The Partick Thistle thread

13 minutes ago, Rednyella said:

That's a great question.

Jags want in project brave with the Weir academy and so hopefully this shows commitment to be elite which is the tier you need to be to gain access to the SFA funding for Malkay's brainchild.

There are positives to what MacKay and the SFA want to do but in my opinion it also limits access to youngsters that want to play the game. This goes back to what MacLaren was talking about on Sportsound a couple of weeks ago. Surely we need to increase access to all social-economic classes in the country from the poorest communities which Thistle have in their catchment area to the middle and upper class who have access but the chain is still broken to get these youngsters proper coaches and a pathway to fulfill their potential. All youth should get the chance to play nationally cherished sports like football, golf, rugby etc.

The idea of only having a handful of elite academies means those can afford it will get to and those who can't won't see a way in. Or am I seeing this incorrectly? I agree with MacLaren that many get looked over.

It's a question I'm sure the club and Weir academy have discussed at length. As with finance issues at many clubs, the elite schools will be given to larger clubs: OF, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Hearts, Hibs and one or two others leaving many out in the cold.

I don't know all the details. Just what I read in the papers and follow online but to have clubs like the Jags, Accies, Falkirk and others who try very hard to bring on youth potentially told they will lose their SFA funding won't help at all and also hurt the long term goals of these clubs. We have to promote and grow young Scottish talent in all catchment areas. Urban and rural. It's how smaller clubs survives and succeeds to grow long term. As money through TV rights, sponsorship is thin on the ground.

I for one am very concerned the SFA still don't know what they are doing. In my eyes they should see this as a very positive move by a club who want to progress and support not only their own interests of sustainability but also the national game in the long term. I am sure we are all happy to sell youth product like Liam and others when the time for them is right. Thoughts?

The sfa might marginalize lots kids with their super academy idea but I have feeling the weirs will not let that happen in our case

4 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

My thoughts and prayers are with the cretins on wearethistle. The seemingly relentless positivity surrounding the club just now must be extremely difficult for them. 

I've the opposite opinion of these cretins.     I find their constant "I'm a better supporter than you" stuff beyond tiresome

3 minutes ago, professor challenger said:

I've the opposite opinion of these cretins.     I find their constant "I'm a better supporter than you" stuff beyond tiresome

They are hipsters. They hate success and the club improving because it makes it harder for them to be a superfan.
They want Thistle to be shite and under the radar. Nothing would piss them off more than for Thistle to be a mainstream top flight club.

I don't like criticising other Thistle fans but that core of the WAT posters are all horrible c***s.

4 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

They are hipsters. They hate success and the club improving because it makes it harder for them to be a superfan.
They want Thistle to be shite and under the radar. Nothing would piss them off more than for Thistle to be a mainstream top flight club.

I don't like criticising other Thistle fans but that core of the WAT posters are all horrible c***s.

In fairness it's hardly the core, it's maybe 2 or 3. Who are all easily put on ignore.

Infact its maybe one, Sabbath. Everyone else has disappeared.

What I do find funny though, is the folk who sit on here, slagging WAT, whilst posting on WAT.

Edited by dave.j

7 minutes ago, Estragon said:

This is being reported as though Partick Thistle own the new development, but my understanding is that it's a leasing arrangement?  Any jags know the score?

If I'm reading it right, then what's happened is that the Weir's have put up the money for a third party (maybe some kind of arms length company?) to build a brand new facility which will be built bespoke for the youth team/first team/women's team which will presumably cover any and all facilities we'll need (indoor next gen pitches, outdoor, sauna, gym, kitchen, nando's etc) and we'll be given a long-term lease on the use of the facility, for which we'll be charged a fee that's pretty much exactly what we're spending on such costs just now anyway.

Guessing that the Weir's will have a controlling stake/be the major creditor for the facility and they're Jags daft, so it's effectively us getting a hugely convenient facility tailor made for us that we're not going into debt with a bank for.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

This is being reported as though Partick Thistle own the new development, but my understanding is that it's a leasing arrangement?  Any jags know the score?

It's being reported as a leasing agreement. At least it was when I watched STV News at Six.