn't seem to want to.  His best work seemed to be when he had little time to think about it.  Quick touches off his feet into players looked good, but when you're getting one of them every few games, it just isn't good enough.  Good luck to the guy, but he just didn't fit in.

Second though, it does leave us short of a guy.  For all that he was almost useless, he was still an option to have.  Doolan is not going to be your always-on striker who scores you 30 a season.  He's going to go through poor spells, and he could even get injured.  We got Azeez in which was good, but what do we have beyond that?  We don't even have Stevenson to impersonate a forward anymore.  I'd be a lot happier if we brought someone else in to replace Pogba, but understand that we've probably left it a little late.  A free agent could be a possibility if there's one out there that doesn''t want a fortune.

33 minutes ago, forameus said:

Two things on him

First, I'm quite glad he's gone.  There always looked like there was a player in there, but he never quite got out.  There were flashes of what he could do, but for a big imposing guy, he didn't impose himself very often.  And he couldn't jump.  Or more accurately, he seemed like he wouldn't jump.  There were times he'd get a decent leap, so it was clear he could do it, but he didn't seem to want to.  His best work seemed to be when he had little time to think about it.  Quick touches off his feet into players looked good, but when you're getting one of them every few games, it just isn't good enough.  Good luck to the guy, but he just didn't fit in.

Second though, it does leave us short of a guy.  For all that he was almost useless, he was still an option to have.  Doolan is not going to be your always-on striker who scores you 30 a season.  He's going to go through poor spells, and he could even get injured.  We got Azeez in which was good, but what do we have beyond that?  We don't even have Stevenson to impersonate a forward anymore.  I'd be a lot happier if we brought someone else in to replace Pogba, but understand that we've probably left it a little late.  A free agent could be a possibility if there's one out there that doesn''t want a fortune.

The thing with Azeez is for all he has bags of energy he so far does not look like someone who is going to get us many goals.  It is of course very early days yet