The Partick Thistle thread

29 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

Not sure it was a snide comment directed at ICT, although surely ICT were a bit short sighted in selecting that date for one of their hospitality dates ? 

I am not 100% sure on this but I think hospitality is technically available for every game but it would only be run if we had enough numbers booked up to justify it and this just happens to be one of the games where we have had enough bookings.

15 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Best get on the phone to those hospitality bookings.

😂 That's an absolute minter from both clubs to be honest. Thistle putting out an abrasive statement about it 6 hours before it gets moved anyway (and in reality the clubs knew about it at least a few hours earlier) and Inverness refusing to move the game only to be told by the tv company that it's moving anyway.

SPFL not coming out of it particularly well either really since presumably they'd been involved in the discussions if there was a dispute about when it was getting played. They should have checked with the BBC before letting it get that far.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

If those dates are correct then yes they are. They've never been later than 31 May before and there's an established principle that in theory the domestic games are completed by then. I wasn't aware they were later this year either (of course, given we carelessly got relegated last year I don't need to be). I assume this is a knock on from the Premiership World Cup shutdown. I'm not certain this was know a year in advance either. It may have been but it's fairly commonplace for playoff dates only to be confirmed once the tv companies confirm their scheduling.

I've a lot of sympathy for Thistle on this to be honest. Whilst most established premier league clubs seem to run contracts to 9th June routinely (window opening), in my experience nearly every lower division club, routinely runs them to 31 May. We certainly do. I doubt if Thistle are the only club potentially affected by this.

The playoff dates in June were published on the SPFL's key dates section of the website in June 2022 going by web archive, not sure how long before that is published the clubs are informed by the SPFL.

Players signed before June 2022 will be impacted by this so I do have some level of sympathy but not with it taking until February 2023 for the club to notice.

34 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

The playoff dates in June were published on the SPFL's key dates section of the website in June 2022 going by web archive, not sure how long before that is published the clubs are informed by the SPFL.

Players signed before June 2022 will be impacted by this so I do have some level of sympathy but not with it taking until February 2023 for the club to notice.

I don't doubt it, but those dates are always subject to change by the tv companies and are merely guidance until confirmed much nearer the time. I take the point that it still does make it clear they were likely to be in June but frankly I can't say it's a spectacular failure in admin to have missed that. As I said before I'd bet good money every single club in the division, with the possible exception of Dundee and maybe Hamilton, is in the same boat.

And if they didn't notice when it was published a year ago, I'm genuinely surprised they've noticed now to be honest. I wonder if the SPFL themselves flagged it up to all Championship clubs? It's not like it's players going out of contract by this weekend or they've played someone on an expired contract. I really don't think this is a big deal other than being an administrative pain in the arse to fix. If I was them I wouldn't even bother to fix it until they are sure they actually need to. I'd wait until they've won a playoff semi final (or at least quarter final). Otherwise you're just paying two weeks extra wages for everyone on a "just in case" basis.

I suspect, though can't say for certain, that the SPFL have flagged this up to Clubs. 

Contracts traditionally expire on May 31st and this is the first ever (?) season that hasn't been finished by that date. Even the Covid season was rushed to, for us three games a week, a conclusion before that date. 

it's an adminstrative oversight, perhaps one that should have been picked up on earlier although I know I couldn't have told you the season extended into June this season. 

I don't see the logic in comments relating to the main jersey sponsors being an employment law company. It's not as if there is anything legally wrong with the contracts. Just that the expiry date is a shade on the earlier side. 

9 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

Are you suggesting that Jacqui's old board and their employees (including CEO and qualified lawyer G Britton) were too busy focusing on their fake "fan ownership" share transfer, and digging a huge black hole in the club finances, to draw up contracts lasting the whole season - including the playoffs which they riskily budgeted to reach to break even?  if so, you could be right...

Amongst other things. I am not sure Britton being a lawyer is relevant, though. Wasn’t he a criminal lawyer ?

4 hours ago, PB1994 said:

I am not 100% sure on this but I think hospitality is technically available for every game but it would only be run if we had enough numbers booked up to justify it and this just happens to be one of the games where we have had enough bookings.

It still seems strange that they would go ahead with arranging it for a 3pm kick off on the day of a Scotland game which starts at 2pm. 

2 hours ago, John MacLean said:

I suspect, though can't say for certain, that the SPFL have flagged this up to Clubs. 

Contracts traditionally expire on May 31st and this is the first ever (?) season that hasn't been finished by that date. Even the Covid season was rushed to, for us three games a week, a conclusion before that date. 

it's an adminstrative oversight, perhaps one that should have been picked up on earlier although I know I couldn't have told you the season extended into June this season. 

I don't see the logic in comments relating to the main jersey sponsors being an employment law company. It's not as if there is anything legally wrong with the contracts. Just that the expiry date is a shade on the earlier side. 

And if i remember there was a bit of discussion around extending the season, but players contracts was put forward as one of the reasons it couldn’t be done.

1 hour ago, jagsfan57 said:

It still seems strange that they would go ahead with arranging it for a 3pm kick off on the day of a Scotland game which starts at 2pm. 

It was arranged before the Scotland games were announced, I'd assume the hospitality was on sale before the Scotland games were announced and had sold out so why on earth would ICT then offer to switch to bring in what would likely be around 100 more away fans? Given the Scotland games have been known for a while I don't think PTFC can have much complaint given that they didn't get in touch until the end of January.

3 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

Amongst other things. I am not sure Britton being a lawyer is relevant, though. Wasn’t he a criminal lawyer ?

If you want to blame TJF, just say it directly instead of posting these vague insinuations.

Edited by Nightmare

1 hour ago, Virtual Insanity said:

It was arranged before the Scotland games were announced, I'd assume the hospitality was on sale before the Scotland games were announced and had sold out so why on earth would ICT then offer to switch to bring in what would likely be around 100 more away fans? Given the Scotland games have been known for a while I don't think PTFC can have much complaint given that they didn't get in touch until the end of January.

That’s quite a long time for hospitality to be on sale ahead of a match (roughly about 5 months) forget the Scotland game for a minute given the fact the BBC have a track record of picking this fixture for televised coverage surely ICT must’ve known that there was a strong possibility they’d do so again? Whilst I’m sure (given their dismissal of moving the game upon request) they’ll be disappointed at the BBC now pretty much forcing them to change hospitality plans I’d suspect they aren’t at all surprised. 

I do however think your other points are largely fair arguments. 

14 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

😂 That's an absolute minter from both clubs to be honest. Thistle putting out an abrasive statement about it 6 hours before it gets moved anyway (and in reality the clubs knew about it at least a few hours earlier) and Inverness refusing to move the game only to be told by the tv company that it's moving anyway.

SPFL not coming out of it particularly well either really since presumably they'd been involved in the discussions if there was a dispute about when it was getting played. They should have checked with the BBC before letting it get that far.

(In reality the clubs knew about it one hour and two minutes earlier … informed by the league by email at 1.58pm, embargoed for 3pm) 

8 hours ago, Nightmare said:

If you want to blame TJF, just say it directly instead of posting these vague insinuations.

Eh? I wasn’t thinking of TJF having anything to do with this. I was thinking of the Gaelic signage project that they were involved in that I thought was getting done at the wrong time. 

10 hours ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Even so, I would have thought they would want to try and make it a 4pm kick off, then the hospitality guests could see the Scotland game on tv, too. And if they really wanted to protect their hospitality income, they should have contacted us. 
No argument about how long it took us to contact them, mind you.