The Partick Thistle thread

41 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

Tiffoney is out of contract in the summer and will be gone I suspect. Holt, Docherty, Sneddon, Turner and Banzo all out of contract too. Quite the rebuilding job for any new manager if all those players leave. We won’t go up so Milne will likely leave but at least we should get some money for him. 

McCall’s signings have largely been good over the piece but that’s not why he’s been sacked. 

I reckon we could have kept him mostly because of his injury issues .. but I reckon he will be off now. 

I understand that’s not why he’s been let go but In my honest opinion Being 6 points off second place at this stage of the season isn’t .. what we were hoping for, but it isn’t a disaster either. 

2/3 player turn around in that transfer window could have worked wonders for us.  My fear is we are going to completely nose dive now.. 

27 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

I think PTFC Trust own the majority of shares. The only thing TJF have is a representative appointed to the interim board, hence why they probably (as per their claim) didn’t know anything about McCall getting sacked before it was public knowledge. 

You’re right - I mis-spoke (typed) that it is TJF in control of the shares. I was thinking more along the lines of the Trust and TJF working together recently, in something closer to the fan ownership model we’ve been waiting for. The Trust ousting Low’s board made it feel like everything was moving smoothly in terms of collaborating between these fan groups, even if we don’t have a democratically elected fan board yet. But if, as it appears, the Trust and/or the interim board have dismissed McCall without consulting TJF then that is a big problem.

1 hour ago, JagsCG said:

Tiffoney is out of contract in the summer and will be gone I suspect. Holt, Docherty, Sneddon, Turner and Banzo all out of contract too. Quite the rebuilding job for any new manager if all those players leave. We won’t go up so Milne will likely leave but at least we should get some money for him. 

McCall’s signings have largely been good over the piece but that’s not why he’s been sacked. 

I reckon we could have kept him mostly because of his injury issues .. but I reckon he will be off now. 

I understand that’s not why he’s been let go but In my honest opinion Being 6 points off second place at this stage of the season isn’t .. what we were hoping for, but it isn’t a disaster either. 

2/3 player turn around in that transfer window could have worked wonders for us.  My fear is we are going to completely 

6 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Are you Falkirk in disguise?

You’ll get Doolan on the cheap and like it… and he won’t last long.

Presumably Imrie was cheap too, and didn’t have much experience. He’s not doing too bad for you lot. Doolan might not be too nice a guy to be a football manager, though - but who knows.

6 hours ago, Nightmare said:

You’re right - I mis-spoke (typed) that it is TJF in control of the shares. I was thinking more along the lines of the Trust and TJF working together recently, in something closer to the fan ownership model we’ve been waiting for. The Trust ousting Low’s board made it feel like everything was moving smoothly in terms of collaborating between these fan groups, even if we don’t have a democratically elected fan board yet. But if, as it appears, the Trust and/or the interim board have dismissed McCall without consulting TJF then that is a big problem.

I don't really see how it is a problem if it was the board that made the decision. Fan ownership should mean we appoint a board to make such decisions, not consult with the fan ownership anytime they want to make them. The rep from TJF on the board will be stuck with the same confidentiality issues that faced the Jags Trust rep years ago, they could know all of this was going on in the background and not legally be allowed to tell anyone including TJF board members.

There's an argument that an interim board shouldn't be making these decisions when they're essentially just there for some stability whilst the structure of how fan ownership is going to work gets sorted out I suppose.

10 minutes ago, Benjamin_Nevis said:

CBA reading the preceding pages, but surely emptying McCall after a good performance away to a team literally no one in Scotland thought they could beat is fucking bizarre to the say the least? 

All we know is he wasn't sacked on the back of yesterday's performance/ result.

ETA: Not that the timing of the announcement would make anyone think otherwise.

Tinpot, and now leaving more questions than answers.

Edited by jagfox

9 hours ago, Nightmare said:

While TJF now own the majority of the shares, I believe we’re still operating with an interim board until all the positions can be filled by properly elected parties.

Which is why the decision to change the management team at this stage is very surprising.

TJF does not own any shares. The PTFC Trust does.

I wonder what would've happened had we hung on for a win if they supposedly had already made their choice.  If they're happy enough for Doolan to essentially interview in the role, may as well have just given him the Rangers game instead.  Seems like there must be more to this, all very strange.

I just hope Doolan isn't a complete disaster.  Would be a lovely story for him to settle us and do a decent job.

I would imagine if Doolan does OK and makes any sort of difference (e.g., some decent wins; performances which look organised and motivated; a play off spot) then he'd get the gig permanently.  If he doesn't, my guess would be BBG would be next in line. 

Very glad that we've avoided any new Archibald era - we have a lot to be grateful for last time around - but it was a long, dreary demise which ended in a similar sort of dismal form and play we've seen under McCall lately.  Never understood why we were paying two assistants either.

19 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

I would imagine if Doolan does OK and makes any sort of difference (e.g., some decent wins; performances which look organised and motivated; a play off spot) then he'd get the gig permanently.  If he doesn't, my guess would be BBG would be next in line. 

Very glad that we've avoided any new Archibald era - we have a lot to be grateful for last time around - but it was a long, dreary demise which ended in a similar sort of dismal form and play we've seen under McCall lately.  Never understood why we were paying two assistants either.

Was there not rumblings when Archie first came on board that the long term plan was for McCall to stabilise the team then head upstairs to some sort of DoF role with Archie taking back over the team after a couple years learning from McCall?

Might have just been fan talk though.

2 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

I don't really see how it is a problem if it was the board that made the decision. Fan ownership should mean we appoint a board to make such decisions, not consult with the fan ownership anytime they want to make them. The rep from TJF on the board will be stuck with the same confidentiality issues that faced the Jags Trust rep years ago, they could know all of this was going on in the background and not legally be allowed to tell anyone including TJF board members.

There's an argument that an interim board shouldn't be making these decisions when they're essentially just there for some stability whilst the structure of how fan ownership is going to work gets sorted out I suppose.

The bolded was more what I was getting at by saying it’s a problem. We’re in a stage of transition between boards and whilst I appreciate certain decisions still need to be made, an interim board making a change of this nature and doing so at such an odd time is the sticking point. Even if (imo) it is ultimately the correct decision.

37 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

TJF does not own any shares. The PTFC Trust does.

Yeah, I corrected that comment later. As above, I’d have expected more collaboration with the fan groups while in a stage of board transition, but if you as a TJF board member didn’t, then fair enough.

15 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Was there not rumblings when Archie first came on board that the long term plan was for McCall to stabilise the team then head upstairs to some sort of DoF role with Archie taking back over the team after a couple years learning from McCall?

Might have just been fan talk though.

McCall definitely spoke about a “move upstairs”, even as recent as his interview at the weekend where he said when he’s finished he’ll do anything the club wants (presumably meaning more of an honorary position, hospitality or even a bit of scouting etc. rather than a DoF). 

The Archie thing would just have been fan talk, Archie has admitted several times that he should’ve left after the Livi play-off matches (Yes I know - he should’ve left after the County defeat), so I see no reason why he’d want the manager’s job at Firhill again he seemed to suit his current role as it gave him more time for coaching. 

ETA; thinking back to that interview I mentioned with Hugh McDonald prior to the Rangers game, McCall really did give no indication he knew his time was up. He spoke about wanting to end his managerial career at the club, but hoping to reach the 1000-game milestone first.

Edited by JagsCG

3 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

Presumably Imrie was cheap too, and didn’t have much experience. He’s not doing too bad for you lot. Doolan might not be too nice a guy to be a football manager, though - but who knows.

Aye, but he won't be cheap now, as with any other manager under contract.

My point is that clubs who get ideas above their station about which managers they can just 'take' often pay the price (Falkirk are still paying for imagining their status as a definitely 'massive club' meant it was a good idea just to 'take' McKinnon).

The people running (sorta) your club are all over the place here and you need to hope they don't double-down and end up making things even worse.

13 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

My point is that clubs who get ideas above their station about which managers they can just 'take' often pay the price (Falkirk are still paying for imagining their status as a definitely 'massive club' meant it was a good idea just to 'take' McKinnon).

The people running (sorta) your club are all over the place here and you need to hope they don't double-down and end up making things even worse.

I don’t think taking McKinnon has been the sole reason of Falkirks problems- they seem to have at one point a very incompetent board, other poor appointments as managers and a completely pointless director of football in Holt who seemed to take the club backwards.  McKinnon really is probably only a small part in the last few years disaster for them, although a part nonetheless 

32 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Yeah, I corrected that comment later. As above, I’d have expected more collaboration with the fan groups while in a stage of board transition, but if you as a TJF board member didn’t, then fair enough.

Sorry yes saw that later!

I don’t think we expected to be consulted on these decisions (for the reason Sandy set out in this morning’s message). But under a functioning set of working together protocols you might have expected a bit of dialogue between letting McCall et al know and putting out the statement.

I will make one observation: the statement was made at 8:12pm. The Women’s game at Petershill finished at 8:33pm.

I’m sure people can fill in the blanks.

1 hour ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Had thought that things had settled down, and looking at the team yesterday, including the bench, it looked like we were pretty much back to full strength,assuming all fully fit. The next few weeks could see us getting back in the race for 2nd, or at least consolidating a playoff position, with games against Ayr, Dundee and Raith. There’s got to be something else going on.