The Partick Thistle thread

5 minutes ago, chattyman said:

Delighted and surprised to see Sneddon sticking around. So out of all the players away the only real to middling losses most folk would say would be Turner/Docherty/Holt/Tiffoney who can be replaced easily enough.

Easily replaced? Yes! With bodies, but of a same standard? On our smaller budget? Doubt it.

17 minutes ago, chattyman said:

Delighted and surprised to see Sneddon sticking around. So out of all the players away the only real to middling losses most folk would say would be Turner/Docherty/Holt/Tiffoney who can be replaced easily enough.

Can be replaced easily enough?  I don’t think that’s the case unfortunately 

37 minutes ago, third lanark said:

Can be replaced easily enough?  I don’t think that’s the case unfortunately 

think Tiffoney will be very hard to replace.  An attacking threat of that kind, that really unnerves opposition defences.  Also I think he helped bring the best out of Graham.

1 hour ago, Ken Deans said:

Shame. Him n Docherty cost us promotion. Not forgiven. Shitebags

Roberto Baggio cost Italy the World Cup.  Total loser.  If he was on my team I’d give him a free transfer and say good riddance….

No way we’re replacing Tiffoney easily. Guys with real pace at our level usually have nothing even vaguely approaching end product, a la Miles Storey.

Tiffoney had pace, and knew how to it. Consistently. It terrified most defenders in our league. We’re definitely going to miss him. 

1 hour ago, chattyman said:

Turner/Docherty/Holt/Tiffoney who can be replaced easily enough.

Convinced you either never watched us play or play too much Football Manager.

Strong argument at least 3 out of the 4 were the best in the league in their respective positions last season.

50 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Convinced you either never watched us play or play too much Football Manager.

Strong argument at least 3 out of the 4 were the best in the league in their respective positions last season.

I am confident, i like to believe we can replace them and have a number of decent targets lined up. At times Tiffoney flattered to deceive, he wasn't Messi! Docherty was a mixed bag, Holt in the main solid but had a few dodgy moments too, Turner again hot and cold. I don't watch games through rose tinted specs although that would be good.

2 hours ago, Highlandmagar said:

Easily replaced? Yes! With bodies, but of a same standard? On our smaller budget? Doubt it.

It ain't as small as you probably think, smaller yes but still substantial enough to challenge for the play offs at a minimum.

11 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Surprised to see Sneddon stay, but not disappointed. Gives us two keepers of roughly similar standard and allows us the flexibility to punt McCready on loan.

They missed penalties, it happens. Awful take. 

They did more than miss penalties, thats an easy way to not criticise.

They have been poor and docherty was missing all play off games. People mistake the odd bit of good off ball play as making them a good player. If he was any good he would be off to a premier league team, where he would get worked out in seconds.

Bannigan sadly is just passed it, not his fault as age comes to us all. Totally bottled it, shame but fact.

The news that Dean Cornelius recently turned down the terms offered to stay at Premiership club, Motherwell, to move instead to….English fourth tier club, Harrogate Town….says something, (but it’s probably not good!) about the state of Scottish football. Cornelius was no fringe player, having played 46 times for the Steelmen last season. (I recall some years ago in similar circumstances, up-coming Stephen O’ Donnell, left Thistle to join lower league, Luton Town. Of course, we now know Luton were at the start of a trajectory which would ultimately see them arrive where they are now-in the top tier, down south.) But, Cornelius’s move sends out a rather negative message and it should make Scottish fans sit up and take a reality check on where the game in Scotland currently is located for many teams.

Edited by Don Kneelcaster

The only Scottish clubs that English League Two clubs can't blow out the water wage-wise are Rangers and Celtic.

They'll easily be paying boys 5-6k a week.

57 minutes ago, Don Kneelcaster said:

The news that Dean Cornelius recently turned down the terms offered to stay at Premiership club, Motherwell, to move instead to….English fourth tier club, Harrogate Town….says something, (but it’s probably not good!) about the state of Scottish football. Cornelius was no fringe player, having played 46 times for the Steelmen last season. (I recall some years ago in similar circumstances, up-coming Stephen O’ Donnell, left Thistle to join lower league, Luton Town. Of course, we now know Luton were at the start of a trajectory which would ultimately see them arrive where they are now-in the top tier, down south.) But, Cornelius’s move sends out a rather negative message and it should make Scottish fans sit up and take a reality check on where the game in Scotland currently is located for many teams.

We've been here before with Adam Rooney, who was one of the most prolific strikers in the Premiership with Aberdeen before being enticed away to the English Conference/National League to play for Salford City.

FWIW I heard third hand (but no real reason to doubt it) that Turner chose Ross County over an English league 2 club who had offered him (even) more money as he wanted to play in the Scottish Premiership rather than English 4th tier 

Edited by Fuctifano