The Partick Thistle thread

19 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

If we are in for Hastie, has anywhere said if that’s looking like a loan or a Zak Rudden style deal where they can buy him back if he turns out decent? 

A Rangers supporter told me he has 2 years left there - but Gerrard might not wish to keep him.  I have no idea how long Rudden had left at Rangers when we signed him

I would not be surprised to see us go back in for Declan McDaid. Not sure how much game time he’s had this season at Dundee, but he’s not really top flight material and McCall is a fan of him as a player. Incredibly inconsistent but at least would bring pace to the side. 

Pleased with that. Hastie and another defender by the end of the week would leave us in a decent position overall.

I still think we’re really short at CB, even after the Mayo signing. Mayo, Bell and Sena doesn’t inspire a great deal of confidence as a group.

Happy with Mayo's signing.

Agree we are still a couple defenders short, preferably another CB and full back. In an ideal world I'd take two full backs as not sure Foster or Holt are up to much and neither give us the option to go 3-5-2 with wing backs, but cant see that happening.

Mayo is a good signing.

Is it knee-jerky to say Holt should probably be considered a centre half first and foremost based on his limited appearances in pre-season / LC? Yes. Is it true? Maybe.

A full back with pace, and a winger- I'd prefer Hastie over McDaid which seems strange given one has a track record at this level and the other has had about 10 good games for Motherwell in 2019 - still required. Agree we could probably do with another CB / FB on top of that but might be pushing it.

2 hours ago, R&Y99 said:

Holt and McKenna also being centre back options makes me think we won’t sign another centre back this window.

The lack of defensive depth, even with Mayo joining, is still a concern. O'Ware must be replaced when he moves on.

McKenna covers Foster at RB and Foster covers Holt at LB. If both get injured or suspended, we're in trouble.

Bringing in another CB and a LB are more important than signing Hastie.

Who can play in each position:

GK - Sneddon, Stone

LB - Holt, Foster, Bannigan, (Mayo?)

CB - Bell, Mayo, McKenna, Sena, Holt, (Brownlie)

RB - Foster, McKenna, Mayo, Gordon

CM - Bannigan, Docherty, Turner, Gordon, Smith, Mayo, Sena

W - Tiffoney, Murray, Rudden, McIver, Smith

CF - Graham, Rudden, McIver, Smith, Tiffoney, Murray

We also only have 3 left footed outfield players - Holt, Bannigan, Sena.

Winger position looks light as it’s only Tiffoney and Murray there for their natural position, so would think a left sided winger is a main target. Left back looks a bit light too.

7 minutes ago, chilly jag said:

Who can play in each position:

GK - Sneddon, Stone

LB - Holt, Foster, Bannigan, (Mayo?)

CB - Bell, Mayo, McKenna, Sena, Holt, (Brownlie)

RB - Foster, McKenna, Mayo, Gordon

CM - Bannigan, Docherty, Turner, Gordon, Smith, Mayo, Sena

W - Tiffoney, Murray, Rudden, McIver, Smith

CF - Graham, Rudden, McIver, Smith, Tiffoney, Murray

Winger position looks light as it’s only Tiffoney and Murray there for their natural position, so would think a left sided winger is a main target. Left back looks a bit light too.

Sena is right footed.

Some of those are a real stretch (eg. if Stuart Bannigan or Shea Gordon have to play at FB again then that would be a sign that something has gone very, very wrong this season), but you’re right in that it does highlight how weak we are in terms of wide midfielders. Hastie (or similar) must be a high priority this week.

26 minutes ago, chilly jag said:

Welcome to my bandwagon (although as already pointed out, Sena is right footed leaving it at 2). 

Your breakdown of the squad does show we're a bit unbalanced, and also that Gordon was really an unnecessary  signing given we signed Turner the same day and already had Bannigan, Docherty and Sena under contract. Finding a Shea Gordon level replacement if we'd held off and he'd gone elsewhere wouldn't have been too hard.

Could also make a similar case for Bell but with him at least there's the experience and apparent good to have around dressing room plus we wouldn't have been expecting Brownlie's knee to fall off.

Based on that would definitely prefer a left-sided full back but will take a right sided one as long as they're decent and quick, as our team outside Tiffoney at the moment is sloooow.

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

as our team outside Tiffoney at the moment is sloooow.

This is why I'd be very keen to sign Hastie, even if he has only had about 2 decent months in his entire professional career. I know we've had very quick players before who were fucking abysmal (yes, I am talking about you Miles), but someone else with some pace is a must. 

If we can get a quick full back too, that'd be delightful. I think I'd be relatively content with Mayo and Holt at centre back tbh.