The Partick Thistle thread

I would be extremely surprised if he gets sacked before Christmas.

The word is that he’s got through September. If a gap opens and we aren’t competitive he’s gone. If he can stay in the top 4 and be within a couple of wins of top team , or be top he stays.

The board aren’t stupid. They said he’s got this season to get us back up. If he can’t he’s gone. So it only makes sense that if by end of September we’re languishing mid table he’s very sackable.

34 minutes ago, Rednyella said:

The board aren’t stupid. They said he’s got this season to get us back up. If he can’t he’s gone. So it only makes sense that if by end of September we’re languishing mid table he’s very sackable.

The same board who wouldn’t accept another slow start last season before... well, accepting a slow start, and a relegation.

They might not be stupid, but they’re weak as f**k.

39 minutes ago, Rednyella said:

The word is that he’s got through September. If a gap opens and we aren’t competitive he’s gone. If he can stay in the top 4 and be within a couple of wins of top team , or be top he stays.

The same board who said only quality over quantity- yet we signed a guy who seems a really sound guy, but stats wise has only played 30 games in 6 years and is not yet fit 

Yesterday was a sh1t result, and the fact remains that, despite the intrigue around Coulibaly, we started the season well short of players, are still short, have taken 3 points from 9, and AA, in his usual way, has stubbornly refused to play our best young talent (Fitzpatrick) in a game where it's blindingly obvious that that's what is needed. 

He's almost certainly done as a manager.

Quite a week at Partick Thistle. Chased rainbows then back in the mire by the week’s end...

Cammy Smith free to look for another club. Key player in St Mirren’s title win last season but not rated by Stubbs. Far too sensible a signing probably.

Any word on O’Ware? A pairing of McGinty and Keown gives me the fear.

5 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Any word on O’Ware? A pairing of McGinty and Keown gives me the fear.

Agreed. Archie said on JZ last night that even before Tams injury, he knew that he needed another central defender in. The big question is will the guy be ready to hit the ground running or will he have to do a full pre season by which time Tam might be back fit!!

3 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

Agreed. Archie said on JZ last night that even before Tams injury, he knew that he needed another central defender in. The big question is will the guy be ready to hit the ground running or will he have to do a full pre season by which time Tam might be back fit!!

Couldn't bring myself to listen to the post game interview but in the pre game one it was one more defender, as though not ideal we have other guys who can cover. 

I'm quoting my own username as to who plays right back if Elliott is injured or needs put out of his misery. Melbourne was hopeless by all accounts at ayr. Spittal? Lol at the thought of him tackling. Storey would be less likely to run it out the pitch if he started in his own half I suppose. 

Lets just wait to see how the situation plays out. The Club were condemned for not signing anyone, signing guys fans from other clubs said were crap, not being ambitious and signing players we had never heard of.
They have been criticised for not releasing information and then for not revealing every detail. They have shown a degree of ambition in trying to pull this off.
None of us know this will pan out, if it is successful we could have one of our biggest signings in years. If not we will be in exactly the same position as we were last week.

As you say, we will be in the same position we were last week, but not the same as we hoped to be by end Aug. If this goes on until Friday, we will be unable to sign a striker that we desperately need.

51 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

As you say, we will be in the same position we were last week, but not the same as we hoped to be by end Aug. If this goes on until Friday, we will be unable to sign a striker that we desperately need.

Though I can't see it happening, we need to get definite yes or no on the Coulibaly situation by Friday. Doolan has looked a shadow of the player we know this season, can't see Storey or Mutombo being prolific if they are deployed up front. Troubling times!

3 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

The troubling thing also is that we now add O'Ware to the injured list. With Gordon and McCarthy out we are woefully short of potential starters. There is a slim hope that Banzo may come through the reserve game tomorrow unscathed but there is no guarantee that he can be relied on as a first team regular anytime soon.

The Keown situation needs to be settled one way or another and we really need to have the core of a first team squad in place by the weekend. I know that we can pick up free agents after the window closes but it is far from ideal if we want a settled squad.

The Keown situation is beyond farcical.

By all accounts he handles himself properly and is thoroughly professional in his outlook, so given that we are having to pay him anyway, then play him.

There's a story that an element of his package is based on appearance money. So what if it is? Pay him it , we've been leaking goals all season with a back four of Archie's choosing.

3 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

The Keown situation is beyond farcical.

By all accounts he handles himself properly and is thoroughly professional in his outlook, so given that we are having to pay him anyway, then play him.

There's a story that an element of his package is based on appearance money. So what if it is? Pay him it , we've been leaking goals all season with a back four of Archie's choosing.

I agree, if he is still at Firhill at the end of the week he has to be considered as part of the squad until at least January. If bonus money has to be paid then so be it. 

The alternative of agreeing a severance of contract I would imagine to be a much more expensive option. It could be argued that it unfair that other players took a cut in wages to play this season, but every player has to make decisions that affect their career at some point.

However, the most contentious issue is whether he would be good enough to provide the level of defensive cover required. I would be happy to have the Keown of two seasons back but not last years one.

5 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

Would rather see him off the books. Keown has been found out since Liam Lindsay left. Was a great partnership, but he has been beyond poor since then. 

I get what you are alluding to. But bringing it down to Lindsay is way too simplistic.

Two seasons ago Lindsay and Keown were being protected by a fully performing Osman and a Barton that was interested in playing football.

Last season, Keown was being - ahem -  'protected' by Ryan Edwards and the ghost of Adam Barton.

Even Liam Lindsay would have been exposed as a defender last season with those two in front of him.

10 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

I get what you are alluding to. But bringing it down to Lindsay is way too simplistic.

Two seasons ago Lindsay and Keown were being protected by a fully performing Osman and a Barton that was interested in playing football.

Last season, Keown was being - ahem -  'protected' by Ryan Edwards and the ghost of Adam Barton.

Even Liam Lindsay would have been exposed as a defender last season with those two in front of him.

Fair point but no getting away from the fact that he has been poor for the last year. I think him moving on would be best for both parties,. Surely his old man knows a few lower league English managers that could take a punt on him, even on loan, though not sure if the windows are now firmly shut in the lower English  leagues until January.

Edited by Sting777

6 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

Fair point but no getting away from the fact that he has been poor for the last year. I think him moving on would be best for both parties,. Surely his old man knows a few lower league English managers that could take a punt on him, even on loan, though not sure if the windows are now firmly shut in the lower English  leagues until January.

Had this discussion with my brother who is a Celtic fan - there is no way on earth in any of the top leagues in England you will be taken seriously as a centre back if you are less that 6ft 2ins - irrespective of who your father was/is. Niall Keown is 5ft 11ins.

My brother made the interesting point that Fabio Cannavaro is 5ft 8ins and it didn't stop him winning a WC medal.

Fabio Cannavaro was known to favour a move to the Premiership for a number of years towards the end of his career. Guess why he was overlooked?