The Partick Thistle thread

Undoubtedly it was better to have crashed and burned under Doolan than to have faded away under McCall, but that was possibly the most horrendous collapse in the history of this football club. Drained. Shell-shocked. Disconsolate. Think we've all been through the wringer in the last few days. Recovery from this may not be so easy...

... was hard to get motivated to assemble the 55th and final match hub of the season, but it's done now, if you can bear to look. The hub carries a good report from Graeme McGarry, as well as several video options, and we're hoping to embed some photos from Donald Wilson soon. Elsewhere, the final squad stats tables make for incredible reading, 130 competitive goals or assists from just 7 Jags (Brian Graham, Kyle Turner, Scott Tiffoney, Jack McMillan, Steven Lawless, Aidan Fitzpatrick, Kevin Holt) which is way off the scale of normality. It's been quite the season in so many ways.

The Thistle Archive →

:detective:   UNWANTED FINAL RECORD

● The closing game of the 148th season of Partick Thistle F.C.
● At 348 days ('All Games') 2022-23 breaks the previous longest season record (1889-90) by 10 days and at 330 days ('Competitive') it breaks that previous record (1995-96) by 4 days.
● Thistle play on the 4th June for the first-time ever. Only 8 calendar dates remain unplayed.
● Thistle field the same starting eleven in a fifth consecutive game, the longest such run since 5-in-a-row in late 2020.
Jack McMillan completes the ever-impressive feat of appearing in every competitive match of the season, and is the first to do so since James Penrice and Blair Spittal, both of whom managed the feat in 2018-19.
Jack McMillan registers his 52nd appearance of the season, putting him joint 6th of all-time in that respect. It's the highest tally since Mo Johnston (55) in 1982-83, and 4 off the club-record (56) set by Davie McParland in 1963-64.
● Amazingly, Thistle have now scored in TEN consecutive first halves. It's the longest such run since March 1938, when an impressive 14-in-a-row was registered.
● In the first half, Thistle go 16 competitive goals without reply, the longest such streak since 16 successive goals were scored in April 2021 (the club's all-time League record).
● Partick Thistle finalise the Scottish record for most goals in a single play-offs campaign, an incredible 19 in 6 games.
● Partick Thistle become the first club in Scottish football to blow a 3 goal lead in any play-offs final. Thistle are the 4th club to suffer such a fate in the play-offs in all, following on from Alloa (2008 & 2023), Forfar (2013) and Montrose (2022).
● Thistle have went to penalties versus Ross County on 3 occasions and have lost each and every time.
● Victoria Park used to be a happy hunting ground, but, for the first time in history, Thistle go 5 competitive games without an away win to Ross County, a run which stretches from 2017 to date.
● With 101 goals in all competitions, the class of 22-23 finish as the outright 5th highest scoring Thistle team of all-time. It's the highest tally since the club-record (121) was set in 1953-54.

ongoing sequences:
● 8 competitive home games without defeat; 4th Mar 2023 to date. (Longest run since: 8 games; 3rd Mar 2020 to 5th Dec 2020. Club-record: 24 games; 5th May 2001 to 17th Aug 2002.)
● 52 consecutive competitive appearances for Jack McMillan, 9th Jul 2022 to date, a new personal best. (Longest run since: Blair Spittal - 57 games, 31st Mar 2018 to 4th May 2019. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)
Edited by The Thistle Archive

Took in the partick performances of the play off's and they were so good to watch and so entertaining,  however you can't blow 3 goal leads and Brian Graham must be the most smug footballer ever , from  running off and pointing to the TV gantry self proclaiming ' I'm man of the match ' to his general attitude despite being pretty much  a  football journey man ,   he definitely got egg on his face for sure  .

38 minutes ago, Fitbafollower said:

Seems like out of contract players have offered less terms

Dundee Kilmarnock Dundee United have been speaking to most of our out of contracted players

budget for next year won’t help Doolan build a squad capable of competing in championship?

I think most people already suspected all 3 of these points to be the case. All yet to be officially confirmed though. 

4 hours ago, JagsCG said:

Been dismissed by someone ITK as completely untrue (well the music bit anyway). The rest could well have happened. Any of them who thought it was done at HT, have definitely got egg on their face now. 

Surely you can’t get anymore ITK than being in the opposite dressing room? If it’s a Thistle related person that’s denied it then it doesn’t surprise me as it doesn’t reflect particular well on that group of players. 

Huge pinches of salt to be taken but this was posted on our forum which goes nicely with a post a few above saying we've been in talks with your players:

Screenshot_20230606_231106_Chrome.jpg

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Surely you can’t get anymore ITK than being in the opposite dressing room? If it’s a Thistle related person that’s denied it then it doesn’t surprise me as it doesn’t reflect particular well on that group of players. 

I don't think the Ross County player would have a great reason to lie but I also don't think playing music in itself is arrogant unless they were all singing along to We Are The Champions or similar, might just have been a superstition or for motivation or something like that. 

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Huge pinches of salt to be taken but this was posted on our forum which goes nicely with a post a few above saying we've been in talks with your players:

There was a hint on your neighbours thread earlier they'd done that, tbh would rather he goes to you as he deserves a crack at the top division and I'd rather he wasn't playing us in the league next season. 

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Would rather not have to play against him next season, so that’s not as troubling as it could be. I think he’s a better player than the guy he’d be replacing at Dundee (although Tiffoney has a lot to prove in the top flight/ he was a fairly average player by all accounts prior to coming to Firhill).

I feel like Tiffoney leaving now whilst is a huge loss, is not quite as big a deal as it would’ve been last summer, due to the form of Fitzpatrick and Lawless, particularly the former of late. 

Edited by JagsCG

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

What's the rundown on him then?

Screenshot_20230607_100227_Twitter.jpg

He’s pish, you’ll probably be best loaning him out to the championship for a season.

In actuality, he deserves another shot at the Premiership so good luck to him. His pace alone is a real asset as it terrifies defences and opens up space for everyone else and, unlike other pace merchants we’ve seen, he actually has an end product a fair amount of the time.

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

What's the rundown on him then?

Screenshot_20230607_100227_Twitter.jpg

On form I wouldn’t swap him for any attacker in our league. The transition up a level again will be interesting to watch, but I suspect he could do quite well for Dundee. Keeping him injury free might be an issue, we definitely struggled to do that at times last season and more this season.