The Partick Thistle thread

1 hour ago, Ad Lib said:

Sorry yes saw that later!

I don’t think we expected to be consulted on these decisions (for the reason Sandy set out in this morning’s message). But under a functioning set of working together protocols you might have expected a bit of dialogue between letting McCall et al know and putting out the statement.

I will make one observation: the statement was made at 8:12pm. The Women’s game at Petershill finished at 8:33pm.

I’m sure people can fill in the blanks.

Caroline Mackie and BBG not aware of situation due their PTFCW team involvement? 

Has Doolan snaked McCall and co a wee bit here? If the decision was made prior to yesterday and McCall wasn’t aware but Doolan has already agreed to take over in an interim then surely there has been conversations in the background with him. 

12 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

So essentially - the fans group that are the new owners - didn't have a fucking clue the interim caretakers were about to bullet the manager?

If that's the case, I'd suggest your club is in serious, serious trouble that far outweighs who your manager is.

An accurate assumption I’d say. Latest forums and news reports still have shed no light or offered any explanation to why McCall was sacked.  (Surely someone has an inkling or a bit of inside info?) and not telling or consulting with the owners of the club before sacking the manager is unbelievable!

Still no official explanation why McCall was sacked and no fans forums offer a reason either.

All very strange and more than a tad concerning. 

1 minute ago, Barney Exactly said:

An accurate assumption I’d say. Latest forums and news reports still have shed no light or offered any explanation to why McCall was sacked.  (Surely someone has an inkling or a bit of inside info?) and not telling or consulting with the owners of the club before sacking the manager is unbelievable!

Still no official explanation why McCall was sacked and no fans forums offer a reason either.

I'd disagree, PTFC Trust cannot directly sack the manager. This is an action undertaken by the interim board of directors. 

I'm amazed anyone can have sat through the recent Accies and Cove games and need an explanation for McCall being sacked. With a few notable exceptions we've been garbage since after the Aberdeen cup game in October and even the spell from the start of the season until then is the exception to the rule for 2022 as we were garbage for the 2nd half of last season too.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

11 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

I'm amazed anyone can have sat through the recent Accies and Cove games and need an explanation for McCall being sacked. With a few notable exceptions we've been garbage since after the Aberdeen cup game in October and even the spell from the start of the season until then is the exception to the rule for 2022 as we were garbage for the 2nd half of last season too.

I wouldn't argue with any of that apart from it seems it is the whens and who ordered the sacking rather than the whys that is causing confusion. 

3 minutes ago, jagfox said:

I wouldn't argue with any of that apart from it seems it is the whens and who ordered the sacking rather than the whys that is causing confusion. 

The post from Barney you replied to said "offered any explanation to why McCall was sacked" to be fair. I think most can agree it's blatantly obvious why he was sacked.

34 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Has Doolan snaked McCall and co a wee bit here? If the decision was made prior to yesterday and McCall wasn’t aware but Doolan has already agreed to take over in an interim then surely there has been conversations in the background with him. 

If Kris Doolan knew he was taking over, I highly doubt he’d have covered the game for Sportsound at Ibrox. When we sacked Caldwell, Kenny Miller was part of the interim management group that took over and he was only at the club through being pals with Caldwell. So I’d imagine it was a case of Kris getting a phone call asking if he’d help take training and him obliging (along with Paul McDonald). 

Edited by JagsCG

2 hours ago, third lanark said:

I don’t think taking McKinnon has been the sole reason of Falkirks problems- they seem to have at one point a very incompetent board, other poor appointments as managers and a completely pointless director of football in Holt who seemed to take the club backwards.  McKinnon really is probably only a small part in the last few years disaster for them, although a part nonetheless 

Sure, there's always more than one factor, but plenty of clubs (Morton included) have made repeated low-level bad decisions and scuffle along in perma-shambles without collapsing into full-blown crisis.

I think the decision to poach McKinnon and the subsequent circus was the threshold point for them: they went down the same season he was appointed and have never made it back.

1 hour ago, Barney Exactly said:

There is no fans' group that are the current owners of the Club. 

The PTFC Trust are the majority shareholder and there is an interim Board in place, which includes a Jags Foundation nominee, while work is undertaken to provide a model for fan ownership that will hopefully take us to a position whereby a credible fans' organisation will be the Club's owners. 

That I suspect is still a bit down the road and leaves the Club in a bit of a flux. 

Interim Board or not, the Club still needs run. Decisions still need to be made. A Board needs the autonomy to make decisions. They will be answerable to the shareholders at the next AGM. In the meantime they have a responsibility to act in what thet consider to be the best interests of the Club. 

I guess you could argue that yesterday's decision at least shows that the current Board are not afraid of making big, controversial calls and aren't falling back on the line 'we're only an interim Board'. 

Whether it is the right decision is a different question altogether. As is whether they handled the situation well yesterday. 

Yesterday was a truly surreal day. 

Don’t think he knew this was going to happen before game as some reports suggest unfortunately results since Aberdeen game have been poor team looked void of ideas last two league games and fans who were terrific on Sunday just were not interested in turning up next couple of weeks could determine where we go regarding play off . Never easy when someone loses their job but football is a results driven business therefore I think he and backroom staff had to depart.

This statement is a bit better than the one from last night, and given lack of "the search is underway for a new manager" would suggest the job is Kris Doolan's for the foreseeable. 

Edited by JagsCG

22 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

This statement is a bit better than the one from last night, and given lack of "the search is underway for a new manager" would suggest the job is Kris Doolan's for the foreseeable. 

I took it that they can't afford to pay for a new manager currently so would expect them to be in charge for as long as we're in the hunt for a play off spot. 

2 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

I am not sure the statement says much more than they don’t think McCall can get us up (even if they did consider we have a full strength squad again.)

It confirms that you were spending money that you patently do not have in order to pursue a gormless 'promotion push'. 

Hope that Doolan is actually an interim (at this stage), regardless of how well he does in the next game or two.

I reckon most Thistle fans would love for Doolan to be the manager at some point, but he only came in with the youths around a month ago. Would hate for an opportunity of him getting the job being ruined based on doing well for a couple of games, then it going south after that because he wasn’t ready. Similar situation to when Archie got the job right enough, but the team were in a much better place, and Archie had done a fair bit of time with the reserves if I remember rightly.