The Partick Thistle thread

4 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

He may have. But if Thistle came calling he would be off like a shot.

I don't believe it for a minute, he knows he's close to pulling off the impossible with Ayr, only a daftie would go too soon.

He'll only leave us in the near future if something bad happens behind the scenes, like selling Shankland for buttons.

3 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I don't believe it for a minute, he knows he's close to pulling off the impossible with Ayr, only a daftie would go too soon.

He'll only leave us in the near future if something bad happens behind the scenes, like selling Shankland for buttons.

Leaving now would actually be the perfect thing for him to do.

He gets remembered fondly and before any potential shit hits the fan, he can’t be blamed. He also gets a signing on fee and back in the westend where his kids school is iirc. 

1 minute ago, cilitbang said:

Leaving now would actually be the perfect thing for him to do.

He gets remembered fondly and before any potential shit hits the fan, he can’t be blamed. He also gets a signing on fee and back in the westend where his kids school is iirc. 

No, most would not remember him fondly if he jumped ship at the moment and he would receive almost all of the blame, as a fanbase, we've had enough shit thrown at us to last a few lifetimes.

4 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

:lol:

What would that be after 1/36th of the season? Fair enough, you've stuffed us twice in consecutive weeks but you won't be the only team to do that this year.

Maybe this hasn't reached Ayrshire but much like Robbie Crawford may be the best kept secret in Scottish football, the worst one is that Ian McCall fancies himself for a return to Firhill. There was an extended article on the BBC following our relegation where he said that he had too much respect for Archibald to directly replace him but the undertone of the whole piece was one of self promotion for the job. He's been quoted repeatedly as saying he has 'unfinished business at Firhill' and words along those lines. 

McCall just wants a return to Firhill to restock his wardrobe since he is rarely seen out of his old Thistle gear when wandering around the west end.  Prior to the Dundee game towards the end of last season he was on Off The Ball with the unfinished business stuff I'm sure when going on about how he's brought up his son to be a Thistle fan.

Not that I'm particularly bothered about McCall returning. There's a lot of whitewashing that goes on around his time at the club, a lot of it to try and take credit away from McNamara for building a squad capable of winning the league I suspect. 

7 minutes ago, Armand 2 said:

:lol:

What would that be after 1/36th of the season? Fair enough, you've stuffed us twice in consecutive weeks but you won't be the only team to do that this year.

Maybe this hasn't reached Ayrshire but much like Robbie Crawford may be the best kept secret in Scottish football, the worst one is that Ian McCall fancies himself for a return to Firhill. There was an extended article on the BBC following our relegation where he said that he had too much respect for Archibald to directly replace him but the undertone of the whole piece was one of self promotion for the job. He's been quoted repeatedly as saying he has 'unfinished business at Firhill' and words along those lines. 

If you're staying up then we're at the other end of the league, you'll not beat Alloa once if that's all the fight you can muster.

Edited by ayrmad

24 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

If you're staying up then we're at the other end of the league, you'll not beat Alloa once if that's all the fight you can muster.

Just accept it, your manager loves the Jags.  We're his wee team.  

2 minutes ago, the_paulo said:

Just accept it, your manager loves the Jags.  We're his wee team.  

Perhaps your boards long term plan is to keep Archibald long enough to all but relegate you, then come grovelling for McCall to save their bacon.

59 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I'm 99% sure he made a lot of noises while he was our manager that he was going to "move upstairs" with us (i.e. into either a Director of Football role or the role which Ian Maxwell eventually got) and that we were his last club managerial job, which (christ) was close to a decade ago. I'd take that with a pinch of salt.

38 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

McCall just wants a return to Firhill to restock his wardrobe since he is rarely seen out of his old Thistle gear when wandering around the west end.  Prior to the Dundee game towards the end of last season he was on Off The Ball with the unfinished business stuff I'm sure when going on about how he's brought up his son to be a Thistle fan.

Not that I'm particularly bothered about McCall returning. There's a lot of whitewashing that goes on around his time at the club, a lot of it to try and take credit away from McNamara for building a squad capable of winning the league I suspect. 

This is also true. He was a decent enough manager overall edit: not least because he was following up Dick Campbell and we had the likes of Sandy Hodge playing for us before he came in, but towards the end of his spell with us we were utterly brutal, and it was the right time for him to leave.

I like the thought of him in a Director of Football role more than the idea of him coming back as a manager, though.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

2 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

ayrmad has taken a hypothetical situation which will never happen pretty badly here. 

Why would I take it badly, my team are pretty much set up for the season(stalwarts no longer walking straight back into the starting 11), your team are nowhere near and are dependent on a manager you've no faith in popping up with the 3 or 4 players required to make you competitive this season, I hope he does pull it off as there are quite a few clubs in this league that I'd rather see struggling.

Just now, ayrmad said:

Why would I take it badly, my team are pretty much set up for the season(stalwarts no longer walking straight back into the starting 11), your team are nowhere near and are dependent on a manager you've no faith in popping up with the 3 or 4 players required to make you competitive this season, I hope he does pull it off as there are quite a few clubs in this league that I'd rather see struggling.

This is definitely the reply of someone not taking it badly.

3 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

This is definitely the reply of someone not taking it badly.

Nah, if McCall left tomorrow it would be onwards n upwards from me, if we sold Shankland tomorrow for a pittance my Season Ticket would be heading back to Somerset next day delivery.

49 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Nah, if McCall left tomorrow it would be onwards n upwards from me, if we sold Shankland tomorrow for a pittance my Season Ticket would be heading back to Somerset next day delivery.

You do know that you would not get a refund?