The Partick Thistle thread

Today is the day!  I'm not sure if it is, but let's just say it is.  If something happens, I'm claiming it.  

What would we like to see in next?  Another CB seems to be most likely with the rumours floating around.

4 hours ago, the_paulo said:

Today is the day!  I'm not sure if it is, but let's just say it is.  If something happens, I'm claiming it.  

What would we like to see in next?  Another CB seems to be most likely with the rumours floating around.

You can have Thursday too for free...

Another dull day at the coal face for Thistle fans. The Twitter feed for the club seems to indicate we have about 13 season ticket holders renewed for next season and is currently selecting teams for an energy check WC competition of some sort...:green

On football front looks like a couple of ex-Jags heading for the Championship. Frans to the Tangerine Nightmare and Gary Miller to Greenock Morton.

Edited by jagfox99

23 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Another dull day at the coal face for Thistle fans. The Twitter feed for the club seems to indicate we have about 13 season ticket holders renewed for next season and is currently selecting teams for an energy check WC competition of some sort...:green

On football front looks like a couple of ex-Jags heading for the Championship. Frans to the Tangerine Nightmare and Gary Miller to Greenock Morton.

Great signing for them if true. Would have taken him back.

In my pious opinion the Frans signing for DU is a decent summary of a way they are ran as a club since their relegation.
Paying high wages to a few "bigger name" individuals at the expense of other areas of the team and then struggling.
We've just had a season of that.
Frans might be OK but I'd guess no better or no worse than that.

Would bang, but would not sign.

5 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

In my pious opinion the Frans signing for DU is a decent summary of a way they are ran as a club since their relegation.
Paying high wages to a few "bigger name" individuals at the expense of other areas of the team and then struggling.
We've just had a season of that.
Frans might be OK but I'd guess no better or no worse than that.

Would bang, but would not sign.

None of the guys we've signed this summer, or are rumoured to be signing, are big names. Quite the opposite.

2 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

2 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Great signing for them if true. Would have taken him back.

53 minutes ago, cilitbang said:

More worried about Morton than DU going by signings 

Funny how Gary Miller's reputation has developed amongst Thistle posters on here since he left. I remember him as a decent enough, depenable if unspectacular  full back/ centre back  but certainly not someone  whose presence in a rival's squad would give me cause to think they had the edge over us. 

14 minutes ago, Walter said:

Funny how Gary Miller's reputation has developed amongst Thistle posters on here since he left. I remember him as a decent enough, depenable if unspectacular  full back/ centre back  but certainly not someone  whose presence in a rival's squad would give me cause to think they had the edge over us. 

I remember him as a reliable player who did a good job in multiple positions.

Put if this way: if we'd kept Gary Miller at the time instead of placing faith in perma-crock Mustapha Dumbuya, which then led to the injury-enforced merry-go-round at RB involving Dumbuya, Elliott, Gordon, Nitriansky and McGinn, we might be in a much better place right now. Obviously it's all hindsight, but I'd guess that not hemorrhaging a shitload of money on our RB position as a consequence of one poor decision would have made a big difference.

Edited by Nightmare

I don't think either argument in the 2 above posts is mutually exclusive.

I'd have kept Miller if we had the chance but he's just a functional solid defender who I'd be much more comfortable filling in for someone than being a regular starter in any position.  I don't see him starting week in week out for any side challenging at the top.

I remember him as a reliable player who did a good job in multiple positions.
Put if this way: if we'd kept Gary Miller at the time instead of placing faith in perma-crock Mustapha Dumbuya, which then led to the injury-enforced merry-go-round at RB involving Dumbuya, Elliott, Gordon, Nitriansky and McGinn, we might be in a much better place right now. Obviously it's all hindsight, but I'd guess that not hemorrhaging a shitload of money on our RB position as a consequence of one poor decision would have made a big difference.

That’s mince. Miller replaced SOD and the first few games it became obvious he could barely cross the halfway line almost forcing Archie into signing a more attacking fullback in Dumbaya.

2 hours ago, Mulder & Ryan Scully said:

That’s mince. Miller replaced SOD and the first few games it became obvious he could barely cross the halfway line almost forcing Archie into signing a more attacking fullback in Dumbaya.

Managing a goal and an assist in that game against St Johnstone is pretty decent going from his own half. You've got to at least give him that.

Of course Miller is a more defensive-minded player than O'Donnell or Dumbuya, or indeed Elliott, but he should have been kept on for his versatility alone imo. I'm partly speaking in frustration at Dumbuya, for all his talent, being yet another drain on our finances; one more on the list of charity case that we've wasted far too much money and time on under Alan Archibald. Gary Miller wouldn't have been anything flashy on the pitch, but it's far less likely he would have been £50k a year sitting on the sidelines either.

Edited by Nightmare