The Partick Thistle thread

10 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I still don’t think we could afford him, even if he is pals with Smillie. 

True,as reading between the lines of last night's statement, we will be paying the wages of the three departed coaches, for the foreseeable future. 

Worth remembering that Smillie himself is only in an interim position at the club, very possible he won’t be chairman come next season therefore Lennon doing a pal a favour by taking us over (once he becomes available in April) would make even less sense. 

11 hours ago, virginton said:

It confirms that you were spending money that you patently do not have in order to pursue a gormless 'promotion push'. 

There can’t be many,if any, teams in a ten team league that don’t go for promotion. It is worth remembering that if we have been overspending, it was the old board who said they didn’t need any extra money. 

Looks like a bit of a mess. Big budget that you couldn't afford and a management team who failed to do anything with it.

Waited until you got the funds from the Ibrox game to pay McCall etc off and now you have to go with an interim manager because you can't afford a new management team this season.

TJF Statement concerning the Club Finances

Spoiler

circulated that to all members. It remains available on our website here and sections 3 to 5 are of most relevant interest.

Despite some misleading proclamations, the Net Current Assets and Cash Reserves had both been greatly reduced, and the Current Ratio had fallen to close to 1, which we highlighted as an issue for the future.

At the AGM, there was a plethora of questions on this topic from a number of shareholders and TJF representatives as proxies. There was not a feeling in the room these had been well answered.

Given the history of recent loss-making by the previous Board, and the financial situation carried forward into this season as explained above (and now inherited by the new Board), that the Club's financial situation is now described as "challenging" ought to be a surprise to no-one. Most certainly not anyone who can read Accounts or was at the AGM. However, we again stress that we support the new board making appropriate assessment and implementing an appropriate plan.

Conclusion

Whilst the Club Board continue the important work on rebalancing the budgets, it is important to note that the financial challenges mentioned in the Club Board’s statement are not due to fan ownership. Some are keen to make a link that does not exist for whatever reason. We have confidence that our members can work out why that might be.

In terms of the future, TJF have been in discussions with the Club Board about contributions to the budget in future years so that the Club can factor that into their own long-term budgets and financial planning. TJF have pledged significant funding for future seasons (subject to member approval). This is why we encourage fans to join TJF, and to support us financially, as into the future this will be an important, significant and regular recurring revenue stream for the club.

Interesting times...

5 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

I'm surprised he's worse than Campbell on that list, just shows you how far being an apparent Thistle man can take you in terms of perception of how good or bad a job you're doing at the club.

Yup, beyond the cap waving a second tier, mediocre, mid-table finish was his usual result. 

44 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

Thanks to you both for pointing out that our budgeting has been dodgy.  The thousand plus fans who have joined the Jags Foundation and successfully binned Jacqui Low recently were all under the impression everything was absolutely fine, and no one noticed any red flags at all.

I know I speak for a lot of Thistle fans when I say I've often thought down the years - "I wish we were more like Greenock Morton."

It's not our fault your club is a mess. Vent your anger at those who have let this happen.. 

1 hour ago, VictorOnopko said:

i know I speak for a lot of Thistle fans when I say I've often thought down the years - "I wish we were more like Greenock Morton."

Thank you. And who on earth would blame you? We’re giving you something to aspire to:

We’ve successfully completed the transition to fan ownership. While going through that difficult process we’ve still managed to be your equals in terms of league position. We are debt-free. We own our ground outright and are looking to build a new facility adjacent to it. We are well-sponsored. 

And we’re more than happy with our manager. 😁

👍

57 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

It's not our fault your club is a mess. Vent your anger at those who have let this happen.. 

We did. That’s why we’ve now got a new fan ownership group issuing statements about the mess the previous chairman and board left behind.

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

From @thistlearchive on Twitter

image.png.7b3b0d0c1004002b57f0449b01962838.png

His “I’m a Partick Thistle man” chat bought him a lot of time and goodwill with people, didn’t it?

Ultimately he’s had 7 seasons with us (almost all in the second tier) and never really got close to promotion to the top flight. He’s a bog standard manager at this level and even one of the higher budgets in the league (afforded or not) can’t mask that.

Edited by Nightmare

8 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

You'd think Morton fans would be more clued up on the goings on at Firhill considering they care enough to have a multi page thread on their forum about how much they hate us.

You would think the Partick fans would be more grateful to learn from our experience of successfully transitioning to the fan ownership model.